Electronics > Mechanical & Automation Engineering

what the fuc are "heavy duty" and "standard" wall thickness lugs?

(1/3) > >>

coppercone2:
I got a sargent crimp tool good for 8-1/0 AWG lug crimps.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Heavy-Duty-Square-Crimpers/p_819907.h_819912.r_IF1003?mkwid=&crid=545447345245&mp_kw=&mp_mt=&gclid=CjwKCAjwj42UBhAAEiwACIhADqoMgETrI6eatlcIs2cyfRaaHeFGLIBX88Ro4l3CuHqWnAqYJC8ndhoC5i8QAvD_BwE

I had some 8AWG lugs that I assume are standard thickness that came with something, I tried in the 4AWG as per the instructions on the tool and it hardly did shit, so I tried it with a 6AWG port and it deformed the crimp but the wire came out easily.

The lugs are Cu10 (degree symbol) - 6 with 2A written on them.

The manual for the crimp tool claims that there are 'cast' or 'heavy duty' and standard lugs.

For a 8AWG wire, can anyone give an example of what lug would work on the H/D (heavy duty, high wall thickness, cast lug) and which would work on the standard?

Ok it makes sense to me that a higher wall thickness would use a larger die, so the 8AWG HW/HD goes on the 4AWG die and the 8AWG STD goes on the 6AWG die.

Or does anyone know of wall thicknesses that can be used to classify crimps based on caliper measurements? I don't want to go buying crimps at random to determine this, but it looks like there are no standards. :wtf:

Like, what are burndy lugs? STD or HD or is this tool a wash?

Say I want to turn on a lathe a copper custom resistance brazing probe to attach to wire with the crimp tool I have. What should the bore and wall thickness of the machined tube be to classify as a heavy wall and standard wall crimp thickness crimp?

I don't need actual numbers, but providing me with a crimp that you THINK will work with the tool I have would be a BIG help in NARROWING DOWN the amount of RANDOM BULLSHIT I need to buy. I understand that given the nature of this industry with terms like 'heavy duty' being used that no one has any precise or guaranteed answers.

I feel like I am watching my wallet roll down hill through a mine field.

coppercone2:
I got burndy lugs, which look pretty heavy duty, and the crimper does not do shit to them with 6AWG setting using 8AWG lugs like on the face plate.

I assume they either go bullshit from china or have some unobtanium lug. Basically if it does not say it on the die its not gonna work, the little lookup table saying you can do 8AWG with this is bullshit. I don't trust the face plate at all.

Does anyone know whats going on here ?

Ian.M:
You need enough copper in the lug walls and cable to totally fill the area of the closed crimping dies with a percent or two excess so it forms a gas-tight crimp.   

Measure the die area - that one looks simple enough to measure directly, but for more complex dies, I would suggest crimping on Plasticine, shaving it flush either side, and weighing it to calculate the volume given the density (use Archimedes method on the rest of the pack).  Once you've got the volume, divide by the jaw width to get the area.   Given a sensitive enough balance it will be reasonably accurate.  For small dies, crimp ten lumps of Plasticine as above and weigh them together for an order of magnitude better accuracy, or maybe switch to crimping soft Lead.  If the die has two profiles laterally for an insulation crimp, carefully cut the plasticine at the boundary line and only measure the width of the contact crimp side of the die.

coppercone2:
Well the die is square in this tool.

I just wanna know what the fuck they are talking about on the boiler plate. Who are they referencing.

Basically, who makes thicker lugs then burdny?

It says

Cast terminal - irrelevant
H/D Lug - use die 6 (smallest one) for 8
STD Lug - use die 4 for 4,6,8

Is this some kind of issue with fine strand silicone wire? The bundle of wire fits really snug into the lug, its kind of hard to get it in there without fraying actually.

I don't know if I even want to make the measurements unless I find out what they had in mind for this tool, because it might be unobtanium or obsolete and testing is a waste of time.

I tried it with
YA8CL1BOX

https://www.talleycom.com/images/pdf/BRNYA8C-L1BOX.pdf

Burndy sells this
https://assetcloud.roccommerce.net/files/_stateelectric/8/3/10/buryav8c-l2-bulk.pdf

So maybe the heavy duty one with fine strand wire would work in the #6 die

Maybe I will try that heavy wall one in the smaller die before I start weighing putty. But you would think that if the brundy thin wall does not work with the thick wall setting or the thin wall setting why would the thick wall crimp work, but maybe the thick wall will work on the thin wall. I bought some YAV8CL crimps to check.

This must have something to do with fine strand count right? Because Burndy is a good manufacturer and sargent looks pretty serious too. I am perplexed.

Ian.M:
Many extra-flexible electrical cables use 'Rope Lay' construction.
See https://www.newenglandwire.com/product/ultra-flexible-strands/
It has more voids than plain lay cable, (which can approach the ideal 2D hexagonal close packed packing factor of 0.907), so tends to have a greater diameter for the same CSA, which makes it more difficult to get enough copper into the terminal's barrel to crimp effectively, unless a reduced area die is used.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version