Author Topic: good twist lock connectors?  (Read 6956 times)

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
good twist lock connectors?
« on: June 15, 2023, 06:25:48 am »
I was looking at twist lock connectors, to unconvert my TIG machine from 110V to 220V.

I thought this one looked good, while expensive, I did order it. Hypertherm does this type of thing with their plasma cutters, but they just use regular connectors, that are face to face mating. That way you can easily change voltages.

https://origin.hubbell.com/hubbell/en/Products/Electrical-Electronic/Wiring-Devices/Watertight-Devices/Locking/Watertight-Devices-Twist-Lock-Connector-30A-250V-AC-2-Pole-3-Wire-Thermoplastic-elastomer-NEMA-L6-30R-Yellow/p/2328660

I like it because it has like a shroud that the other connector fits into. Sometimes I noticed I can kick into wire or something laying on the floor my shop, and it feels like that wire could easily get into a face-mating twist lock connector, and that collar/shroud will protect it some, and also keep dust out of the junction. Its a bit expensive though.. but it is a fairly serious circuit.

I thought about neutrik connectors but I am not sure if they are appropriate.

Does anyone have any favorites?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 08:02:01 am by coppercone2 »

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: good twist lock connectors?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 11:34:56 am »
I thought about neutrik connectors but I am not sure if they are appropriate.

Does anyone have any favorites?

Neutrik do the powerCON range, specifically for mains use. This includes a rugged 32A version. I don't have personal experience of these but I'm a fan of the Neutrik twist lock connectors in general, good value for money and rating.... https://www.neutrik.com/en/products/audio/powercon
Best Regards, Chris

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 03:34:46 pm »
I'm very familiar with the heavy-duty Hubbell twist-lock connectors, which are common in the US but apparently unknown in the UK and EU.
The only thing to watch for is that the twist-locking is very secure, and if an accident exerts excessive force on the cable against the mated pair, it can pull free from the connector before the connector fails.
If that leaves a live wire, you have a problem.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 05:19:05 pm »
hmm I did not think of that possibility.

Well 90% of the time it should be up against a wall under a table. I guess for field use, if that ever happens, I should put together a little 'shelter' to throw over the junction out of ply wood, that looks like a little hardened aircraft shelter.

Do you know how the powercon does with dust? Because here is the usual situation for the tools:

1) polishing machine, sander, bench grinder, angle grinder, brush may be used near the connector
2) tons of dust and shit accumulates on top the wires

Since they keep talking about audio, I thought maybe they were not anticipating tons of dust in the design. But given the last clean up, I wanted components sourced from say... desert military equipment.

It might be a bit better now since hopefully there will be not as much cleaning of O/A welds (kinda filthy), and I am looking into experimenting with electro cleaning metals (brush), and using maybe the plasma cutter more with some templates etc.

The much bigger looking hubble connector looks like its easier to blow out with contact cleaner IMO. The powercon looks like it might be a PITA if it gets contaminated with polishing wheel residue (wool+gritZ+wax).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 05:21:14 pm by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 01:59:17 pm »
I finally got that hubble connector. Its really big.  For some reason I just did not think it was quite this big. But it looks well built.. will wire it up soon

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2023, 03:10:31 pm »
Follow the NEC.  For both voltages, there are specific connectors.  Some twist lock and others don't.  It would be a very bad idea to wire 220V to a 110/115V receptacle (source).  The other way around would not be smart, but less of a problem, probably.  For your 220V, do you need 3-wire or 4-wire?

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2023, 03:23:19 pm »
well I got the hubble connector listed in this thread after a month nothing is gonna change unless something breaks at this point.

BTW it has very good attention to detail, tons of different glands and seals included for various wires.

I also plan to ferrule it with a WAGO crimp tool in the screw terminals.

But I must say, its BULKY. Its like a tennis ball.

But it looks good enough that you can grind concrete next to it so long the cap is on and then wash it with a hose and there should be no problems. 1 step away from being suitable for Atlantis

The only screwup I can see is closing it without wiping down the lid first. And the visibility is very high and it has a distinct look, so if someone is thinkin about using it in a job site, its unlikely to be mistaken for something you can step on.. the shape looks like the type of shape that would cause you to fall if you step on it so it should be avoided lol.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 03:29:38 pm by coppercone2 »

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2023, 04:00:56 pm »
Do you know how the powercon does with dust?
All depends on the type of powercon,the original blue and white 20A version and the 32a are only ip 20,the new true models are ip 65 when mated,theres an option cap that keeps the ip65 rating when unmated ,but without the cap id guess ip20 at a push

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 04:53:55 am »
I installed it on the welding machine with a adapter cable, so if I choose to, I can build a cable to run the machine off 110V again.

Appears the machine turns on with no problems, so I call this twist lock cable a success.

Considering the bulk of the big ass 3 prong wall connector, it does not appear that there is a problem with the weight of the adapter.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 04:56:24 am by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf