Author Topic: Help With 3D Model  (Read 3237 times)

Offline bostonmanTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Help With 3D Model
« on: July 21, 2021, 03:58:10 am »
I'm trying to recreate a footing for a metal stand with L shape legs.

I've attached a picture of the foot and the 3D model I've created so far. The problem: I can't get the part to slope down at an angle so the L shape metal leg fits inside the slot.

I'm using SketchUp online which has limitations, but I managed to get it partly extended at an angle. I selected the bottom and 'moved' it, but it seems it's not pulling the correct portions.

The attached skp file has two models. The one on the right (assuming it looks the same in other software) is just a play section whereas the one on the left needs to mate with the base.

Can anyone help with this?

• Super Contributor
Re: Help With 3D Model
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 04:53:04 am »
Was my request too difficult to adjust or did I not supply enough information?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 06:24:46 am »
Move it to the Mech Eng section rather than the Electronics projects section might be a better place for it.

Finding an alternate to Sketchup ASAP too might help  ;)

But on topic this is how I would do it in Fusion 360. Create a base sketch of the triangular foot and then in this case a 3D sketch to sweep that geometry along. Example shown is 5 degrees both ways from the corner as it isn't obvious. Not sure how Sketchup handles swept geometry or shape so good luck  :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 07:35:05 am »
With the power of BEER  :popcorn: this approach might be easier and or more universal for other CAD packages.

Sketch your base footprint and extrude it, then create an angled plane from the rear 45 degree of X degrees to the plane. Create a sketch on that now angled plane with the geometry of you angle stock and an offset for the plastic. Extrude to the foot and then up as required.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 02:30:12 pm »
Move it to the Mech Eng section rather than the Electronics projects section might be a better place for it.

Ooops, I didn't look down the list enough to see a Mech Eng section.

I didn't see a 'move' option. Should I (and can I) delete this and post the message in Mech Eng?

Thanks

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 02:39:17 pm »
Doesn't maybe matter for this one if you are comfortable with a solution from above but it sort of keeps E and M a bit separate. Down the bottom left as per below anyway is how to move your own topics as per the attachment.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 02:47:02 am »
I accidentally asked this question in the wrong section and moved it here.

All I'm trying to do is push/pull at an angle but I can't figure out how. Can anyone help?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 03:38:10 am »
Had a quick search for getting sketchup to do this and this ugly approach turned up https://designerhacks.com/how-to-make-an-angled-cut-in-sketchup-sketchup-q-a/

So using this create your extrusion holder as square stock, then cut the bottom at an angle of X, rotate that cut part back flat to an origin plane, then stick it onto a base bit. Horrible workflow but it should get it done.

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 07:30:21 pm »
If you're still after Sketchup help I've used it before and might be able to answer some questions.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 02:10:08 am »
That link didn't work.

If you're still after Sketchup help I've used it before and might be able to answer some questions.

Take a look at the .zip file I included in my initial post and the question I had.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf