Author Topic: Fusion 360 - MECHANICAL design Tips Tweaks and discussion. (Not Eagle)  (Read 25817 times)

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
Re: Fusion 360 - MECHANICAL design Tips Tweaks and discussion. (Not Eagle)
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2020, 05:47:20 pm »
They could save themselves a lot more flak just by providing a sanely-priced consumer-level product instead of doing the "get 'em hooked then take away feature after feature" marketeering piracy thing. :palm:

"sanely-priced consumer-level product" I'd say free with limitations that don't affect hobbyists much covers that.

if freeloading professionals are a abusing the free version instead of paying what is essentially  nothing compared to running a business,
I can see why autodesk has to do something   

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2020, 08:33:01 pm »
"sanely-priced consumer-level product" I'd say free with limitations that don't affect hobbyists much covers that.

I'd say it doesn't, because that way the paying customers are also paying for the freeloaders, so the full license costs even more than it would otherwise, putting off more potential purchasers.

But surely Adobe have done the maths. Maybe they know that whatever it's priced at, even stupidly cheap, the majority of 'hobbyists' using it now still wouldn't buy a license.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2020, 11:14:11 pm »

I'd say it doesn't, because that way the paying customers are also paying for the freeloaders, so the full license costs even more than it would otherwise, putting off more potential purchasers.

I don't consider hobbyist freeloaders, the freeloaders are those who should buy a license for their business instead of abusing the free version

But surely Adobe have done the maths. Maybe they know that whatever it's priced at, even stupidly cheap, the majority of 'hobbyists' using it now still wouldn't buy a license.

exactly, the hobbyist won't buy it anyway and without sufficient limitations on a free/cheap version some pros will just get that version whether the license allows it or not

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2020, 12:02:45 am »
I don't consider hobbyist freeloaders

How are they not freeloaders?

a person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return
- ODE

That's a pretty apt definition, I'd say.

Offline beanflyingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2021, 05:40:39 am »
Flagrant BUMP  >:D

Just entering my third 'free' year of Startup License as of Today. So if you have the creds for it worth getting this license to see if you like or dislike it before shelling out the $ in particular since some of the nobbling of the 'hobby' version happened. I was given the option to downgrade to Hobby as it expired and keep going too.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/startups
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2021, 04:05:59 am »
Yeah, maybe if I actually get to a point of having a single saleable item I'll look into it... would kindof like to be actually on some kind of profitable roadmap before I take that offer and squander it.

For now, I'll just continue using the sanity-free version and grousing aboot it...  :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2021, 04:29:49 am »
Topic moved to the Mech Eng. section from the EDA section - sort of made sense  :)

Todays Random Fusion 360 use. Quick Drill Template in paper. I have done them in the past as Laser cut ply or Acrylic for repeat use but this is a one off for a accessory panel in my Car. 10 minutes work drop some double sided tape on the back to help avoid any whoops moments  :palm:

One Sketch, extrude the bits I wanted and use the Drawing part of Fusion to print a 1:1 Template.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2021, 03:03:01 pm »
So this is what... indexing the 4 panel attachment screws and correctly locating the pilot holes for a holesaw...?

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2021, 09:39:24 pm »
Fairly much. As the lip around the four main parts is fairly narrow being a few mm out with the holesaw points in particular would be a major cosmetic oops. I have done similar templates for IEC plugs and others I print direct onto my label printer for nibbling/drilling.

I really put it here as an idea of using 3D modelling software to produce a 2D result.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2021, 05:05:36 am »
Yeah, maybe if I actually get to a point of having a single saleable item I'll look into it... would kindof like to be actually on some kind of profitable roadmap before I take that offer and squander it.

For now, I'll just continue using the sanity-free version and grousing aboot it...  :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

There you go you wannabe Canuck. And to others following along, sensible explanation of the 10 Doc limit for the Fusion Hobby License. Also check out some of his other content on Fusion 3d Printing and Laser use. I hadn't looked at it before but looks fairly simple to cope with unless you are a heavy using hobbyist.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2021, 12:16:05 am »
Yeah, no... I've already had problems with projects mysteriously losing their complete history when I go back to them before this new indignity. I don't expect that to get any better once all my projects have been compressed & archived for long-term storage on their secondary servers.

I would so much rather store them locally, which I do export locally as much as possible anyways; now I will start doing it every time I make a new version of something so I can be sure I keep that history intact.

mnem
*outwitting the program that's supposed to be helping me again*
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:36:43 am by mnementh »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2021, 07:44:19 am »
Every tool is a Hammer  >:D

Or in this case some 10mm EVA floor mats meet my Laser Cutter and some Fusion 360. One Beer consumed for this bit now on to the cutouts of the layers.

The Drawer is from the under my vehicles driver seat. BCD325P2 Scanner, BF-F8HP Baofeng and a roughy UHF and all the charge leads and adapter bits I am likely to need on the road.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2021, 02:49:43 am »
Swiss Cheese done over a couple of Coffees. Off to the Laser when I get a bit of clear time. $3 worth of foam estimated and 3 hours time @ $x/hour :-DD

Room for the manuals on the base layer.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2021, 06:42:15 am »
Test fit post Laser Cutting. Just need to glue the layers together and a small manual trim near the lock mechanism is needed and missed during the Cad work.

Fusion 360 exported via the Mapboard Plugin to make life MUCH easier  :-+ https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Detail/Index?id=7055850008078104945&os=Win64&appLang=en

Then into Inkscape for a tweak as my Laser speaks SVG not DXF.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2021, 05:50:20 am »
Today's semi useful Fusion tip learn to use and love the offset face function. Great for making clearances before manufacturing from Laser or 3DP. Not a strict Engineering job but a quick and dirty solution to fudge it into place.

Reason to do this is I twisted off the added BNC connector AGAIN  :palm: and this will stop it attracting cobwebs and as much dust in the shack or more likely its new home of my site bag. Good toy for a sanity check and this one runs within 10 Hz at 30Meg so not to shabby for the few $ and USB or 12V for power.

Rough physical model made first then offset the panels by 0.2mm from the PCB and adjust the tab clearances with the offset face function. Laser cutting tomorrow as it is Beer O'Clock.  :popcorn:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2021, 04:35:48 am »
And $2 worth of Acrylic and a few minutes Laser time later :-+ Measured once cut once and it fits :o

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2021, 02:04:37 am »
Well worth a watch. Covers 3D sketching and routing of wires. I used some of this with my Laser layout model earlier this thread but Brad does a great job explaining it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2021, 10:47:08 am »
I will start a separate thread when I get to some construction but a little Jigging was todays Fusion for the first part of upgrading my 3018 Trash Router/Engraver in particular for PCB milling. I have been sitting on this Mobile phone repair clamp for way to long always with this in mind :-[ Aliexpress Seller I used

Part of it's problem was always the flex in the supplied bed if you tried to clamp to it so I used to run heavy MDF then clamp to that which was a PITA. The base on this holder below is solid 6mm Aluminum so between it and the 5mm sacrificial MDF will lock the base up well.

One end of the four clamps has a 0.9mm deep rebate already cut into it and as they are 50mm wide plenty of area to provide even pressure on a PCB for routing. With adding a few extra holes and tapping them (eight) it will hold 10x20cm or 15x13cm boards fully supported and with some modified clamps on two edges a bit larger or more likely a different base but in reality larger boards are likely to be sent out and I would put up with the wait.

Shown is the sacrificial spoilboard that will get milled 'flatter' before use when attached to help get around some of the issue with PCB height variation. Also pre milling probing of the PCB surface via Flatcam. Spoilboards will get the Laser cutting treatment because I have one so nice and quick and accurate each time for hole locations.

Brushless motor and improved Z axis are the next and biggest bits to design.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 11:22:31 am by beanflying »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2021, 06:58:32 am »
So I have an upcoming job I want to electrically drive with a toothed belt. The plan is to use a Laser Cut Pulley out of Delrin but I might try one from Acrylic as I already have it in stock and the torque loads are fairly low.

So I went looking for how to model a GT2 (or 3) belt and there is a bit of a knowledge gap among the usual suspects listed in the opening post. I found this Youtube one below but his model breaks (likely due to a rounding/positional error) on higher teeth counts. Basically it generates teeth in space then tries and fails to stick them to a separately generated internal body.

I have had similar issues before with Fusion and circular patterns. The best solution is to first model the stock and then model the removal and pattern that feature. Feel free to play with both the one from the video above and mine here https://a360.co/357uhVM Mine does break the second Sketch occasionally but removing and reapplying two tangent constraints fixes it again  :-// Solve the problem and win a prize  ;)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 07:17:50 am by beanflying »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2021, 01:42:18 pm »
Looks like a reluctor ring off an old VCR servo-drive motor.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2021, 04:40:04 am »
The concept of 'Adequate Modelling'.

This model of a cheap 90 degree 10RPM drive is a model I ran up today. Omitted plenty of details like external gearcase screws and most of the rear motor detail as they simply are not useful or needed. Important bits are correct overall dimensions shaft details and mounting screw locations to fit into the larger project. Anything resembling a how to make the gearbox or motor would just be fluff and a time waster. KISS

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2021, 04:55:20 am »
 :-//
 :wtf: sort of standard shaft size is 5.4mm/0.212598" ?  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2021, 05:11:51 am »

:-//
 :wtf: sort of standard shaft size is 5.4mm/0.212598" ?  :scared:

:-// Diameter of 6mm and a Flat section 1.2 off that for a flat clamping surface. At least that was what I saw it as  ;)

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline AmnevaR

• Contributor
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2021, 06:52:32 am »
I don't think NYC CNC youtube channel was mentioned (I have searched NYC CNC in this thread and found nothing )
https://www.youtube.com/nyccnc
They have great tips and tricks for CAD/CAM in Fusion 360

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2021, 08:03:09 am »
I don't think NYC CNC youtube channel was mentioned (I have searched NYC CNC in this thread and found nothing )
https://www.youtube.com/nyccnc
They have great tips and tricks for CAD/CAM in Fusion 360

Some good CAM stuff for sure and a mix of CAD. Will add it to post #1  :)

The following users thanked this post: AmnevaR

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf