Author Topic: gold plated brass or bronze rods ? (or silver)  (Read 2058 times)

Online coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: gold plated brass or bronze rods ? (or silver)
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2024, 01:01:13 am »
Actually I think the filled process can't have more then 14k. I can't find anything but 14k anywhere.

im just gonna buy it from this guy. I realized I can do a measurement with two samples in the breadboard to see whats up. I forgot you could measure it late. The french and american standard looks like 1/20th. i wonder if its chinese gold fill standard (1/200)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 01:10:08 am by coppercone2 »

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2024, 08:36:29 am »
instead of cannibalizing resistor leads or using flimsy wire or like some people flimsy resistor leads
Oh, the drama.  I've never found that necessary to do, but understand your aversion to cannibalism.  It can lead to Kuru.
Quote from: coppercone2
when I buy a transistor is had 3x gold plated long leads. like 5cm. when i wanna make them people are up in arms for some reason.
No one has said you can't make them.  Go ahead and do it.
Quote from: coppertone2
Actually I think the filled process can't have more then 14k. I can't find anything but 14k anywhere.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.  The process is fine for 24 carat gold. 

You seem to be wandering and have yet to say why you want 24ct  gold and what specific electrical properties that provides that are necessary for a diode or any project you are currently doing.

The following users thanked this post: Overspeed

Offline Overspeed

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2024, 10:32:20 am »
You can just use regular gold 0.1" pin headers for this purpose. Square or round, I assume square would be better..

Hello

I agree that far easier to use existing pin from header , surplus connector made by well know companies ( not made in .... cheapo ) there is plently on Ebay and other website

.... DIY gold plating is just unrealistic as that complex and costly both for surface preparation / coating / control .....

14 Carat ''gold'' is not gold that an alloy of copper to produce shinny low cost jewellery but that not corrosion proof at all .

That could be be far more easier if you can describe the exact purpose of your '' coppercone '' project

Regards
OS
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 11:38:08 am by Overspeed »

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2024, 01:35:10 am »
where did you find this wire that is more then 14/20 (karat weight) filled with gold?

You can find 24 k plated, I see nothing about 24k filled. It's some kind of mechanical process. You can find 18/30 as the next best 'filled' wire, theoretically. I assume that by the time they get to 24 the proportion of % would be so low it might a well be plated

maybe DIY plating 24k over 14k filled wire would be the best bet to get the best wire
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 01:48:31 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Overspeed

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2024, 05:06:19 am »
Hello

Gold wire are available from supplier for jewellery and mostly use for gold chain manufacturing

14 carats even 18 carats for electronic purpose is just a joke

24 carats in fact 99.99 Gold wire are available from various source as Johnson Mattey . Merck and also electronic companies depend how much you want o purchase , most of these companies don t deal with '' hobby maker ''

that not gold filled than an alloy , gold plated jewellery wire is not produced with know electrical properties as that not the purpose of this type of wire

Regards
OS

Offline Overspeed

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2024, 05:46:18 am »
What I like about the silver is I can cut it on carbide, lap it a bit on a diamond file and then I should be able to see the thickness of silver under a microscope. gold im not so sure about

Hello

?????????/ lap silver with diamond file ????????? silver is soft any basic HSS tool works and abrasive paper as 3M polishing paper work and that same for all wire except hard steel or tungsten wire

Since the beginning we still dont know for is the planned purpose of your ''wire'' not include the hardness as wire for wring and wire for pins have not at all that same hardness and the same straighness up to the same tensile value

Regards
OS

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2024, 06:13:48 am »
well fine diamond is all i have on hand im not buying something specific it seems to work on everything, i think it will be fine to expose the cross section. Its in many thousands of grit. not buying special sand paper to polish the cut wire. it should look like a cut in half orange

I don't get what your saying, you can get plated or filled 24k 99.999 percent gold on bronze wire? I don't want solid gold wire. I want it on bronze or brass core. I can get solid pure gold wire but thats not what I want.

Right now I got

a) 20AWG yellow brass (which I silver plated with kool amp)
b) 20AWG phosphor bronze (i dunno if kool amp will take to bronze to silver plate it, will try)
c) 20AWG berylium copper, silver plated from manufacturer
d) 20AWG gold filled brass from jewlery supplier (14 karat)

I will see which one I like the best.

I can also check red brass
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 07:05:20 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Overspeed

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2024, 07:24:54 am »
Hello

im not buying something specific it seems to work on everything

I repeat diamond abrassive are used for hard material and not at all material including for soft material soft material will '' glue'' on diamond abrassive

Seems to work ...as use as wire in ??? core to conduct electricity in an electronic circuit ......  |O |O |O |O not included or avoided the metallurgical structure of an anneal material to a cold draw material

Silver plated copper wire even pure silver can be purchased from military surplus store for few USD per meter with proven quality and not DIY quality in the garage .

I make silver plating for electronic contact are clearly that a HELL process for small batches IF there is real quality requirement as surface morphology ( SEM microscop ) hardeness , surface porosity ....

'' I like the best '''  is .....  :o :o :o :o :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: as the use ?????????

Regards
OS

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2024, 07:34:34 am »
buddy its over rated that the diamond will clog I have been using this thing for a LONG time on soft stuff like copper (i.e. flatten after brazing with silver). so long its oiled well it seems to work

I did a bunch of copper, brass, aluminum on it in the last 5 years and last month I sharpened about 20 knives to razor sharp on the same block

its paranoia about the diamonds getting broken, even by totally soft copper. relax

the only thing I have seen it fuck up is like stone wheels. it really digs into the stone if its motorized. by hand i would say soft metal don't do shit to it, and it cleans just fine in the ultrasonic bath

and it don't rust. i heard too much crazy bullshit about these diamond plates (do carpenters just make this up?), just make sure its oiled. the internet seems to think diamond plate will  catch on fire in a thermite explosion LOL
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 07:43:48 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Overspeed

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2024, 11:34:39 am »
buddy its over rated that the diamond will clog I have been using this thing for a LONG time on soft stuff like copper (i.e. flatten after brazing with silver). so long its oiled well it seems to work

I did a bunch of copper, brass, aluminum on it in the last 5 years and last month I sharpened about 20 knives to razor sharp on the same block

its paranoia about the diamonds getting broken, even by totally soft copper. relax

the only thing I have seen it fuck up is like stone wheels. it really digs into the stone if its motorized. by hand i would say soft metal don't do shit to it, and it cleans just fine in the ultrasonic bath

and it don't rust. i heard too much crazy bullshit about these diamond plates (do carpenters just make this up?), just make sure its oiled. the internet seems to think diamond plate will  catch on fire in a thermite explosion LOL

Hello

You seems to have an incredible machining and material knowledge so I will stop to lost my time to try to explain you what is the reality

Good luck with your '' ????????? '' cheapo project

|O |O |O |O

Regards
OS

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2024, 05:16:35 am »
the 14k gold filled wires are great for a bread board, it slides in very smooth and while formable, its stiff enough to make a "plug in" component that you don't need to worry about bending the leads after its installed. I would highly recommend it for adapters. soldering it in circuit (because its thick gold) might not be a great idea but its really good for prototyping, unless you strip the gold from the soldered area. I can touch up my PCB adapter if the joint cracks easily so its non issue there

nylon jaw pliers are good for forming the leads to have a perfect fit. the golden wire is highly polished and feels dead smooth to install, I got the half hard version

the resistance is about 20 miliohms (kelvin) for 20 cm (1/2 that of the yellow brass that I silver plated, which was 0.04 / 20cm). The brass 'structural' rods I guess are worked yellow brass, which has substantial resistance.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 05:21:04 am by coppercone2 »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2024, 05:56:04 am »
the 14k gold filled wires are great for a bread board, it slides in very smooth and while formable, its stiff enough to make a "plug in" component that you don't need to worry about bending the leads after its installed. I would highly recommend it for adapters. soldering it in circuit (because its thick gold) might not be a great idea but its really good for prototyping, unless you strip the gold from the soldered area. I can touch up my PCB adapter if the joint cracks easily so its non issue there

nylon jaw pliers are good for forming the leads to have a perfect fit. the golden wire is highly polished and feels dead smooth to install, I got the half hard version

the resistance is about 20 miliohms (kelvin) for 20 cm (1/2 that of the yellow brass that I silver plated, which was 0.04 / 20cm). The brass 'structural' rods I guess are worked yellow brass, which has substantial resistance.
Now tell what it has to do with gold.

The following users thanked this post: Overspeed

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2024, 05:56:59 am »
oh go pull some wire out of a printer or something

Offline Overspeed

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2024, 08:03:42 am »
Now tell what it has to do with gold.
[/quote]

Hello

Good question .... I am eager to read the answer , I just go to the supermarket to purchase beer and popcorn .

Regards
OS
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 08:49:28 am by Overspeed »

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2024, 05:14:00 am »
compared the gold filled wire to nugold wire (red brass alloy).

To the eye it looks similar, but the actual gold wire is a better reflector. The price is much lower. The conductivity is fine for nugold.

However, I feel that the gold filled wire inserts better into the breadboard

Offline Overspeed

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2024, 07:46:27 am »
compared the gold filled wire to nugold wire (red brass alloy).

To the eye it looks similar, but the actual gold wire is a better reflector. The price is much lower. The conductivity is fine for nugold.

However, I feel that the gold filled wire inserts better into the breadboard

Hello

Nugold is not corrosion proof at all and sensible to human sweat and finger contact as Nugold is a copper alloy , shiny is just  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Nugold even if that cheaper than 99.99 Gold metal , is costly see attachement .... 30 USD per inch for 16 Gauge wire ...... compare to 3 USD average cost for surplus aerospace quality copper / silver coated wire .....

In this thread you write that you are '' stingy '' as you reject to use the right abrassive or HSS tools and want to use diamond tools for every thing because ...... but you are ready to pay 1200 USD ( 40 inch ) of nugold rather than 3 or 5 USD for regular available copper wire silver coated AND for breadboard use .... :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD |O |O |O |O |O

I will purchase more pop corn

Regards
OS

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2024, 08:11:41 am »
Nugold even if that cheaper than 99.99 Gold metal , is costly see attachement .... 30 USD per inch for 16 Gauge wire ...... compare to 3 USD average cost for surplus aerospace quality copper / silver coated wire .....

In this thread you write that you are '' stingy '' as you reject to use the right abrassive or HSS tools and want to use diamond tools for every thing because ...... but you are ready to pay 1200 USD ( 40 inch ) of nugold rather than 3 or 5 USD for regular available copper wire silver coated AND for breadboard use .... :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD |O |O |O |O |O

I will purchase more pop corn

Regards
OS
Nu Gold does not cost nearly as much. https://contenti.com/round-nu-gold-jeweler-s-bronze-wire Still using it in electronics instead of normal copper wire is insane even if you got it for free.

Offline Overspeed

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2024, 11:18:42 am »
Hello

Nu Gold does not cost nearly as much. https://contenti.com/round-nu-gold-jeweler-s-bronze-wire Still using it in electronics instead of normal copper wire is insane even if you got it for free.

Hello

From my understanding Nugold is 14 gold so not bronze wire plated with gold , the screen print I have linked is 30 USD for one inch of 16 gauge wire !!!!

Gold plating have several processes ( electro deposition , PVD .. ) and all are not the same from direct plating to plating on nickel

Morphology of the plated surface and surface covering is also a concern but also hardness and thickness is that for mechanical contact purpose .

Use any '' solid gold '' or gold plated wire for just breadboard  is just ?????  :-// :-// as breadboard circuit are just prototypes and do not solve track resistance , ground plane and other mandatory parameters linked to PCB .

another ''shiny'' but efficient solution is to use platinum wire .

Regards
OS

« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 06:31:36 pm by Overspeed »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2024, 12:22:31 pm »
^your screenshot is for real 14k (583/585) gold. Nu Gold is just copper-zinc brass. Some similar alloys may also contain aluminum AFAIK.

Offline Overspeed

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2024, 04:41:32 pm »
^your screenshot is for real 14k (583/585) gold. Nu Gold is just copper-zinc brass. Some similar alloys may also contain aluminum AFAIK.

Hello

Yes that for 14 carats that '' gold alloy '' but even for jewellery that a poor choice as that tarnish very quickly

For other product s gold plated brass / bronze that not at design or able to be use a electrical conductor as there is no specification on the plating except the thickness ( without any real quality control for most of them .

Shiny is not a valid technical criteria , for serious purpose there is solution as rhodium plated copper wire . silver plated , nickel plated .... even pure silver wire that available at affordable price from mil surplus companies .

I use thermocouple platinum / Gold for my lab ..never think a single minute to use hundred USD wire value on a breadboard , just ridiculous  idea

Regards
OS

« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 06:34:03 pm by Overspeed »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2024, 08:40:57 pm »
14K is OK as tarnishing goes, 10k sucks. 18k while has better appearance and basically does not tarnish, is quite a bit softer, so less durable. None of that is or makes sense for electronics though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf