Electronics > Mechanical & Automation Engineering

sheet metal grommet for panels?

(1/4) > >>

coppercone2:
I see some equipment has grommets made of shiny metal installed on holes that feed wires. Very much like the kind you find on a curtain.

Do you just use the same stuff that is sold for like tarps on sheet metal for chassis, or is there better/purpose built stuff for this?

floobydust:
I can't quite understand what you are looking for.
There are wire rivets on PC boards that have large wire flying leads, to prevent pads from getting ripped off.
Cable grommets are plastic to stop sheet metal sharp edges from cutting the wires.

jpanhalt:
Is this what you are asking about?
https://www.electriduct.com/Round-Metallic-Finish-Desk-Grommets.html

There's no reason a standard plastic grommet can't be plated.  A grommet like used on traps would seem to be more difficult/expensive to install.  Rather than play a guessing game, please post a picture.

coppercone2:
no, they have basically tarp grommets in chassis. Like the ones in a pair of jeans. But everyone I found is for textiles or soft materials in description, yet I see them in sheet metal up to say 1/2 inch diameter. Like for feed through into chassis mount inductors that are shielded.

https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTMEmore-Grommet-Surface-Replacement-Accessories/dp/B077TD6D7Z?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A34X17GYN3LO6W

Like the electrical manufacturer of those

IanB:

--- Quote from: coppercone2 on February 19, 2023, 06:46:16 am ---But everyone I found is for textiles or soft materials in description, yet I see them in sheet metal up to say 1/2 inch diameter.
--- End quote ---

It doesn't matter what they are "for". You can use them anywhere they will fit, if you so choose. It's up to you.

That said, a large box of assorted rubber grommets costs peanuts at Harbor Freight, so I don't see the point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version