Author Topic: WinGPIB - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)  (Read 173010 times)

IanJ and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
Re: 3458a logging via Windows app.....revisited
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2018, 07:34:20 pm »
Hi all,

V1.8 available in post #1.

V1.8 - Added Temperature to the main chart. Increased brightness of grey grid on chart a little bit.

New screenshots added to post #1 also.

Note: Have decided to defer the Playback chart mods at least until Friday if not the weekend.

Ian.

Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2018, 01:57:02 pm »
Hi all,

V1.9 available in post #1.

V1.9 - Added RESET buttons to the Recorded Maximum's below the chart. Fixed a couple of bugs around the chart control Device 1/Device2/Temperature check boxes.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2018, 02:44:15 pm »
Ian, version 1.9 does not work here?

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2018, 02:44:57 pm »
Hi all,

V1.10 available in post #1.

V1.10 - Added RESET button to Auto Scale function. This saves having to stop the chart and restart it again if your values have changed.......necessary because Auto Scale remembers it max/min since the chart had started.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2018, 02:45:50 pm »
Ian, version 1.9 does not work here?

Fixed an issue. There is now an additional .DLL file in the ZIP file which must reside alongside the others. Not sure why it's required now, I never added any PowerPack toolbox items as far as I know.....not recently anyways. Hopefully all will be ok.

Update: Ahhh yes, the coloured rectangles to signify the chart colours are from the PowerPack .DLL.

Ian.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:20:59 pm by IanJ »

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2018, 03:25:47 pm »
Version 1.10 running here.  Like good Scotch ... just keeps getting better! ;)

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2018, 09:15:19 pm »
Hi all,

V1.11 available in post #1.

V1.11 - Playback Chart - Able to parse .CSV by entering device name before loading .CSV

So if you have two devices configured and log to .CSV then there are actually two graphs embedded in the .CSV......so now on the PlayBack chart you can select which one you want to view.
Ideally, both graphs could be displayed at once but the current .CSV format won't allow that.......I'd need to have a single sample rate for both devices.......Nahhhh!

Ian.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:48:13 pm by IanJ »

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2018, 08:58:09 pm »
Is there a possibility to log many devices at once?  Since seeing this code, I've wanted to implement modular support for different DMM models, similar to BenchVue, and also real-time enabling and disabling of meters, to allow for autocal cycles. In my code, I usually request a sample from all instruments, then wait for a response from all instruments, then delay until the requested sample period is reached. This way, I get synchronous datapoints which are more easily comparable.

Otherwise, points can be left blank in some columns, or have a meter ID column and exactly one measurement per row (making the output have many more rows).  Maybe write to a SQLite DB or intermediate use, and then convert to CSV for viewing?

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2018, 09:38:41 pm »
Is there a possibility to log many devices at once?  Since seeing this code, I've wanted to implement modular support for different DMM models, similar to BenchVue, and also real-time enabling and disabling of meters, to allow for autocal cycles. In my code, I usually request a sample from all instruments, then wait for a response from all instruments, then delay until the requested sample period is reached. This way, I get synchronous datapoints which are more easily comparable.

Otherwise, points can be left blank in some columns, or have a meter ID column and exactly one measurement per row (making the output have many more rows).  Maybe write to a SQLite DB or intermediate use, and then convert to CSV for viewing?

My code logs to the same CSV for both devices and even if both devices have a different sample rate. This does make things tough when wanting to compare results......however, a half-way house answer is to set the time base of both to the same and the entry in the CSV looks like as follows, i.e. alternating writes to the CSV:-

Index, Device, Date/Time, Value, Temperature, Humidity

Code: [Select]
1,HP3458A,28/11/2018 1:00:16 PM,1.00003333,24.9,37.9
2,2015THD,28/11/2018 1:00:16 PM,9.99990603,24.9,37.9
3,HP3458A,28/11/2018 1:00:17 PM,2.00003333,24.9,37.9
4,2015THD,28/11/2018 1:00:17 PM,8.99994451,24.9,37.9
5,HP3458A,28/11/2018 1:00:20 PM,3.00003467,24.9,37.9
6,2015THD,28/11/2018 1:00:20 PM,7.99994451,24.9,37.9
7,HP3458A,28/11/2018 1:00:22 PM,4.00003467,24.9,37.9
8,2015THD,28/11/2018 1:00:22 PM,6.99991115,24.9,37.9
9,HP3458A,28/11/2018 1:00:24 PM,5.00003156,24.9,37.9
10,2015THD,28/11/2018 1:00:24 PM,5.99991115,24.9,37.9

I have been gathering some thoughts on where to go from here and with the Playback Chart in mind.
First off I think I'll add a header to the CSV that will record things like the sample rates(s), single/dual logs etc as it will help the Playback Chart work out what it can and can't do with the data.

Nice idea about specifying time-out periods in order to run ACAL from the app also........it had crossed my mind before, and I just need to work out a way to do it thats can be made generic/adjustable to different device types, and also a way to log that data in the CSV so that any spikes from such are made clear in the charts/graphs.

I don't use a SQL DB, I just use a Datatable within VS.

So much I can do with this.....problem is file handling is not my forte and it takes me a wee while to get it right!

Ian.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:40:40 pm by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2018, 09:40:09 pm »
were you able to investigate repeating average vs moving average @ NPLC100?

Not yet......a quick look and my 2015THD's and they are both set for moving average.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2018, 07:41:33 pm »
Hi all,

V1.12 available in post #1.

I have changed the way that dual devices are run by adding a separate RUN button and it's own sample rate. I have also added an extra display parameter "CSV File No. Lines".

Also, the Playback Chart function now supports reading dual logged CSV files......very preliminary but does appear to work. Tha caveat here is that it's only really useful if you have logged running both devices using the same sample rate. The entries in the log assume that each log for device 1 & device 2 were taken at the same time.

The screenshot below is missing some info on the yellow trace as it's just a text......both should be the same length. Out of interest, yellow=3458A, aqua=2015THD.

PS. I have left V1.11 available to download due to changes made to V1.12 are virtually untested.

Note: Next thing to do is get the temperature & humidity details on the chart.

UPDATE: Yep, there's quite a few bugs with the playback chart in this version.....might want to wait until the next one. Problem zooming etc.

Ian.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:42:29 pm by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2018, 09:10:48 pm »
Hi all,

V1.13 available in post #1.

I have made some mods to the zoom & scroll controls in the Playback Chart and fixed the issues with dual log display etc.

I have also included in the .zip a couple of sample log files. Device names are in the filename.

LogSampleDual_HP3458A_2015THD.csv
LogSampleSingle_HP3458A.csv

PS. If you have dual logged to .CSV (two devices) but just want to playback one of them then just leave the other one empty and the chart will only pull the one named into the chart wondow.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2018, 06:50:11 pm »
Hi all,

V1.14 available in post #1.

Mods made to the Playback Chart:
- Ability to display logged temperature & humidity, so now 4 graphs on the 1 chart.
- Temp & Humidity share the same right hand scale which is user adjustable.
- Settings on the Playback Chart can now be saved.

I have included another sample CSV file......which is the one shown on the Playback screenshot. You may notice the humidity slowly decreasing over time from the start.......that's because I set up the test, started logging then shortly after left the workshop for the night. The temperature rolls of a little also but my VB controlled air-con/heater kept it within a degree or so....:-)

Note:-
There is an apparent issue with the Zoom Out control which shows up when you zoom in and then try to zoom out again. Sometimes you do not get all the way out again, and this is because the zoom facility actually zooms around the centreline of the chart (see CL on screenshot), so if you have scrolled too far to one end of the graph it cannot zoom out and retaining  the same centreline.
I may do something about this, but the workaround is just to press DISPLAY ALL.

Thanks,

Ian.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:11:16 pm by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2018, 10:16:45 pm »
Hi all,

V1.15 available in post #1.

I have added SHIFT UP and SHIFT DOWN buttons to the Playback Chart.
This moves the chart up and down by 10% of the current range of the displayed chart. Effects Device1 & Device 2 only.

To do: Work out how to auto-repeat the various buttons.......

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2018, 04:08:38 pm »
Hi all,

V1.16 available in post #1.

I have added TOOLTIP values to the Playback chart, so hover your mouse over the traces on the chart and read the value at that point. There's a checkbox at top right corner to enable/disable this since on the very odd occasion it was crashing the program when floating the mouse over the left side scale.....wierd!

I have added an AUTO-DETECT MIN/MAX checkbox for the Playback chart. Select this before loading the .CSV file and the min/max values for Device1 & 2 are detected and use to scale the chart automatically.
On loading the auto-detected values 10% padding is added top/bottom.
See screenshot in post #1.

TO DO: I want to add in a PPM graph (calculated) on the Playback chart but am struggling to get more Y-axis scales other than the one on the left and one on the right to display.....it seems a limitation of MS Chart object.......however, I may go ahead anyway and just display in text format the scale.

Ian.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:19:54 pm by IanJ »

Offline blackdog

• Frequent Contributor
  • Please stop pushing bullshit...
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2018, 07:22:13 pm »
Hi Ian  :)

First this, Thank You!

I have your software now working but after quite a bit of headache...
That was largely due to the Keysight Connection Expert 2018.
This software lies right in your face!

My GPIB cable had fallen out of one of my measuring instruments and when I asked if there was a connection with this command "Check Connecion Status"
the software indicated that everything was OK for the relevant GPIB instrument.
I had the connector in my hand and the cable only went to my measuring computer... Wireless GPIB!

If I have emptied the "Keysight Connection Expert 2018", i.e. removed all measuring instruments, then the scan function cannot find any measuring instruments!
I then have to use the "+Add" key and enter the address for the GPIB group and the measuring instrument will be displayed.

If I have emptied the "Keysight Connection Expert 2018" and in the LAN group I have to enter the IP address of my measuring instruments, sarcastic mode => well coded! "Developers" (hobby coders, mini brains)

Your software
I do have a few comments about your software.
Is it possible to use a ";" instead of a "," in the csv file? 
In the Dutch language gives "," problems when importing into Excel.

Two picturen so you can see its working.
This is only your version V1.16 software measuring my Agilent 3458A

And this is proof that your software works at the same time with the Keysight "horror" BenchVue module also measuring my 10V LAB reference after zeroing the 34461A instrument on the 10V range.

Keep op the good work!

Kind regards,
Bram
Necessity is not an established fact, but an interpretation.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2018, 07:22:40 pm »
Hi all,

V1.17 available in post #1.
(V1.16 remains available as this new version has some tentative new functions)

Playback Chart:-
I have added the ability to plot PPM deviation on the chart for Device 1 or 2. See the screenshot in post #1.
This is calculated and plotted on the chart dynamically from the imported CSV data and is not saved back to the .CSV file.
When selected, the zoom & shift button are disabled, it's a Display All function only.

There is no way that I know to enable more than 1 secondary scale to an MS Chart, so I have had to 'make my own' which involved a lot of extra work.....hence the tentative V1.17.

Please note that large CSV files take time to process PPM Deviation, so the GUI may lock for a few seconds.

I have also fixed a small bug in the Auto-detect Min/Max values.

PS. The noisy aqua coloured plot in the screenshot is my noisy Keithley 2015THD.......I must have a look at them (2off) and find out what settings I can tweak.
PPS. Tooltips are not enabled for the PPM plot due to the hard-coding nature of the PPM scale.

Ian.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:49:22 pm by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2018, 07:45:39 pm »
Hi Ian  :)

First this, Thank You!

I have your software now working but after quite a bit of headache...
That was largely due to the Keysight Connection Expert 2018.
This software lies right in your face!

My GPIB cable had fallen out of one of my measuring instruments and when I asked if there was a connection with this command "Check Connecion Status"
the software indicated that everything was OK for the relevant GPIB instrument.
I had the connector in my hand and the cable only went to my measuring computer... Wireless GPIB!

If I have emptied the "Keysight Connection Expert 2018", i.e. removed all measuring instruments, then the scan function cannot find any measuring instruments!
I then have to use the "+Add" key and enter the address for the GPIB group and the measuring instrument will be displayed.

If I have emptied the "Keysight Connection Expert 2018" and in the LAN group I have to enter the IP address of my measuring instruments, sarcastic mode => well coded! "Developers" (hobby coders, mini brains)

Your software
I do have a few comments about your software.
Is it possible to use a ";" instead of a "," in the csv file? 
In the Dutch language gives "," problems when importing into Excel.

Two picturen so you can see its working.
This is only your version V1.16 software measuring my Agilent 3458A

And this is proof that your software works at the same time with the Keysight "horror" BenchVue module also measuring my 10V LAB reference after zeroing the 34461A instrument on the 10V range.

Keep op the good work!

Kind regards,
Bram

Hi,

Nice screenshots.

This project has been great fun........and to tell you the truth I'd never have started it if I didn't have a motive!.......Which is, I have come up with an idea to self-calibrate my PDVS2's on my wee production line, i.e. PDVS2 sends voltage to 3458A via GPIB, Windows app reads the voltage via GPIB and then communicates back to the PDVS2 via USB in calibration mode........I just have to press a button and the calibration is all automatic instead of sitting at a PDVS2 pressing buttons. The idea was to get this app working to a satisfactory level then modify it for the PDVS2 cal............but I keep on making mods to the code!!!!

I must admit, I am using Keysight IO libraries version 18.1 and yes it's a bit non-intuitive.......but once I got my devices added it's no problem. I only had to clear them once.

Regarding semi-colon's versus comma's, unfortunately I just went with commas per Comma-Separated-Values which is the standard.
If I get time I will add in a selection for it........but it does mean adjusting quite a lot of code, i.e. for the Playback chart etc.

Ian.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2018, 08:14:29 pm »
I'd also get rid of all those meaningless digits after 7th in graphs/charts so it looks more clean and tidy.  :-DMM
Perhaps consider to switch into engineering notation (e.g. 9.9999532e+0 for VDC , or 100.00532E-6 for 100uamps).
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2018, 08:49:30 pm »
I'd also get rid of all those meaningless digits after 7th in graphs/charts so it looks more clean and tidy.  :-DMM
Perhaps consider to switch into engineering notation (e.g. 9.9999532e+0 for VDC , or 100.00532E-6 for 100uamps).

Part of the tidy up later on when the basics are done........albeit V1.17 PlayBack chart has it limited to 7 already (part of the PPM Deviation mods).
During coding the extra digits helped me narrow down a rounding issue with the auto-detect main/max Playback.

Cheers.

Ian.

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2018, 09:02:47 pm »
Regarding semi-colon's versus comma's, unfortunately I just went with commas per Comma-Separated-Values which is the standard.
If I get time I will add in a selection for it........but it does mean adjusting quite a lot of code, i.e. for the Playback chart etc.

Hi,

V1.18 has been uploaded.

I have added the functionality to select COMMA or SEMI-COLON as the delimiter for the CSV file generation. The settings is a couple of radio buttons on the main screen.
Please note that this affects the Playback Chart reading of the CSV's. so make sure you have the setting correct for the CSV file you want to read.

Ian.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:48:36 pm by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2018, 10:53:58 pm »
Hi all,

Just a wee note to remind folks that this app can be used to connect to newer equipment as well.

Example:
Keysight 34461A (without optional GPIB interface).

So, connect the 34461A via ethernet to Lan and open Keysight IO Libraries Suite (Windows App) and ADD the device.
Once added, right click on the device in the IO Libraries suite and select COPY VISA ADDRESS.

Open the GPIB app and on Device 1 or 2 paste the address to the ADDRESS entry., select VISA as the interface type.

In my case the address for my 34461A = TCPIP0::192.168.1.139::inst0::INSTR

The AT RUN command for the 34461A =  :READ?

Ian.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:18:16 pm by IanJ »

Offline blackdog

• Frequent Contributor
  • Please stop pushing bullshit...
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2018, 10:49:01 am »
Hi Ian,  :)

Thanks for the Comma/Semi-Colon option!

Here a screenshot on one of my 34461A DMM controled by your software.
The grafics and "auto scale" still can use some work, only sometimes it works.

In the display of my 34461A i always get a error when i use the "run" button, but the sofware starts logging anyway.
The picture shows my 10V LAB reference logt bij the 34461A.

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,
Bram
Necessity is not an established fact, but an interpretation.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2018, 10:58:54 am »
Hi,

V1.19 has been uploaded.

Fixed a bug in the Playback Chart where the PPM chart was not always loading, it seemed to take two attempts each time which was a clue to an issue with a later subroutine setting something that the proceeding one needed.

Added a NOTEPAD button on main screen linked to GPIBchannels.txt. I found I have to keep a text file to store all my handy notes, so this keeps them even handier. File is in .zip.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2018, 11:05:03 am »
Hi Ian,  :)

Thanks for the Comma/Semi-Colon option!

Here a screenshot on one of my 34461A DMM controled by your software.
The grafics and "auto scale" still can use some work, only sometimes it works.

In the display of my 34461A i always get a error when i use the "run" button, but the sofware starts logging anyway.
The picture shows my 10V LAB reference logt bij the 34461A.

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,
Bram

Your 34461A DMM will error because it doesn't understand the PRE-RUN commands as they are for a Keithley 2015THD.
Change to the following (or erase all). The 34461A user manual explains all the commands and it really just depends on what you are looking to do.

*RST
CALC:SMO:RESP MED

Yes, the auto-scale does need a bit of work......I need to disable the button till enough data is gathered, and also fix the problem where when you hit the button it does nothing until the next data arrives......which can be a while if your sample rate is set long.
Don't forget to hit RESET on the auto-scale so that previously recorded data is not used to calculate the new max/min.

Ian.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 11:42:43 am by IanJ »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf