Author Topic: replacement controller  (Read 2976 times)

Offline atkinsonTopic starter

replacement controller
« on: May 18, 2022, 09:26:19 pm »
Where in the world can I find a reasonably priced replacement controller?   :-/O
Complete working control box to suit CNC machine "CNC 6040 USB Mach3 2.2KW USB Controller".
The only ones I have seen advertised cost nearly the price of a complete CNC Machine.
Thanks
Norman

Offline BMK

• Contributor
Re: replacement controller
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 09:39:46 pm »
What's the symptoms? These units are unfortunately invariably junk, but usually kind of modular and repairable.
Describe the problem and give a few internal photos.
You might also want to try mach3 specific forums.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 09:46:42 pm »
Original unit was destroyed.
I was using the image to depict what was, but am open to buying any suitable controller.
Norman

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 09:39:42 pm »
Search "CNC control box" on Aliexpress and you'll find the same thing. The prices for the box alone are a lot less than the full machine ($2k+).
You haven't stated the cost of what you originally paid for the machine or a budget for the replacement box.

If you have time, build your own GRBL box.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 10:22:50 pm »
Thank you for your reply.

I would like to try building my own grbl controller - (I am retired and time is something I have plenty of.)

However, my knowledge of a grbl. system is extremely limited. I will look for web pages referencing grbl and detailing the build process.

Norman

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 10:38:57 pm »
Once you find a GRBL board, post here along with what parts the system uses (stepper motors, etc).

https://mellowpine.com/cnc/best-cnc-grbl-controllers-for-hobbyists/
https://openbuildspartstore.com/blackbox-motion-control-system/?ref=KyOC57DNCt-i8M

You'll need at least something with a 0-10V VFD output if you are driving an existing VFD.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 08:26:37 am »
What is your current PC and O/S? What Software are you currently using for CAD and CAM?

Are you going to stay tied to a parallel port/MACH3 type solution or are you going to move forward to a LAN/USB or even stand alone solution?
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 09:24:50 am »

2 computers, One Win 7 (very old laptop and very slow} One laptop (fast) with Linux
Would prefer either LAN/USB or stand alone system.
Like the OpenBuilds BlackBox Motion Control System but can not get past the "Spam Check" part of their web site so I have been looking for another company that stocks this item. No luck so may have to explore other options.
Thanks

Norman

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 09:47:11 am »
Ok much as I have an aversion to Linux a LinuxCNC board would make a lot of sense then. Do your Windoze7 box a favour and put it in the same hole with your old controller ;)

The more GRBL based Arduino options are not where I would want to go with a 6040 (or larger), my little 3016 plaything GRBL and associated freeware is 'ok' and I am doing some mechanical work on it currently to make it a better PCB/light engraving option. UGS, Candle etc here are 'ok' for simple stuff.

I am currently tossing around a standalone DDCS Expert for my bigger Router http://www.ddcnc.com/?m=home&c=View&a=index&aid=154&lang=en or a dedicated LAN based controller that will make CAM intergration with Fusion360 an easier option. Mach4 is one of the options and boards for this option are fairly easy but I am not sold on Mach4. Still weighing the options  :-//
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 01:33:23 pm »
Ok much as I have an aversion to Linux a LinuxCNC board would make a lot of sense then. Do your Windoze7 box a favour and put it in the same hole with your old controller ;)

The more GRBL based Arduino options are not where I would want to go with a 6040 (or larger), my little 3016 plaything GRBL and associated freeware is 'ok' and I am doing some mechanical work on it currently to make it a better PCB/light engraving option. UGS, Candle etc here are 'ok' for simple stuff.

I am currently tossing around a standalone DDCS Expert for my bigger Router http://www.ddcnc.com/?m=home&c=View&a=index&aid=154&lang=en or a dedicated LAN based controller that will make CAM intergration with Fusion360 an easier option. Mach4 is one of the options and boards for this option are fairly easy but I am not sold on Mach4. Still weighing the options  :-//

GRBL works just fine with  Fusion360

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 11:07:27 pm »
Yep I have been outputting from Fusion to my small Router but GRBL controllers are the limit IMO for more serious routers.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2022, 12:04:22 am »
Yep I have been outputting from Fusion to my small Router but GRBL controllers are the limit IMO for more serious routers.

what are those limits?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2022, 01:33:41 am »
The USB connection for a start in an Electrically noisy environment. Issues with Spindle control and even false starts  :o Curve interpolation limits. Add to this the multiple options for firmware and issues with compatibility with boards. No where near a complete list. It simply is not a good option for serious CNC gear.

If you want open source and like the OP has really only one decent PC option with Linux on it then LinuxCNC and the boards that go with it make sense.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2022, 02:01:39 am »
The USB connection for a start in an Electrically noisy environment. Issues with Spindle control and even false starts  :o Curve interpolation limits. Add to this the multiple options for firmware and issues with compatibility with boards. No where near a complete list. It simply is not a good option for serious CNC gear.

that's not GRBL, that's crappy boards, you don't have to run GRBL on an anemic AVR on an ebay special clone board

and "multiple options for firmware and issues with compatibility with boards", I'm sure there's also an endless variation of boards and configurations with linuxcnc

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2022, 02:10:20 am »
No it is NOT just hardware issues. It is fine for low demand and I am not taking it off my small router.

https://github.com/grbl/grbl/issues

https://github.com/gnea/grbl/issues

These before you get to a lack of FEATURES you get by going to LinuxCNC, Mach3 or 4 or other dedicated 'real' CNC options

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-questions/38507-linuxcnc-vs-grbl

Limiting what you can get out of a better or larger CNC device by using GRBL is DUMB!

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2022, 12:32:14 pm »
No it is NOT just hardware issues. It is fine for low demand and I am not taking it off my small router.

https://github.com/grbl/grbl/issues

that's ancient and deprecated

https://github.com/gnea/grbl/issues

if you don't insist on AVR I use this: https://github.com/grblHAL/

These before you get to a lack of FEATURES you get by going to LinuxCNC, Mach3 or 4 or other dedicated 'real' CNC options

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-questions/38507-linuxcnc-vs-grbl

Limiting what you can get out of a better or larger CNC device by using GRBL is DUMB!

sure, but we were talking a 6040, not some big industrial machine with servos, tool changers, etc.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2022, 12:57:23 pm »
Nowhere have I said it isn't an option but there is better around which for some reason you insist on arguing against any possibility that other options exist and should be considered :-//

GRBL is simply a technically inferior option with worse garbled support for little to zero $ saved over a LinuxCNC solution. This is a simple and basic truth.

It is not your place to 'limit' others in where they can take a 6040 Router. They are not limited to basic steppers or no tool changer and there is plenty around who have tinkered way more than the base platform warrants. There is also plenty of exceptionally well made similar sized machines now available so basing the controller for X size so use Y platform is also not sensible.

Starting with a restriction on moving forward because you saved a few $ and went with a worse option for a controller remains a Dumb choice.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2022, 11:23:39 pm »
If you want open source and like the OP has really only one decent PC option with Linux on it then LinuxCNC and the boards that go with it make sense.

So which boards would you use then? Post some suggestions.
OP will still need: stepper driver, VFD, power supply, etc. Which should be similar regardless of GRBL or LinuxCNC

DDCS appears to be $300 on its own? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000562938720.html
I like the idea but, it locks you in to only the features they've implemented.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2022, 11:29:40 pm »

2 computers, One Win 7 (very old laptop and very slow} One laptop (fast) with Linux
Would prefer either LAN/USB or stand alone system.
Like the OpenBuilds BlackBox Motion Control System but can not get past the "Spam Check" part of their web site so I have been looking for another company that stocks this item. No luck so may have to explore other options.
Thanks

Norman

Spam check when signing up is just a recaptcha check, try another browser?
I created account ee_temporary111 at mailinator.com and password ee_temporary111 can just change the email once you log in I think.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2022, 01:11:46 am »

So which boards would you use then? Post some suggestions.
OP will still need: stepper driver, VFD, power supply, etc. Which should be similar regardless of GRBL or LinuxCNC

DDCS appears to be $300 on its own? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000562938720.html
I like the idea but, it locks you in to only the features they've implemented.

Not specified by the OP, only said 'controller' is dead so until told differently Steppers and VFD are likely ok in the old box. Also opening a can of worms on Steppers open or closed loop and Servos it definitely worth another thread even then.

With the DDCS Expert it has a bunch more functionality over the earlier (and still good) 3.1 you linked http://www.ddcnc.com/?m=home&c=View&a=index&aid=154&lang=en I am still looking at it as it represents a good chunk of change. Getting good quality information on it is fairly much limited to a farcebook group but they seem to be getting a fair bit out of them. Manufacturer support - not a lot.

Currently I have an older Planet
CNC Board on it but the software is a bit clunky and is behind what I would like to see in features and a path moving forward. It just needs to go but it does work.

LinuxCNC as I stated earlier is not 'at this stage' on my list as adding Linux (not mentioning the war do that elsewhere there is a thread) is not for me without a very real need and no alternative. But for someone who effectively only has a Linux box sure why not it works well by most accounts.

Mach3 and or 4 are the Elephants in the room and there is any number of Boards good and Bad but I am not 100% sold on the software either. Mach3 unless you already have hardware really should be avoided IMO for a new build.

I have had a bit of a look at the Acorn offering but it is really expensive by the time I get it to this side of the world with some features and extra bits. Still on the shortlist at this stage. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy/acorn_cnc_controller.html
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 10:50:16 am by beanflying »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2022, 10:56:20 am »
Damm this thread it made me too some more serious looking over the last few weeks.

UCCNC Controllers depending on which one you pick are MACH 3 & 4 compatible along with their own software they are still developing  :-+ https://cncdrive.com/UCCNC.html

This controller in particular makes a lot of sense any of the 'better' Chinese ones are about 60% of this price with zero support unlike this with proper backup (several Oz bricks and mortar stores).  :-+ :-+

Offline kbrill

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2022, 05:28:25 pm »
Agree fully with  beanflying :

HOPE THIS ADDS PERSPECTIVE:

Placed this order with them 2 days ago

Upgrading controller existing K2cnc 4' x 8" CNC router
Poor quality factory wiring, connectors , controller and switches ,crudely implemented Power supply. Minimal documentation

Will be adding VFD & spindle later as well as numerous as yet speculative functions
Upgrading to Ethernet interface and a well documented modular expandable upgrade path is the goal 

Should note that machine is otherwise well and cleanly built around 2009, beyond initial setup up was barely played with and built with industry standard components exclusive of the toy like controller and power supply .

Will be reused:
4 Gecko G320 DC servo drives 
4 CUI devices AMT103-V encoders

Will at least initially use their recommended low cost software UCCNC

Note that this invoice does not include the numerous required RJ45 terminated cables , other wiring , connectors , power supplies etc .

I was very impressed with the rapid response and quality of the pre purchase technical support . However I was provided with a full parts list by them that was comically inappropriate , inaccurate by omissions , quantities and even some pricing .

List clipped from actual invoice:

C76 - UC300ETH Multifunction Board.

SKU: C76_B-C76-UC300ETH-DRC76R1-UCCNC_B

Main Board

1 x C76 - UC300ETH Multifunction Board $160.00
   1    $160.00
UC300ETH Controller Included

1 x UC300ETH ETHERNET MOTION CONTROLLER $145.00
   1    $145.00
Din Rail Mount Option

1 x Din Rail Support for C76R1 $22.00
   1    $22.00
Control Software

1 x UCCNC License File Bundle $55.00
   1    $55.00

C78 - RJ45 CONNECTION BOARD

SKU: C78
   1    $12.00

C34G320 - Driver to RJ45 Connector Board G320 Drivers

SKU: C34G320
   4    $37.00

C46 - Differential to Single Ended Converter

SKU: C46
   4    $33.20

C72 - Differential Line Driver

SKU: C72
   4    $26.00

C48 -EXT_E-STOP & Probe Connector Board

SKU: C48
   1    $18.70

C27 - Ethernet RJ45 Breakout Board

SKU: C27
   4    $15.20
Subtotal    $524.10 [ Specified attachment is not available ]
Shipping & Handling    $15.25
Grand Total    $539.35

(772)237-0867

Hours of Operation:
9-5EST.

CNC4PC

Drawing supplied by CN4PC is almost identical to the generic upgrade configuration I had decided upon , exceptions will probably be confined to the fan and power supplies .

This is obviously not the most economical solution available
* CD_2-C76R2_4.pdf (799.6 kB - downloaded 27 times.)
Hope this is helpful to the discussion

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2022, 07:18:41 am »
Another I didn't mention partly as I had decided against it for my solution is the Masso non PC solution https://www.masso.com.au/

Fairly expensive compared to a PC tethered option but it might suit some others.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf