Author Topic: Precision Grooving tool  (Read 4106 times)

Offline xzswq21Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Precision Grooving tool
« on: November 03, 2021, 11:46:16 am »
Hello

The cross section of turning tools is 8x8: (unfortunately in our country I couldn't find 8x8 turning toolset, they only have 16x16 and 20x20 tools)

For the turning tools I have chosen a 8x8 toolset from WABECO:
https://www.wabeco-remscheid.de/catalog/category/view/s/drehstahl-satze/id/638/?product_list_limit=32

but I have a problem. as you see in the below picture I need a precision grooving tool to make such slots with a 1.5mm width, 0.7mm depth and 0.02mm Accuracy.

I found a precision grooving tool at page 3 (from Graf-Werkzeugsysteme in Germany):
https://www.phorn.co.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/media/PDF/2015_Catalogue_Sub-Sections_EN/Carbide_Grooving_Tools_Chapters/S274.pdf

but I couldn't contact the company because they only accept a company email.

Does anyone know such a precision grooving tool?
Thanks

❤ ❤

Offline Carel

• Regular Contributor
Re: Precision Grooving tool
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 03:09:22 pm »
Just buy the 8*8 10 euro parting tool in the link and go grinding. That's life in turning.
For a 1.5 mm "precision groove" you need a tool of 1.3-1.4 mm width. Dig in and finish left and rigth.
The precision is not in the tool, it is in the operator.

https://www.wabeco-remscheid.de/rund-ums-drehen/abstechstahl-halter.html

The following users thanked this post: xzswq21

Offline xzswq21Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 05:01:01 pm »
Just buy the 8*8 10 euro parting tool in the link and go grinding. That's life in turning.
For a 1.5 mm "precision groove" you need a tool of 1.3-1.4 mm width. Dig in and finish left and right.
The precision is not in the tool, it is in the operator.

:)  I didn't show you the complete design. The groove is very accurate. When you want to produce thousand of things and another country must evaluate the accuracy and the quality, it's better to use a reliable tool.
❤ ❤

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 05:21:14 pm »
You don't specify whether it's +/- 0.02 mm or 0.02 mm in total, so I will assume the former as it's the most generous case.
The tolerance of those Horn inserts is +/- 0.02 mm which is your entire tolerance budget. There is an additional +/- 0.015 mm indexing tolerance. The datasheet doesn't specify which axes this affects, just "indexability length". There is also no tolerance on the position of the grooving width relative to the reference plane, which could be this "indexability length" they're on about.
So clearly relying on the tool geometry to achieve tolerance is not the way to go.

That said, Horn tools are good quality and I like them. I've bought used holders from eBay before and bought new inserts from local tooling places.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, xzswq21

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 05:58:46 pm »
What Carel said. You use a narrower tool and go in zigzag-wise.

The following users thanked this post: xzswq21

Offline Carel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 06:41:40 pm »
:)  I didn't show you the complete design. The groove is very accurate. When you want to produce thousand of things and another country must evaluate the accuracy and the quality, it's better to use a reliable tool.

You should'nt play hide and seek. One does'nt need the design to advise on a tool. "Very accurate" makes me doubt that very design, it is a flexible term. If you want to outsource, you have to come up with shop language.

If you yourself can't decide on the quality and of course the proof of concept, but depend on another country for quality raises other questions. Start near, go far. Start far, fall near.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 06:30:49 am »
For the highest in precision... Here is the link to generic Chinese ebay 1.5mm grooving tool! 
1.5mm Carbide Insert MGMN150-G + MGEHR1010-1.5 groove cutt-off Lathe Tool holder
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165161178616

This thing actually does a decent job in my decidedly un-precision garage shop.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf