Author Topic: screw grab compound?  (Read 4566 times)

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
screw grab compound?
« on: December 23, 2023, 09:07:42 am »
I see there are compounds meant to help extract busted screws. A few youtube videos seem to show success.

Does this stuff work good?
https://www.baselabtools.com/Screw-Grab_p_1904.html

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: screw grab compound?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2023, 10:02:00 am »
Seeing is believing.  Apparently those adhesives work great, for those users.

In sum, adhesives can have a use, but they will not extract a rusted, 3/8" broken stud from an engine block.  I prefer other methods.  The method must be adapted to the situation.   

For Phillips head screws that have ruined slots, but are not otherwise stuck, I have used epoxy.  For more difficult instances , I have used LH drill bits, taps, and/or screws to get them out.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 10:06:09 am by jpanhalt »

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2023, 07:44:46 pm »
If a screw head is not in a recess, then using a small vice (one you can hold in your hand, not something big fastened to a table) to grip across the sides of the head often lets you twist even a pretty rusted screw with a stripped head free. If it is in a recess, running a power drill backwards against the screw head sometimes works, use a drill bit you don't care about and hope if somewhat grabs the damaged remains of the screw's cross/slot/hex... as it turns, over time as it spins there are many chances for it to grab the stripepd head and start unfastening.

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 09:14:42 pm »
Pick up a set of vessel JIS screw drivers. They don't cam out as much as the phillips/positive ones.

Pickup a impact driver. The turn the way you want to undo and hit with a hammer. Very good at getting some stuff out.

Left handed drill bits are also handy.

The grip glues etc are handy with allen or torx stuff as I think it fills the gap and prevents the rounding in the first place. I have often just used epoxy glue for that, even hot glue does the job.

I have managed a few times with just a bit of inertube rubber or a rubber band to give some extra grip.

Hmm makes me wonder is a rubber on the end of a drill bit would help with some stuff.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2023, 09:49:52 pm »
yeah I heard putting a rubber band on a joint helps too, like wide brocolli band

but this compound seems nice to have because I can leave it around in smaller tubes or syringes and use with whatever screw driver i got where ever I am

i think ima try it soon

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 06:07:32 pm »
A mixture with something like silicon carbide or diamond grit, combined with something to make it stick such as petroleum jelly is probably a good starting point for DIY.  And you can make it without the extreme marketing markup of those big brand names. To give you an idea, diamond costs around EUR300/kg. It is after all just a carbon allotrope.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 06:38:16 pm »
well it requires to know which grit will be good to make the purchase pay off

I know I can experiment with different abrasives / pastes but I don't exactly have a abrasive materials laboratory

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 07:33:17 pm »
A rubber band can work in a pinch of there's enough irregular shape in the head for it to grab on to, but if the head is rounded out smooth or the screw/bolt is seized or just really right (such as when rusted, or in hardwood) then the best bet is a set of screw extractors. These consist of a special drill bit to size the hole in the head properly to accept a matching reverse-threaded bit that bites into the head while reversing in a power drill.

Have to be careful though not to over-drill out the hole, or you'll drill off the head completely and be left with only the shaft of the screw/bolt, which if small will probably have to be drilled completely out.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2024, 07:15:42 pm »
how about putting a dash of electronics silicone into a screw to act as rubber? So long you have cure time it adheres pretty good.

I had to undo a screw that had some silicone in the head and thought of this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf