Author Topic: Which bit to buy on Ali for PCB Engraving  (Read 1951 times)

Offline MacIntoshCZTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Which bit to buy on Ali for PCB Engraving
« on: August 20, 2022, 07:25:48 pm »
Hello i would like to buy some bits for PCB engraving. I have found this V shape bits
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32959720140.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.7acf38daF5IpIG&mp=1
This could be used for traces with low width isolation, but which bits shall i use for isolation of power traces on AC side? There should be a lot of isolation and engraving with 0,1mm will be time demanding. I am beginner into CNC. What do you use? Thanks for help

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
  • Hardware Design Engineer
Re: Which bit to buy on Ali for PCB Engraving
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 08:46:55 pm »
You will learn that for bits that last and have best performance, cannot be found on aliexpress. There is a direct correlation to cost and performance, keep this in mind.

also, its ok to isolate larger areas with a smaller bit. this may take less time than the act of changing out a bit for a larger one.

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

Offline MacIntoshCZTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 08:02:38 am »
I agree that quality cost more, but since i am newbie i am still learning.... I just crushed one bit when probing heightmap becouse i forgot to connect probe to the bit...  |O

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 01:06:23 pm »
Given you are sort of in the area take a look at https://wegstr.com/30-spiral-carbide-engraving-bit for a good choice of better quality ones.

The split dBit styles typically sold on AliX or Evilbay like you linked are not ideal for a quality result.

There are similar bits on AliX and I got a stash of these try initially or to tweak the grind on and try with a finer tip https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000071321616.html?
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
  • Hardware Design Engineer
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 04:42:58 pm »
I agree that quality cost more, but since i am newbie i am still learning.... I just crushed one bit when probing heightmap becouse i forgot to connect probe to the bit...  |O

Yep, that happens! guess thats a  good use for the cheap bits.. learning the machine and process!
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 09:34:40 pm »
Expensive tools break just as easily as cheap tools when you crash your machine, so at least starting with some cheap stuff is indeed something to consider.

About Ali, it appears that anything with some brand name is less bad then the nameless stuff. You can also have a look at MZG. They are a quite big brand, and best I know they have reasonable quality tools for a modes price.

Offline bidrohini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 07:44:32 am »
https://store.bantamtools.com/products/pcb-engraving-bits
Could not find any like this in alliexpress.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 11:23:12 pm »
The link the OP put here also has split points shown  :o You will also find them all over Evilbay or Bangood etc as well.

Nice and cheap if you just want to play.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Overspeed

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 12:29:46 pm »
Hello

Even if I make professional machining , I use low cost Chinese cutting tools as engraving mills for testing or low cost prototype , difficult to beat the chinese price in carbide cutting tools , on Amazon sometime 6 engraving cutter cost under 15 Euro

I have purchased a used engraver cutter grinder quite cheap I can regrind or modify them for few cents per bits

Regards
OS

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf