Author Topic: WinGPIB - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)  (Read 217201 times)

yuhar and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
Re: 3458a logging via Windows app.....revisited
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2019, 05:58:38 pm »
Hi,

Assuming you are looking for answers in regard to my logging app, as follows:-

Does this require purchasing the GPIB option for my meter, or can I use the USB or ethernet connections?

When you install it hit the NOTEPAD button and it will bring up a text file containing some sample GPIB configs....including a 34461A by way of it's ethernet Lan connection. All you need is to install the free Keysight IO Libraries and config your meter there. The IO suite acts as a bridge to allow direct control from my logging app.

Would this be compatible with my meter or is it 3458a only (I saw mention of other meters but not my specific one)

It's GPIB compatible, so unless there's some 'quirk' with any particular device it should work with any GPIB device (to take readings).....you just need to configure the right GPIB command for your device.......i.e. the commands for a 3458A are different to a Keithley 2015THD are different to a Fluke 8842A.

Could one program run both devices or would I need to run two programs with a timed series and hpe they don't drift apart?

You can run two devices from the one program......it's just that the CSV file is shared. In saying that you can open as many instances of the program as you like......I've never tried it, but I am guessing you can therefore run as many devices as you like. Just make sure you configure separate CSV files.

I have thought about designing a generic scanner/relay board that would be GPIB controlled and thus could theoretically open up say 8 separate channels into a 3458A. I'd modify the logging app to control it......but like I said, it's just a thought at the moment.

PS. If it helps, the PDVS2 serial protocol is available (if you contact me via email) thus allowing anyone to write their own app to control it remotely.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

The following users thanked this post: Svgeesus

Offline zed65

• Contributor
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2019, 07:29:59 pm »
Hi Ian, really nice app you have made!
I have a small question/bug report, say that you are trying to connect to a COM-port device but forgot to switch from VISA to COM and hit create device.
As I can see there are no way back after that (you got to close and restart the app).
Or is it only me doing something wrong :-\

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2019, 09:17:34 pm »
Hi Ian, really nice app you have made!
I have a small question/bug report, say that you are trying to connect to a COM-port device but forgot to switch from VISA to COM and hit create device.
As I can see there are no way back after that (you got to close and restart the app).
Or is it only me doing something wrong :-\

It is a small GUI issue.......but the way around it is to hit RUN then immediately hit STOP then hit RESET and you are back at the start again.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

The following users thanked this post: zed65

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2019, 11:14:28 am »
Hi all,

VB source code attached to post #1.

Visual Studio Express 2015 exported template V1.44.

Ian.

Offline deepskyridge

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2019, 09:41:05 pm »
Ian, thanks for posting the source code, I have it loaded in VS 2015. Is there anything I need to install. It is generating errors.

It's complaining about IODevices.

Thanks
Gary

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2019, 11:46:08 am »
Ian, thanks for posting the source code, I have it loaded in VS 2015. Is there anything I need to install. It is generating errors.

It's complaining about IODevices.

Thanks
Gary

The entire app is basically two VS projects, the IODevices one I never touched and it compiles to a DLL (which is included in the exe download).
The source is available at the codeproject link (see post #1).
I'm away from the workshop right now, but I'll check tonight what I had to do to get my app to compile.

Ian.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2019, 05:19:51 pm »
Hi all,

To compile my VS app first add a reference to the IODevice.dll, i.e.:-

Your path will vary.

Ian.

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline zed65

• Contributor
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2019, 06:59:48 pm »
I can't compile it. It throws some errors about "$safeprojectname$" on different locations in the solution.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2019, 07:19:25 am »
Hi all,

Has anyone managed to compile my program now?...….just wondering if my exported template still has an issue at my end.

Ian.

Offline zed65

• Contributor
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2019, 04:52:51 pm »
I finally got it to compile in both VS2015 and VS2017 :-+

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2019, 05:20:38 pm »
I finally got it to compile in both VS2015 and VS2017 :-+

3 devices!!......I wondered how long it would take before that was done.......:-)

I am planning some mods of my own eventually.......I'd like to add multiplexer board control, i.e. several DUT's (possibly 8-way) and one 3458A.

Ian.

The following users thanked this post: zed65, Svgeesus

Offline pwlps

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2019, 02:47:48 pm »

The entire app is basically two VS projects, the IODevices one I never touched and it compiles to a DLL (which is included in the exe download).
The source is available at the codeproject link (see post #1).
I'm away from the workshop right now, but I'll check tonight what I had to do to get my app to compile.

Ian.

Just to precise that the IODevices dll included in the exe (and required to compile your source) is a bit different from the CodeProject version because it uses a slightly downgraded VisaDevice class with a global Visa interlock (i.e. considering Visa as non-thread-safe even it it claims the opposite). I suggested to try it after some problems reported by blackdog, we didn't hear from him since so maybe it did help finally, I don't know.

Offline zed65

• Contributor
« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2019, 10:04:00 pm »
Ian, did you get the HiRes mode of your 3457A to work? I've fiddled some with that experimental code for it but no luck.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #163 on: February 22, 2019, 05:42:21 am »
Ian, did you get the HiRes mode of your 3457A to work? I've fiddled some with that experimental code for it but no luck.

No, that code is about as far as I got. I wasnt sure in the end I had the idea of how the 3457A works for achieving that mode correct so just left it.

Ian.

Offline deepskyridge

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2019, 10:10:09 pm »
I can't compile it. It throws some errors about "$safeprojectname$" on different locations in the solution.
[/quhttps://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/3458a-logging-via-windows-app-revisited/150/?action=post;num_replies=163ote]

How did you solve this ?

Thanks

Offline zed65

• Contributor
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2019, 10:26:49 pm »
Ok here are the steps I did to make it compile.

1. Unzip the folder.
2. Open the "testIODevice.vbproj" in VS2015.
3. Now VS2015 have created some folders, move/copy the "IODevice.dll" and "Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.dll" to the /bin/debug folder.
4. Delete "IODevices" and "app.config" from the solutions tree.
5. Open the My Project settings and type in "test" or something as Assembly name and Root namespace.
6. Change "Startup form" from "Formtest" to "Dialog2".
7. Build the project once then change back the "Startup form" to "Formtest".
8. Now it should compile/build.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2019, 10:43:51 am »
Hi all,

I have tidied up the source zip in post #1 so should not need to delete IODevices/app.config from the solutions tree.
No idea if the other actions still need to be performed as I only have one install of VS (except copy over the DLL's).

Ian.

Offline deepskyridge

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2019, 04:26:40 pm »
Thanks for the info, I have it building and have made the changes for Fahrenheit temp. Works great.

Next I would like to include the ability to use the scanner card in my 3457A.

Thanks
Gary

The following users thanked this post: zed65

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2019, 07:49:36 pm »
Hi Ian,

I have downloaded the latest version of Keysight IO Libraries Suite, with its Interactive IO able to send and receive commands to and from my meter. It shows up as GPIB0::22::INSTR.
But when using your program, I'm not able to connect to my meter. The software aborts with the message:

cannot create device R6581D
could not open Visa device at address GPIB0::22::INSTR
error code BFFF00A5

I'm using an Agilent 82357A and choosed VISA for the interface. Am I'm missing something?

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Offline pwlps

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2019, 08:34:51 am »
BFFF00A5 or "VI_ERROR_INTF_NUM_NCONFIG" means VISA doesn't have a resource "GPIB0".  So it is strange if you can see it via their interactive utility. Apparently the error can happen if you have both Agilent and NI interfaces installed:
https://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/VISA-error-bfff00a5/td-p/529294
otherwise I don't know.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2019, 11:49:30 am »
Hi Ian,

I have downloaded the latest version of Keysight IO Libraries Suite, with its Interactive IO able to send and receive commands to and from my meter. It shows up as GPIB0::22::INSTR.
But when using your program, I'm not able to connect to my meter. The software aborts with the message:

cannot create device R6581D
could not open Visa device at address GPIB0::22::INSTR
error code BFFF00A5

I'm using an Agilent 82357A and choosed VISA for the interface. Am I'm missing something?

-branadic-

Early on I had a weird issue whereby I could communicate to my 3458A/34461A using GPIB0 with the Keysight IO Libraries Suite but elsewhere had to use GPIB1......or something like that, it was a while ago so can't remember...….so it might be worth playing with the resource ID's.

Ian.

EDIT:

Screenshot attached, my 3458A in the connection expert, and the GPIB app.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:54:06 pm by IanJ »

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #171 on: March 20, 2019, 12:58:03 pm »
Tried that but didn't work for me  :'(

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Offline pwlps

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2019, 05:01:27 pm »
What is the brand/model of your gpib adapter? If it uses a gpib32.dll interface then you can bypass Visa and directly talk to this dll: select "ADLink" as interface (initially it was using some ADLink-specific dll functions hence the name, but now it is in principle compatible with other gpib32.dll's even though the interface name remained the same). 

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2019, 06:32:14 pm »
What is the brand/model of your gpib adapter? If it uses a gpib32.dll interface then you can bypass Visa and directly talk to this dll: select "ADLink" as interface (initially it was using some ADLink-specific dll functions hence the name, but now it is in principle compatible with other gpib32.dll's even though the interface name remained the same).

Per earlier post an Agilent 82357A which does work as I have a rip-off version and have tried it also.

Ian.

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2019, 07:50:48 am »
I was using Ian's program last night to log the output from a 3245A, my settings were the same (3458A, GPIB0::22::INSTR, VISA on 82357A). It didnt work first couple times, same error as branadic. Noticed I had NI-VISA installed as primary, changed to the Keysight VISA as primary (didnt notice it had installed as a secondary VISA) and it started working fine. Logged 4hours of data out of the 3458A without further issues.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 08:02:20 am by wolfy007 »

The following users thanked this post: IanJ

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf