Electronics > Mechanical & Automation Engineering

Timing belt centered on the sprockets?

(1/2) > >>

Zeyneb:
Hi there,

I am replacing a timing belt on my car. It’s an inline 4 cylinder engine. It goes pretty smooth. The belt system is equipped with an idler pulley and a tensioner pulley. At this time I haven't tightened the bolt on the tensioner pulley yet. And now the belt runs on the very edge of the camshaft sprocket. I hope when I have tightened the tensioner pulley down and put a ratchet on the crankshaft the belt find its way to the center of the camshaft sprocket.

But in general, I am wondering what design feature keeps the timing belt centered on the sprockets? Have these sprockets a very slight V shape to keep them centered or so?

Regards, Zeyneb

thm_w:
Usually one of the pulleys or idlers will have a flange, this will prevent it from running off the side. Its not V shaped.

David Hess:
The ones I have worked with all had flanges on one or more of the pulleys.

TERRA Operative:
90's Toyotas with timing belts have the crank pulley flanged, it keeps the rest in line.

BrokenYugo:
The couple I've done had flanges on the crank pulley.

Don't forget to roll it over two turns after letting the tensioner go and make sure the marks line up again, it's easy to slip an extra tooth of belt in to the tensioned side of the belt and end up with the cam a tooth late.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version