Electronics > Mechanical & Automation Engineering

Hydraulic press tooling ... what to get?

<< < (4/6) > >>

Zeyneb:

--- Quote from: Brumby on November 17, 2021, 12:04:49 pm ---I might just start with using sockets as they have a range of sizes - then step up when the need arises.

--- End quote ---

In the other thread you mentioned you might want to use it for bushings in engine mounts of your wife's car. Maybe you can have a more careful look into that car and measure some diameters before you buy some tooling. Or even buy some raw steel pieces to make something custom.

You know, sometimes I do visit my local salvage yard just to put my digital caliper on some parts of an identical car to determine if I have the right stuff to complete a repair. It sucks pretty hard to have a car in pieces and then to realize you don't have the right tools to complete it properly. And in your case your wife is complaining about it.

--- Quote from: Brumby on November 17, 2021, 12:04:49 pm ---Bean has a long standing enabler - and we tend to take the mickey out of each other....

--- End quote ---

Alright, fine.

Benta:
Make the press dies yourself on the lathe.
I regularly work on my car in a DIY garage. They have a huge box of ad-hoc press dies, and if you don't find one that fits, make it and add it to the selection.

Brumby:

--- Quote from: Benta on November 17, 2021, 06:56:04 pm ---Make the press dies yourself on the lathe.
--- End quote ---
I don't have a lathe... **

Yet.  ::)
--- Quote ---I regularly work on my car in a DIY garage. They have a huge box of ad-hoc press dies, and if you don't find one that fits, make it and add it to the selection.

--- End quote ---
That was the plan.

** (Well, actually I do - but it's a woodworking lathe.  It's still in it's box a year later - but it was the last one and they wanted to clear it out, so I got it for a price I just couldn't pass up.)

beanflying:

--- Quote from: Brumby on November 17, 2021, 12:04:49 pm ---Quite so.

Bean has been a long standing enabler - and we tend to take the mickey out of each other....

So... I wonder what else can I blame him for ..... 

--- End quote ---

I will get myself off the hook for suggesting the vice types at least  ;) Back side of the casting isn't flat so without a fair bit of rework or a custom mount (a welder made one maybe  :-DD ) not usable on a press.

Brumby:
I already have a couple of ideas for that.  A metal lathe and a welder would feature in the solutions, though.  Even at the cheap end, there's about $3k on top of what I already have.

:palm:

Why do you keep putting ideas into my head?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version