Electronics > Mechanical & Automation Engineering

Source For Automotive Bolts

(1/6) > >>

bostonman:
I'm trying to find some bolts for a car suspension repair and McMaster-Carr doesn't seem to have exactly what I need. Does anyone know a good place to find bolts?

From experience, usually McMaster has every fastener that exists (or what I've needed), however, it doesn't seem to be the case now.

The bolts I need are tapered at the end (not a big deal if the new ones are not), but I need:

M10x1.5mm x 40mm fully threaded flange bolt, 10.9 grade, but with a washer.
M12x1.75mm x 95mm fully threaded flange bolt, 10.9 grade, also with a washer.

Although I can buy washers separately, I'm curious where to find bolts that match these (the washer is fitted onto the bolt so I can't remove it). Obviously they must exist since they are on the car, but could they be special ordered bolts (it's an old GM car) or am I just not looking in the correct place(s).

Monkeh:
I would suggest visiting your nearest dealer or a good local garage - they will know how to source them.

You could try the likes of NAPA or other parts suppliers, but they're likely not to be of great use without a part number.

Whales:
Tip when searching through online catalogues: a fully threaded bolt is often deemed a "screw" not a "bolt". 

I'm used to seeing retained washers on smaller fasteners, didn't know they also came on larger ones.  Perhaps you can get washers with slightly undersized holes and force them on using a press?

bostonman:

--- Quote ---Tip when searching through online catalogues: a fully threaded bolt is often deemed a "screw" not a "bolt". 
--- End quote ---

You're absolutely correct.

I've been clicking on the pictures McMaster has for so long that I didn't read the title which is 'Hex Head Screws'. Pressing a washer isn't really important.

My main objective is to fix the car, use the "correct" hardware, but also learn where to find the actual bolts since they must exist.

In either case, the local NAPA and/or garage is a good idea. I'm assuming most garages would either have a junk bin of bolts, use the old junk bolts that are so old the head has become worn from age, or hack other bolts onto the brackets.

Thinking logically, a local garage would need to fix the car somewhat quickly, so they'd need to do one of the three methods I listed above, or, as suggested a NAPA may have a plethora of bolts.

themadhippy:

--- Quote ---a fully threaded bolt is often deemed a "screw" not a "bolt".
--- End quote ---
or  set screw in the uk

--- Quote --- but with a washer.
--- End quote ---
Is the washer fixed to the bolt or is it free to rotate? If its fixed maybe a flanged screw,uk based,but for example https://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/m10-metric-coarse-10-9-grade-hex-flange-fully-threaded-set-screws/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version