Author Topic: how to wire tip ring and sleeve for sensors  (Read 1796 times)

Offline crouchoramaTopic starter

how to wire tip ring and sleeve for sensors
« on: January 08, 2023, 12:47:17 am »
HI
I am using phono stereo 6.5mm connectors for various sensors on my home built CNC machine. I would like to know if there is a good or bad way of wiring 5 volt power through the connectors.
at the moment I am using sleeve for shield /negative, the ring for signal and am using the tip for +5 volts.
Does anybody have some advice here.
Thanks
me

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
Re: how to wire tip ring and sleeve for sensors
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 01:00:03 am »
Does anybody have some advice here
dont do it, when plugging/unpluging  the tip often  makes  contact with the other connections

The following users thanked this post: EPAIII

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 05:39:36 am »
"Generally" if you are only using microswitches you should be ok from an electrical noise point of view but shielded to ground (not negative of a PS) and wires up the middle (negative, positive and signal for proximity sensors if you are using them)  is what you should be doing. That said if it is a small one like a 3018 (small DC spindle) or a 3D printer then don't stress to much about the shielding.

If you want to use connectors then DIN style (metal bodied) would be a much better alternate over the 6.5mm and as in the previous post no chance of getting a contact you don't expect when plugging in or out. I picked up a used 6090 Chinese router a few months ago WITHOUT limit switches  :palm: and it came with empty holes on the case so I will be doing the DIN thing in the back of the box when I get to it. While I have some spare proximity switches more likely I will just go with longer lever type micro switches on this one.

I might consider putting some copper sleeve I have left in stock over the Spandle  :-DD wires to ground as the cheap and cheerful inverter is bound to be noisey.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 08:06:26 pm »
"Spandle"? I love it!
Nice connectors, but not DIN though (yours are better). I know them from CB radio microphones etc., but am unsure of the correct name. EDIT: common term seems to be GX16.
Can be recommended, robust and with very good strain relief.

BTW, it's 6.35 mm or 1/4" phone jacks, not 6.5 mm.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 09:07:17 pm by Benta »

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 08:25:28 pm »
I might consider putting some copper sleeve I have left in stock over the Spandle  :-DD wires to ground as the cheap and cheerful inverter is bound to be noisey.

inverter? so there's three phase AC at ~240V on a male connector?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 12:24:19 am »
"Spandle"? I love it!
Nice connectors, but not DIN though (yours are better). I know them from CB radio microphones etc., but am unsure of the correct name. EDIT: common term seems to be GX16.
Can be recommended, robust and with very good strain relief.

BTW, it's 6.35 mm or 1/4" phone jacks, not 6.5 mm.

Din for the Sensors as they are easy to get the others were just what it came with. I have a small stack of the plastic connectors below I really like too from other jobs so I might use them yet.  AliX Link

inverter? so there's three phase AC at ~240V on a male connector?

Big Clive Deathdapter style  >:D

So many small dumb things on this one but I got it really cheap and it will finish up as a small Plasma Cutting Table rather than a Router including internally disconnecting the Inverter.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 12:33:16 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 11:02:33 am »
A higher quality alternative to those DIN connectors would be what is commonly called the XLR series of power connectors. These are the ones where the three pin version is frequently used for professional audio, but they are actually power connectors and there at least are four and five pin versions easily available. They have a push-button style latch and would be less susceptible to coming lose due to vibration.
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 07:52:55 pm »
XLRs are nice, but also much chunkier.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf