Author Topic: WinGPIB - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)  (Read 217364 times)

yuhar and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
Re: WinGPIB - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)
« Reply #625 on: August 03, 2023, 10:23:01 am »
New version in Post #1 available for download.
WinGPIB_V3_100_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_100_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing
[Virus scanned using BitDefender AntiVirus]

Bug fix in .CSV creation when dual logging.
I had inadvertently introduced a bug at one of the last updates which meant the PlayBack Chart had a problem reading the CSV.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #626 on: August 03, 2023, 02:00:42 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_101_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_101_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

On the main Device 1/2 tab there's now a stopwatch which automatically runs when you hit any of the RUN buttons. A running time for any GPIB activity.
It will pause when you hit STOP, and reset from zero next time you hit RUN again.

Ian.

Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Online yuhar

• Contributor
« Reply #627 on: August 03, 2023, 03:48:17 pm »
little inconvenience;
after new install
the  WinGPIBdata-folder not exist (error message visible: WinGPIBdata\Log.csv not found...)
- when I make manually a new WinGPIBdata-folder; - then the exe starts without error messages, and make a new Log.csv

(I also recommend using the TMP117 temperature sensor...  https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/TMP117EVM?qs=%252BEew9%252B0nqrC7wviQ3f6JKw%3D%3D&_gl=1*bjspji*_ga*dW5kZWZpbmVk*_ga_15W4STQT4T*dW5kZWZpbmVk*_ga_1KQLCYKRX3*dW5kZWZpbmVk)

anyway very nice work   :-+

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #628 on: August 03, 2023, 05:05:23 pm »
little inconvenience;
after new install
the  WinGPIBdata-folder not exist (error message visible: WinGPIBdata\Log.csv not found...)
- when I make manually a new WinGPIBdata-folder; - then the exe starts without error messages, and make a new Log.csv

(I also recommend using the TMP117 temperature sensor...  https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/TMP117EVM?qs=%252BEew9%252B0nqrC7wviQ3f6JKw%3D%3D&_gl=1*bjspji*_ga*dW5kZWZpbmVk*_ga_15W4STQT4T*dW5kZWZpbmVk*_ga_1KQLCYKRX3*dW5kZWZpbmVk)

anyway very nice work   :-+

Well that is wierd!.......the configuration of the location of the WinGPIBdata folder in the installer app moved up a folder!
I have fixed it and re-uploaded the full zip. Thanks.

I'll have a look at that temp sensor.
EDIT: I have requested a sample TMP117EVM from TI.

Ian.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 05:40:18 pm by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #629 on: August 03, 2023, 07:58:18 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_102_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_102_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Bugfix:
1. If STOP is hit when an interrupt is in operation then hitting RUN again fails to restart - Fixed.
2. If dual logging and a lengthy interrupt is run then the other channel still writes to the CSV causing a mismatch of timing of the two devices in the PlayBack Chart when loaded - Fixed, the other channel is also paused now.
3. The INTRPT text label now changes to red text to indicate an interrupt is in progress.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #630 on: August 05, 2023, 09:55:56 am »
WinGPIB_V3_103_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_103_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

I have added 'averaging' on the Playback Chart.
Device 1 and Device 2 can now have rolling averaging set on the graphs.
Set to '0' disables, and adjustable up to '100'.

The averaging affects the PPM Deviation & PPM/DegC Tempco graphs.
(I have also been playing with the formula for both of these, they were sometimes incorrectly calculating. Still not sure if it's right, more testing required).

Notes:
The averaging settings don't SAVE, I think it's best that on running it defaults to '0' averaging.
The Y-scale auto-ranging is still based on the source data, not the averaged data.

Ian.

Device 1 - Averaging on:-

Device 1 - Averaging virtually off (set to '0' would disable):-

« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 11:43:07 am by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #631 on: August 05, 2023, 07:31:37 pm »
Here's a bug I need to fix.

PPM Deviation is fine, but PPM/Deg C Tempco will do something wierd after 300mins or so, then returns to normal. The data is fine so something wierd is going on. Seems to happen on long logs only.
Looks like something cumulitive or variable overrun is going on.
Pity I wasn't a real software engineer!

See white trace on chart below.

Ian.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 07:33:10 pm by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #632 on: August 06, 2023, 12:46:39 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_104_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_104_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Fixed the issue in the last post. A mix up of Device 1 and Device 2 when plotting the tempco graph.
Also, I found some DIV/0 problems in the VB code for the Tempco graphs also.

As part of trying to find the problem I actually took the source data from the CSV and plotted it in a spreadsheet. It matched with WinGPIB. Notice though there's a great big glitch in the Tempco around the middle, looking at the data the voltage seemed to flutter there. Mind you, the graph scale is 5.19uV top to bottom so it's hardly anything but throws off the PPM/Deg C tempco a good bit.......still more testing to do though to double check.
The source of the flutter is the HP 3245A thats providing the 1Vdc signal. I know it's not my 3458A as the same 3245A is connected to my 34461A and it has the same flutter.
I have plans to help the 3245A though......in a video soon.

Some screenshots:

« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 03:50:44 pm by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #633 on: August 06, 2023, 01:26:32 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_105_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_105_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Update to how the PPM buttons etc work in relation to refreshing the chart when selections are made.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #634 on: August 07, 2023, 09:49:14 am »
WinGPIB_V3_107_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_107_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

A few GUI tweaks.

UPDATE: V3.107 uploaded, a few tweaks to the PlayBack Chart GUI, checking validity of user input and auto-refresh chart.

Ian.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 05:25:21 pm by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #635 on: August 15, 2023, 03:26:55 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_108_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_108_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Added averaging option on the TEMPERATURE scale on the Playback Chart.
This affects the PPM/DegC Tempco data/scale when enabled

Ian.

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #636 on: August 21, 2023, 04:10:53 pm »
Hey Ian,

I have a feature request for you to fill up that copious free time you have :-DD

Temp-triggered interrupt - With the ability to now do an ACAL on a time-based interrupt, it seems that you could enable the ability to follow the 3458A documentation to do an ACAL when the temp changes more than +/- 1C from the last ACAL. I could imagine just storing the temp sensor value when the Interrupt fires and then just checking it whenever you gather the temp sensor data.

Anyway, just thought I'd propose this.

TonyG

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #637 on: August 22, 2023, 04:27:02 pm »
Hey Ian,

I have a feature request for you to fill up that copious free time you have :-DD

Temp-triggered interrupt - With the ability to now do an ACAL on a time-based interrupt, it seems that you could enable the ability to follow the 3458A documentation to do an ACAL when the temp changes more than +/- 1C from the last ACAL. I could imagine just storing the temp sensor value when the Interrupt fires and then just checking it whenever you gather the temp sensor data.

Anyway, just thought I'd propose this.

TonyG

Sounds like a reasonably easy one to implement. Might have to create a separate TAB for all this interrupt related stuff I think though.
Will need to make sure that we don't get into runaway ACAL of the temp changes are too drastic, I can't imagine lots of ACAL's run in immediate succession would be good!

Ian.

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #638 on: August 22, 2023, 09:24:11 pm »
Maybe a config property that says "no interrupts quicker than X" or more specifically "no ACALs quicker than X"

TonyG

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #639 on: August 28, 2023, 04:22:21 am »
Just logging this here as I'm not sure if it appeared in the previous 27 pages.

If you launch WinGPIB before plugging in a USB temp sensor then the drop-down won't list the com port for the sensor - Not saying that it needs to be hooked to a USB event but seeing that the drop-down isn't used that much, simply moving the code that identifies com ports to execute when the control gets focus would probably address that.

TonyG

The following users thanked this post: IanJ

Offline chilternview

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #640 on: August 30, 2023, 07:42:03 pm »
I tried the latest version, a few comments:

1) If you specify a COM port for the temp/humidity sensor incorrectly (e.g. COM3 instead of COM4), WinGPIB hangs - you need to use Task Manager to kill it.

2) The default for the playback chart is still to auto calculate the Y axis. As doing this is dog slow, can the default be changed? Also, you can't manually set the Y axis until a CSV file is loaded, then you have to re-load the CSV after setting the desired Y axis limits for them to take effect.

Apart from that all seems to be working fine!

The following users thanked this post: IanJ

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #641 on: September 07, 2023, 07:57:41 pm »
Another feature request (though it's completely possible that this is already available and I've just missed the option in the UI) - Could we also grab the TEMP? value of the 3458A when doing a reading?

Thanks,

TonyG

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #642 on: September 07, 2023, 08:08:58 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_109_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_109_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Hi all,

REFRESH button added to TEMP/HUMIDITY tab so the available COM port list can be updated without restarting the app.
I could have made it auto update but didn't really want another process running in the background.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #643 on: September 08, 2023, 07:56:46 am »
Another feature request (though it's completely possible that this is already available and I've just missed the option in the UI) - Could we also grab the TEMP? value of the 3458A when doing a reading?

Thanks,

TonyG

If you mean adding it to the LOG file automatically then I think that's too 3458A specific, and would require a bit of a re-write etc.

If you mean just having it for display, then its possible to add that feature, but also make it configurable for any type of command that a reply is requested for.

Ian.

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #644 on: September 08, 2023, 04:17:39 pm »
I was referring to adding it to the log file - My use case would be to take the TEMP? value every 50-100 measurements but I thought it'd be conceptually simpler to just have it as part of the voltage reading (this was based on a recommendation from Dr. Frank for watching my 732A while it settles in here at home, I haven't yet moved it to a temp stable place).

TonyG

Offline enut11

• Frequent Contributor
  • Love building/modifying/restoring test equipment
« Reply #645 on: September 24, 2023, 07:38:55 pm »
I have a HP 3478A DMM and would like to log data using WinGPIB. Is there an example in the channels text file that I can start with to set up my DMM?
an electronics nut from wayback...

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #646 on: September 28, 2023, 02:12:42 pm »
I have a HP 3478A DMM and would like to log data using WinGPIB. Is there an example in the channels text file that I can start with to set up my DMM?

You can probably start with the 3457A or 3458A examples and refer to the 3478A manual for the specifics.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #647 on: October 02, 2023, 11:33:29 am »
WinGPIB_V3_110_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_110_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

These mods are relative to the Data Log / CSV / Event Log tab.

I have fixed a bug on the CSV FILENAME text box where it wasn't flipping between read-only and writeable reliably.

I have added the ability to save metadata to the LOG file.
There is a new text box where you can compile your metadata text (multiline).
Then when you check the Enable (start) CSV check box to start logging it will write the metadata to the file.

Notes:
1. The Playback Chart code has been adapted to ignore all lines in the CSV containing "//" when reading in the data.
2. If you make multiple starts/stops on the same CSV file then the metadata will be written multiple times throughout your CSV. This is handy to mark sections of your CSV with any particular parameters or changes you may have made.

Code: [Select]
// HP 3245A No.1 24hr test
// 23.5degC, aircon on 24/7
// 02/10/2023 9am start
1,HP3458A,2023-10-02_12:15:21,1.0000011490,24.38,46.64
2,HP3458A,2023-10-02_12:15:26,1.0000004290,24.38,46.67
3,HP3458A,2023-10-02_12:15:31,1.0000012210,24.36,46.64
4,HP3458A,2023-10-02_12:15:35,1.0000014160,24.39,46.63
5,HP3458A,2023-10-02_12:15:41,1.0000014570,24.38,46.63
6,HP3458A,2023-10-02_12:15:46,1.0000013290,24.35,46.65
7,HP3458A,2023-10-02_12:15:51,1.0000010280,24.36,46.69

UPDATE: Version V3_112 now available, I have moved the metadata entry textbox to the left side of the Data Log / CSV / Event Log screen.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 01:50:21 am by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #648 on: October 02, 2023, 02:17:15 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_111_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_111_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Small update to the above, now displaying the metadata as read from the CSV file on the PlayBack Chart screen.
It is displayed when the CSV file is opened.

Ian.

Ian.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 01:51:44 am by IanJ »

The following users thanked this post: croma641

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #649 on: October 03, 2023, 10:20:23 am »
WinGPIB_V3_113_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_113_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Update on the metadata functionality.
You may have stopped and started logging to the same CSV thus there may be more than one group of metadata and you might have updated the metadata text for those subsequent groups.
So now, when you load the CSV into the Playback Chart the separated groups will now be sectioned, as below.

Code: [Select]
HP 3245A No.1 24hr test
23.5degC, aircon on 24/7
02/10/2023 9am start
-------------------------------
23.5degC, 3:30pm
aircon switched off, temp expected to rise from now

Note: In regard to the structure of the metadata within the CSV it will be located in the CSV immediately above it's own data.

Ian.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 02:54:19 pm by IanJ »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf