Off Topic Hobbies > Mechanical Engineering

Steel Round Tube For Bearing Housings???....

<< < (4/5) > >>

Smokey:

--- Quote from: JohnMc on May 30, 2021, 01:51:53 am ---...you can get 3" DOM with a .375  wall.

--- End quote ---
True.  But...
https://www.mkmetal.net/domroundtube3x.375x25.5
$1138.50 for 25.5ft = $3.72/inch

2-1/2 Sch80 = $352.85 for 21ft = $1.40/inch
https://www.mkmetal.net/blackpipesch802-12x21

That's more expensive than the solid 3" A36 bar.  If I needed better steel (the DOM is 1020) I would certainly go that way.

G7PSK:
If its just one or two you need try a scrap yard, they often have drops from machine shops, also look at old hydraulic rams to cut up they are made of thick wall material very often special size DOM material.

Smokey:

--- Quote from: G7PSK on June 26, 2021, 02:40:10 pm ---If its just one or two you need try a scrap yard....

--- End quote ---

True.  Anyone know if there are any legit metal scrap yards around Los Angeles?

jpanhalt:

--- Quote from: Smokey on July 01, 2021, 07:39:52 pm ---True.  Anyone know if there are any legit metal scrap yards around Los Angeles?

--- End quote ---

What do you consider "around" LA?  Bakersfield?  Palm Springs?  Huntington Beach? San Jose?   Or, is your radius around 5th and Hill Street more limited? :)

1) Scrap yards are often call recycling places today.
2) As suggested much earlier, metal distributors and fabricators often have walk-in yards where you can purchase "scrap" that is actually new cut-offs.
3) Look online for "metals" and shops with names such as Metal Store, etc.  There are at least 3 in the Cleveland area, and I suspect even more if I actually searched. 

Smokey:

--- Quote from: jpanhalt on July 01, 2021, 07:52:19 pm ---
--- Quote from: Smokey on July 01, 2021, 07:39:52 pm ---True.  Anyone know if there are any legit metal scrap yards around Los Angeles?

--- End quote ---

What do you consider "around" LA?  Bakersfield?  Palm Springs?  Huntington Beach? San Jose?   Or, is your radius around 5th and Hill Street more limited? :)

1) Scrap yards are often call recycling places today.
2) As suggested much earlier, metal distributors and fabricators often have walk-in yards where you can purchase "scrap" that is actually new cut-offs.
3) Look online for "metals" and shops with names such as Metal Store, etc.  There are at least 3 in the Cleveland area, and I suspect even more if I actually searched.

--- End quote ---

Sure.  I should have been more specific.

I have a vehicle, so "greater LA area" means something more like "does it make sense to take a chance and drive to a place that has a bunch of unknown scrap vs buying expensive new materials". 
50 miles?  Yup. All day long.
100 Miles? Sure if the prospects are good. 
500 miles?  Probably not unless it's a fabrication Disneyland.

There are lots of places that buy scrap metal, but I'm looking for a place that sells scrap metal.  I can't think of a place that bills themselves as a "recycler" that resells scrap and lets you roam around their lot and where everything is for sale.  But I don't really care what they call themselves.  Tell me an example of a place like this around LA and you will be my new personal hero.

I'm not talking about the "rem" section of the new metal supplier.  I'm well aware of that.  I'm talking more about "piles of old rusty I-beams cut out of a demolished building" type of place.  I have no doubt this exists in Ohio.  Lots of stuff exists in Ohio that doesn't exist within a reasonable distance of Los Angeles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version