Author Topic: sheet metal drill bits?  (Read 4223 times)

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: sheet metal drill bits?
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2022, 06:05:25 am »

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2022, 02:57:39 pm »
Just for fun, I stumbled across this DIY small hole punch system on this very forum.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2022, 03:18:45 pm »
Does anyone sharpen their strait edge step bits?

I tried the technique with the dremel point using a silicon carbide stone (the one that looks like a cone), but its still not as sharp as a new one. Someone that does alot of work told me their not really sharpenable. But I did see a interesting video where you rub it on a diamond hone plate to sharpen it.. is that worth a try? The edges are like borderline OK right now for thicker materials, I am scared to mess with it because it might get ruined (its a $40 milwakee bit)

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2022, 05:54:48 pm »
Yeah you better be careful. You're sharpening the inside flute, right?

Offline abquke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2022, 03:27:31 pm »
I impulse bought a hand punch once and it works great for thin-thin steel and thin aluminum. Faster and better results than drilling.

https://www.mcmaster.com/hand-punches/compact-portable-lever-operated-hole-punches-8/

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2022, 01:17:47 am »
Yeah you better be careful. You're sharpening the inside flute, right?

bought new drill bit instead, I got tired of experimenting with the sharpening stuff

I want those factory sharpened because if I make a weak edge or something, I thought it might get jammed and try to spin the drill on me and hurt my wrist at a random time if I am using it on thicker metal (I like using the magnetic drill or drill press if possible on things like that, but there are always exceptions). I learned to use a weaker drill with these ... I think the factory made one will wear smoother. I can handle the milwakee m12 fuel when it does that, but if I was using a 18V big brushless drill, I think it could hurt. Granted you are supposed to use two hands but the problem is usually that its sometimes nearly impossible to fixture and you need to brace what you are drilling with your hand/body because of vibration to have any semblance of 'work flow' unless you are 'the clamping doctor' with unlimited floor space for weird fixtures.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 01:24:14 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2022, 04:23:24 am »

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf