Author Topic: Timing belt centered on the sprockets?  (Read 3076 times)

Offline ZeynebTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Timing belt centered on the sprockets?
« on: November 01, 2021, 06:41:22 pm »
Hi there,

I am replacing a timing belt on my car. It’s an inline 4 cylinder engine. It goes pretty smooth. The belt system is equipped with an idler pulley and a tensioner pulley. At this time I haven't tightened the bolt on the tensioner pulley yet. And now the belt runs on the very edge of the camshaft sprocket. I hope when I have tightened the tensioner pulley down and put a ratchet on the crankshaft the belt find its way to the center of the camshaft sprocket.

But in general, I am wondering what design feature keeps the timing belt centered on the sprockets? Have these sprockets a very slight V shape to keep them centered or so?

Regards, Zeyneb
goto considered awesome!

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Timing belt centered on the sprockets?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 10:28:17 pm »
Usually one of the pulleys or idlers will have a flange, this will prevent it from running off the side. Its not V shaped.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 02:39:12 am »
The ones I have worked with all had flanges on one or more of the pulleys.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 02:47:28 am »
90's Toyotas with timing belts have the crank pulley flanged, it keeps the rest in line.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 02:53:11 am »
The couple I've done had flanges on the crank pulley.

Don't forget to roll it over two turns after letting the tensioner go and make sure the marks line up again, it's easy to slip an extra tooth of belt in to the tensioned side of the belt and end up with the cam a tooth late.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 03:01:59 am »
Volvo uses a flange on the back of the crank pulley, I think that's fairly standard. The rest depends on the precise alignment of the other sprockets. You want to use your fingers to get the belt reasonably centered before releasing the tensioner, then rotate the engine in the correct direction by hand for 2 or 3 complete rotations to make sure everything is lined up properly. I use a ratchet or breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley bolt to do that.

Online BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 03:26:21 am »
Since the cam spins at half speed in a 4 stroke engine you have to turn it over an even number of revolutions to get the timing marks lined back up, 3 will put the cam mark 180 degrees out.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 05:12:26 am »
Well if the timing marks are lined up after the first two revolutions they'll stay lined up. I was more talking about the alignment of the belt centered on the sprockets.

Offline Carel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 10:12:43 am »
The reinforcement of the belt (steel, fibre, whatever) is spirally (endless) wound. So the belt will always try to wander off to one side, depending on the direction of  rotation. A timing belt construction will always have features to keep a belt in its place.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 10:15:02 am by Carel »

Offline ZeynebTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 11:42:55 am »
Thanks for all your contributions. Tightening down the tensioner bolt moved the tensioner slightly further towards the engine. Then rotating the engine on the crankshaft moved the belt in the right direction on the camshaft. But it is still pretty much riding on the outside edge. Maybe I will put some flat washer in some day, to have the camshaft sprocket stick out more.

It is a Toyota 4E-FE engine and the timing belt does additionally drive the oil pump. Not the water pump. The water pump is driven by an auxiliary belt. I noticed the oil pump sprocket had a flange on the front side. And the crank on the back side.

Anyway I installed it correctly regarding the timing and drove it back home from the DIY car repair shop, so that is nice.
goto considered awesome!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf