Electronics > Mechanical & Automation Engineering

how to wire tip ring and sleeve for sensors

(1/2) > >>

crouchorama:
HI
I am using phono stereo 6.5mm connectors for various sensors on my home built CNC machine. I would like to know if there is a good or bad way of wiring 5 volt power through the connectors.
at the moment I am using sleeve for shield /negative, the ring for signal and am using the tip for +5 volts.
Does anybody have some advice here.
Thanks
me

themadhippy:

--- Quote ---Does anybody have some advice here
--- End quote ---
dont do it, when plugging/unpluging  the tip often  makes  contact with the other connections

beanflying:
"Generally" if you are only using microswitches you should be ok from an electrical noise point of view but shielded to ground (not negative of a PS) and wires up the middle (negative, positive and signal for proximity sensors if you are using them)  is what you should be doing. That said if it is a small one like a 3018 (small DC spindle) or a 3D printer then don't stress to much about the shielding.

If you want to use connectors then DIN style (metal bodied) would be a much better alternate over the 6.5mm and as in the previous post no chance of getting a contact you don't expect when plugging in or out. I picked up a used 6090 Chinese router a few months ago WITHOUT limit switches  :palm: and it came with empty holes on the case so I will be doing the DIN thing in the back of the box when I get to it. While I have some spare proximity switches more likely I will just go with longer lever type micro switches on this one.

I might consider putting some copper sleeve I have left in stock over the Spandle  :-DD wires to ground as the cheap and cheerful inverter is bound to be noisey.

Benta:
"Spandle"? I love it!
Nice connectors, but not DIN though (yours are better). I know them from CB radio microphones etc., but am unsure of the correct name. EDIT: common term seems to be GX16.
Can be recommended, robust and with very good strain relief.

BTW, it's 6.35 mm or 1/4" phone jacks, not 6.5 mm.

langwadt:

--- Quote from: beanflying on January 08, 2023, 05:39:36 am ---I might consider putting some copper sleeve I have left in stock over the Spandle  :-DD wires to ground as the cheap and cheerful inverter is bound to be noisey.

--- End quote ---

inverter? so there's three phase AC at ~240V on a male connector?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version