Author Topic: 3D Scanners under $1000? Software?  (Read 1556 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline incfTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 482
  • Country: us
  • ASCII > UTF8
3D Scanners under $1000? Software?
« on: July 12, 2025, 10:53:55 pm »
I recently learned that several low end / consumer grade 3D scanners exist for $300-$800 (eg. Revopoint MetroX, Revopoint Inspire, Creality CR-Scan Ferret, and some other more consumery products). That is cheaper than I expected.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight or experience with devices in this space and price range.

I also was wondering if any 3D scanners exist that do not require software subscriptions or cloud services to export the point clouds into a format that can be consumed by other software? (eg. FreeCAD)

My interest in is creating a 3D model of various suspension components taken from a vehicle to within an dimensional accuracy of 0.25" / ft (roughly 6mm / 300mm), and angular accuracy of +/-3 degrees. While I'm sure that with enough care I could perform the measurements by hand, the components I wish to measure are curvy and have holes/faces at odd angles, and I suspect a tool might do a better job.

sidenote: I've read that reference markers "make or break" a 3D scan on large components. I need to learn more about those requirements and constraints.

This is for non-commercial use.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2025, 11:13:51 pm by incf »
Test
 
The following users thanked this post: bck

Offline unseenninja

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 128
  • Country: se
Re: 3D Scanners under $1000? Software?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2025, 02:16:07 pm »
What does 3D scanning have to do with metrology?

A far more appropriate section of the forum would be: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing
 

Online wraper

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 19492
  • Country: lv
Re: 3D Scanners under $1000? Software?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2025, 02:24:02 pm »
A far more appropriate section of the forum would be: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing
It has nothing to do with 3D printing. I say put it into Other Equipment & Products
 

Offline incfTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 482
  • Country: us
  • ASCII > UTF8
Re: 3D Scanners under $1000? Software?
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2025, 02:25:13 pm »
It's about measurement of angles and distances within a specified tolerance. Besides, search showed the last topic on this from 2017 was in this board.

The components to be measured have planes at odd angles with respect to one another.

Metrology people are the only ones that use this class of expensive metrology tools (handheld laser scanners + accompanying software) that this thread is concerned with.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2025, 02:30:48 pm by incf »
Test
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->