Author Topic: Getting 10 small steel plates manufactured  (Read 7208 times)

Offline geggi1

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Getting 10 small steel plates manufactured
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2021, 02:31:11 pm »
Have you contacted IKEA and asked if they can provide replacement plates? At the local IKEA i have got spares several times.

Online Alex EisenhutTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2021, 04:11:47 pm »
Have you contacted IKEA and asked if they can provide replacement plates? At the local IKEA i have got spares several times.

They will mail you spares for current catalog parts. The Jerker series was dropped about 15 years ago, they replaced it with the Fredrik series which IMO is inferior. I have a Fredrik and while it's still much better than average, it's weaker and smaller than the Jerker. The Fredrik uses simple "tab A into slot B" for the shelves and therefore no bolts.

And in any case, the Fredrik was also dropped years ago.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2021, 05:55:02 pm »
You may be able to fix it with new bolts of reasonable quality and a thread forming tap.  Thread forming taps do not cut the thread but reform the metal. Here is an example: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/352725227441 (use a good lube to aid reforming threads)
Thread forming screws are also available with similar thread pattern as the taps and if you can find such would probably suffice for a few uses.
Both the Ikea screws and the steel they were threaded into are very soft. 

The following users thanked this post: Alex Eisenhut

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2021, 08:31:43 am »
Alex,

First I am somewhat new to this BB and hope it is OK to offer to do this work for you here. In addition to electronic shops, I also have a machine shop. The nut plate, by itself seems to be dead simple and easy to make. For that alone, I could make ten of them for about an hour of time and the cost of the materials. I am in the US in Texas and do not know about shipping to Canada.

But from your photos, it appears that the nut plate mounts to either the uprights or some other member of the desk and that mount is more messed up than the nut plate itself. They appear to be welded together. So, do you have a way of attaching the new nut plates? Perhaps additional holes in an angle bracket so it could be bolted together. Or do you have a local welding shop which can do the work? This may determine the type of steel used as some alloys will be more suitable for welding. 

I would also need some better photos showing exactly where and how they are used so I could be sure the new ones would be suitable. Otherwise, you would have to assume all responsibility for that.

Also you appear to need new screws. I could provide them, but would need to know more about them; mostly the exact length needed. And would a different screw thread be acceptable or must it be the same, M6 thread as the originals. I have more M5 hardware than M6 and more English (inch sized) fasteners than metric.

Being new to this board, I do not see how to send a private message with my e-mail so we could communicate that way. If you are interested, perhaps you could send one to me with your e-mail.

Edit: I did manage to send a PM with my e-mail. Respond via e-mail address if you wish to continue.

Paul A.

Yes the plate is much more like 4mm thick. I call it a plate but it's much more like a strip.

I knew I was in trouble when I unscrewed the bolt and I felt it start binding towards the end of the travel, I knew it was damaged. The threads are clogged with material, guess I also need a M6x1 die.

Maybe there's some M6 screws I can buy but I wanna keep these.

I'm wondering if there's some industrial standard to this. The holes seem to be on 22mm centers.

edit: seems to be more likely to be M6X0.75mm screws, and in any case it looks like it's the threads in the screws that have been crushed, trying to re-tap them might not even work.

I just found some M6x1 bolts in my junk and they are coarser than the IKEA screws. Guess my visual estimates suck.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 08:37:53 am by EPAIII »
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline Trailing Edge

• aeronautical/mechanical engineer
    • sparweb.ca - DIY Wind Turbines and other projects
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2021, 03:23:19 am »
Howdy Alex,
I think this is the kind of thing you should be able to fix.
If your apartment isn't the place for cutting and drilling metal, consider finding a Makerspace.
This one is in Montreal:

https://www.heliosmakerspace.ca/

(I don't live in Montreal - any more - and I don't know anything about this particular place, just figured I could pass on the idea and see what you think.)

Online Alex EisenhutTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2021, 11:28:08 pm »
Found a decent set of metric taps and dies at the local hardware store. Figured it can't hurt to try to redress the threads: seems to work.
I wonder how much weaker the retention is now. Guess I over-thought the whole problem because I didn't have a set of taps and dies before.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf