Author Topic: highest quality flow regulators?  (Read 5474 times)

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
highest quality flow regulators?
« on: July 22, 2023, 03:50:09 am »
For a gas flow reg, there is options like Victor, Smith, Harris.

What is the best brand? what makes them the best?

I hardly noticed the difference between a harris and victor during disassembly

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: highest quality flow regulators?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 07:02:19 pm »
I haven't paid a lot of attention to the brands, they all worked.  The liability is so great for them, that a US company would be foolish to put out something that didn't work.  Every brand I have used, including dealer rebranded units has worked fine for many years.

The distinction I make is whether it is two stage or single stage.  Two stage gives a more steady pressure regardless of flowrate or tank pressure.  If you are also using a flow gauge (e.g., ball gauge) with a needle valve, the single stage will work fine for applications like welding and where you can adjust as needed.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 01:58:26 am »
that is like a ballasting resistor.

But I mean, what goes on inside there. Is it the tolerances of the machining? the quality of the moldings?  materials quality?

I basically took all the ones I have apart for service and inspection and they kinda look the same.

Do they have dual stage regulators w/ the restrictor valve?

That is like putting two regulators in series?

I have HRF2425's for the argon and argon CO2. They are single stage w/ flow meter. I thought that it was pretty high end, but I guess you could have a two stage version. Hmm

But from another perspective, there is more rubber in a dual stage one. That is the part that is going to go bad. I wonder if reliability goes down. Nothing quite as bad as rubber in electronics circuits.

I don't think they sell a two stage flow meter. you would need to add a flow meter and valve to a dual stage pressure regulator for a DIY one.

But as far as I know, the restrictor valve stabilizes it more then any amount of pressure regulation would stabilize it (its a constant current source) to load impedance changes
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 02:04:31 am by coppercone2 »

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 09:17:21 am »
A single stage regulator with adjustable flow meter is just fine for MIG welding. That's what I have used since 1983.

Why are you worried how they work?  My worries are that it works and is safe.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 04:50:10 am »
well I can't seem to find the regulator I want used so I was going to buy it, but I have to make the decision from who.

Experience in looking at the parts told me exactly jack shit, they look basically the same.

I am kind of wondering if its some how like a difference between a keithley and a HP

only thing that stood out is that it seems that harris uses plastic bushings for the gauges and victor expects sealant compound

and I bought a harris dual flow meter for my purge fixture. Kind of wish I did not buy the single flow meters from victor but I suppose now my MIG and my helium tank has proper regulators on it. Decided two argon tanks is just too much crap to have around.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 05:00:35 am by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf