Author Topic: pferd aluiminum cutting carbide grinder wheels  (Read 2966 times)

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
pferd aluiminum cutting carbide grinder wheels
« on: June 25, 2021, 12:04:36 am »
What do you think of this wheel?

It looks like a total beast but
1) it is expensive
2) is this safe? I have some concerns

it looks like you can turn into a human milling machine for nonferrous metals and cast iron from what I have been reading. Very tempting.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 12:17:58 am by coppercone2 »

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: pferd aluiminum cutting carbide grinder wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 09:43:52 am »
1) I don't need 4 minutes of video and ridiculous music to show how to mount a new wheel on an angle grinder.
2) Even an HF mill will do better than that.  A fly cutter is much cheaper, but any endmill will work.
3) Use a table saw with a carbide blade.  Works great with aluminum.  Be sure it is a decent table saw.  Our company shop in Minnesota routinely did that for rough sizing aluminum at least up to 2" thick -- including hardened alloys.  Maybe even thicker, but I didn't observe that.

Online ace1903

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 12:44:48 pm »
Use case for this tool is quite limited. On thin parts it will grabby and dangerous. On thick parts it puts lot of load on the machine.
In one part of the video one can see that operator puts lot of force in order to remove material and loses its ability to fine control material removal rate.

For home shop for aluminum I use jigsaw with blade for metal and lot of oil for lubrication. It is slower but control is very fine.
My millings machine with 6 inserts has 4kw motor and it is 2tones of cast iron. Angle grinder with more cutting edges and less mass is recipe for disaster.

I have one injury from angle grinder and will never try to use something like this.
Maybe with some training it can be used in some repetitive job (in production of some product where hands movement can be memorized)
but it is not general purpose tool for home shop.

Part needs to be in fixture and properly tightened. Any inexperienced person will try to use this as normal angle grinder and chances that working piece will fly away  at some moment are really high.
If I have angle grinder with this mounted on it, I will keep it under locking key storage. 

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 01:28:11 pm »
keep in mind too the video recommends retightening the screws every 5 minutes of operation

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 01:44:56 pm »
Dodgy. No thanks!

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 06:10:55 pm »
But the PFERD brand seems like a very strong brand name, that is my main reason for not immediately throwing the idea into the place with the chainsaw wheels.

How much energy can that carbide hit you with if the bolt shears?

I know they use the same kind of cutting setups for milling machines now, but the RPM must be significantly smaller. I wonder what the minimum stable RPM is you can use with that tool on a variable speed angle grinder

I am convinced PFERD must have put some kind of intense safety screening before advertising this tool.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 06:14:06 pm by coppercone2 »

Online ace1903

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 08:49:50 pm »
I think that this product has niche market. It is good for machining shops where all employees are trained machinist.
In machining shop all materials have known properties. Experienced machinist will know the difference between aluminum 6061 and 7050 or 7075.
I am not experienced but think lower speeds in hand operated tools are more dangerous than high speed.
Newer milling machines go up to 24k rpm regularly when milling aluminum with proper coolant.
It is not carbide chunk that will hurt you. Dangerous part is if grinder slips from your hand when it will grab larger chip.

I see on YouTube regularly experienced guy that makes castings that is using grinder without that protector for the hand.
I injured my finger when I tried to grind sharper edge on hoe. Protector was on but on wrong position.

If you look at the video you will see that angle between blade and working material is specified on the blade.
There is shown picture how you need to hold the grinder in you hands. Much more details than regular ones that are printed on lades for cutting metal or stone.

That is why I say it is not intended for home shop and amateurs that work once per month and keep aluminum pieces with unknown origin.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 09:04:58 pm »
it says it can do copper, brass, cast iron

why does the aluminum alloy so much if it can handle so many materials? for welding I understand what the hell it can do, but my experience with different alloy aluminum for machining is low

The one thing I can see is if someone tries to take it to an extrusion

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 10:03:31 pm »
I can't appreciate any use in a machine shop.   As mentioned, trimming or cutting is easily done on a table saw.

@coppercone

What are you trying to say here,
why does the aluminum alloy so much if it can handle so many materials? for welding I understand what the hell it can do, but my experience with different alloy aluminum for machining is low

Some alloys of aluminum are easily welded by almost any method, others by tig or spot, and others by only spot welding.  Which alloys have you welded and by what method.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 10:48:55 pm »
trimming or cutting is easily done on a table saw.
great if you've got a table saw, i aint and i dont know anybody who does,however ive  an  angle grinder ,which is easier to chuck in the back of a van and set up and use on site.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 11:05:18 pm »
I am saying if the cutter is rated for alot of different kinds of metals, how will different aluminum alloys effect it? it cant be worse then copper

by welding I mean if you try to weld disimilar alloys or dirty castings or whatever there can be very severe problems, but if a cutter is rated for carbon steel, aluminum and copper, can just the spectrum of aluminum somehow bring it to being worse then copper?

i wanna know what property aluminum can get that makes it nasty for cutters that seems to be capable of as soft and gummy as copper and as stiff as cast iron

none the less I do see a ER visit if someone tries to take it to a harbor freight aluminum trailer, but if you have properly made stock without extrusion or voids, what alloy is there to watch out for?

the only thing I can think of is really bad castings that might get flung off because of crack propagation? My hunch would not be to use it on anything welded or brazed though, that can break because their shitty processes when it comes to aluminum IMO
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 11:08:51 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 11:48:07 am »
One must still consider the cutting speed.  A 10,000 rpm, 4" angle grinder produces about 10,000 SFPM (surface feet per minute).  That may be OK for aluminum, but I would not use it for cast iron.  Recommended speed for grey cast iron in 220 to300 SFM and malleable is 400 to 450 SFM (https://www.suncoasttools.com/PDFFILES/WhitneyTool/Catalog/35.pdf).  There is also the problem that grey iron can harden to what was/is called "white" iron.  That is very hard.  Copper speeds are also lower than for aluminum, even for machinable alloys.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 12:08:42 pm »
 :o Reminds me of the carving blades for wood. 8.06 for Stumpy's oops, done and the red stuff exposed in a fraction of a second.

A former worker of mine who went on to be a Stonemason had a 9" Grinder grab on a cut and it bounced across the front of his upper leg. Even with Kevlar pants on the damage was fairly ugly.

Now onto carving Cast Iron and Aluminum with the same item. Look up thermite before going down that path if you are doing both in particular in the same area :scared:

Angle Grinders have little to zero respect for the fleshy parts of a body so play safe.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 12:14:11 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf