Author Topic: random useful esoteric tool thread  (Read 1986 times)

Online coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
random useful esoteric tool thread
« on: March 03, 2024, 10:10:41 am »
Getting a 5 or 10 of these is invaluable.
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Maxmoral-Stainless-Spatula-Laboratory-Tapered/dp/B08QCV4YQZ

They just work for snap hinges. just keep jamming them in around the perimeter while you are working open a case.

also, you can bend it to make a right angle screw driver thingy that is long and thin. Enough to tighten a transistor screw thats otherwise not accessible.

also thinking about sharpening one chisel like a. Put red heat shrink on the handle and maybe etch a "sharp" stencil word on the blade.

and you can probobly bend them and notch+file them so they fit in each other for extra torque. kinda like weird extensions.

and cut a notch into one, braze on a right angle segment of the spoon into the notch and file it so its like a 90 degree offset long flathead driver.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 10:43:22 am by coppercone2 »

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: random useful esoteric tool thread
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 01:43:06 pm »
Generally, I use plastic on plastic.  The larger pry bar was made in about 1980 and has served me well.  The spatula is from the mid-1960's.  It is slightly magnetic SS and branded Fischer Scientific.  I tried bending an L as you suggest and broke the tip off years ago.  As for the guitar pick, you don't need to learn how to play one before buying the pick.  Mine was given to me by a friendly music shop owner.

As for multipurpose tools, e.g.,  chisel, screwdriver, etc., I avoid them.  Use a chisel for chiseling and a screwdriver for driving screws.

EDIT: I have also found old, dull single-edge razor blades useful.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 01:45:20 pm by jpanhalt »

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 07:27:06 pm »
its for when you have impossible situations. its stiff enough to make a custom screw driver for a flathead on annoying ass shit. Like heatsink near transformer with adhesives and stuff where its hardly accessible (SMPSU).

Or some weird chassis.

For a 8-32 screw to press down a heat sink its basically enough. Its more controllable too then like the ultra thin right angle screw driver (japanese brand). Sometimes you can get it 90% of the way there with the DIY tool and then use a real driver for the last bit.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 07:48:59 pm »
its for...impossible situations...on annoying ass shit.

That's when you need a good tool, not some piece of "ass shit" that will make a bigger mess.   :-DD

To each his own.  Get the spatulas and bend one to 90° and see what happens.  Now, if you use heat to bend it, you will likely destroy its stainless property.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 08:47:21 pm »
you can passivate it with citric acid if you use heat. I did not use heat IIRC. I am telling you its a good screw driver.

the right tool means grinding down a 20$ screw driver. heat sink screws are often the absolute worse in more complicated power electronics and this is sufficient.

this tool is OK
https://www.amazon.com/Anex-6102T-Profile-Driver-Handle/dp/B0016VAIBI

but the spatula can do jobs that can't 

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 09:20:09 pm »
What also works quite well are the metal strips embedded in old (or new) windscreen wiper blades. They have convenient bend and snap indents on the strip to make various sizes.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 07:43:59 pm »
I have an iSesamo Opening Tool I keep here for some mild poking about. If you feel rich you can buy some tools from here, https://store.ifixit.co.uk/collections/prying-opening

I recently bought some Locking Straight & Curved Clamp Hemostat Forceps type things as they are handy for holding random things that you don't want to drop, or fishing things out when you drop them in a place you don't want to drop things.

Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 08:34:54 pm »
I have their jimmy but being able to stake it when you make your way around with 5+ scoops is worth it. use as many as you have IMO

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf