Author Topic: Shelly Products  (Read 5253 times)

Offline PixieDustTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Shelly Products
« on: November 19, 2023, 08:34:25 am »
I was interested in purchasing a Shelly Power Meter:

https://www.shelly.com/en/products/shop/shelly-plus-2-pm

But when I went to specifications, I noticed that its operating temperature range is -20 to 40C. This immediately set off alarm bells so I started doing some light digging. Turns out the things run really hot and aren't even certified for Australia:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/shelly-2-5-getting-hot-to-touch-63-c-external-case-should-i-be-worried/175376/9

There's no way I'm putting something into my wall that runs up to 90C before shutting off. I also learned that Australian power cables are rated up to 70C, so I don't know, these things sound really dangerous. How have they been certified anywhere other than Iceland? These are borderline dodgy technology.

Am I overlooking something?

Does anyone have any alternatives that will work in Australia?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Shelly Products
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 10:33:09 pm »
It looks like all of their stuff is rated 0 or -20 to 40C. They say there is an automatic temperature shutdown of 95C, but yeah, I wouldn't buy it for anything other than maybe LEDs.
This is an incredibly common device no? Should be able to find other vendors, eg sonoff, etc.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline PixieDustTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 11:52:26 pm »
People are seeing them run to over 70C even running a few low power LEDs! I'll habe a look at Sonoff.

Offline liaifat85

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 07:02:40 am »

Offline onsokumaru

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 08:30:42 am »
I have some shelly devices in use and had no issues so far. A Shelly EM, two led strip controllers, a dimmer and some shelly plugs. Not heavy loads in any of them, I use them way below their max load specs.
I think it depends on your particular use case, if it's just the power monitor I don't think it's going to overheat, problems probably come when the relay they include is handling a heavy load for a long time. I think their rate for max relay load is too optimistic, but apart from that I'll say their producs work nice and are easy to set up.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 11:58:21 am »
Bunnings sells PC191HA's that can be used with homeassistant if reprogrammed with esphome.  Would they do what you want?  They have a relay and power monitoring.

I tried to do this about a month ago.  Unfortunately it turns out that homeassistant is the most picky software in the world about what hardware it runs on, and "addons" (like esphome) only work if you are using an official supported hardware platform. 

Offline drago462

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 07:23:40 am »
For a small power consumition should be ok (LEDs).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf