Author Topic: WinGPIB - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)  (Read 217377 times)

Offline TonoT

Re: WinGPIB - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)
« Reply #675 on: December 23, 2023, 08:42:20 pm »
This is a part of the basic python script that works for me (returns data):

import pyvisa
Command = "RUT"
rm = pyvisa.ResourceManager()
items = rm.list_resources()
item =  "GPIB0::1::INSTR"
print("Opening " + item)
instrument = rm.open_resource(item)
print(item + " Opened")
instrument.write(Command)
result = instrument.read_bytes(21)
print(''.join(format(x, '02x') for x in result))
print(result.decode("utf-8"))

Result:
55542b30303030303030313939322e452b30300d0a
UT+00000001992.E+00  << It indeed is an RD-1992
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 09:03:21 am by TonoT »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #676 on: December 24, 2023, 01:37:28 pm »
I'm trying to get this software working on my HP3457A and Racal DANA 1992.
Browsing through the messages here, I noticed that there seems to be issues in retrieving data from it.
Please know (if not yet known) that this device is stubborn: it's not using EOI, but it's replies are ALWAYS just 21 bytes (CR/LF included). Nothing signaling data is available.
All commands starting with R just return 21 bytes (indeed results are prefixed). It seems that you can only read exactly 21 bytes using read_bytes().
Please refer to this site:https://tomverbeure.github.io/2022/12/18/Setting-Up-a-GPIB-Communication-with-a-Racal-Dana-1992-Counter.html
That site got me up and running with some simple commands (RUT,RGS etc, yet the STB part that is explained there didn't work for me)

The supplied GPIBchannels.txt file has examples of how to get WInGPIB working with both the 3457A and the Racal-Dana 1991 (presume 1992 is the same).

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline TonoT

« Reply #677 on: December 24, 2023, 02:35:50 pm »
Hey Ian,

First of all: thanks for all your work (including your YT-video's, I love them) and your reply.
Yes, I looked at the docs you mentjioned. For the RACAL DANA 1992, they do not work (or perhaps I did not configure the GUI correct), I'm always getting the read timeout.
That was in essence what I tried to explain: whatever solution I try on it, I always get the read-timeout UNLESS I use the read_bytes(21) solution.
In the enclosed screenshot, I used device 2, and sent the blocking command RUT, which should result in the device-type 1992.... Yet, I get the timeout errors upon reading.
The device recognises requests, the responses just don't come through.

The HP3457A probably has an issue with the GPIB-interface, it never responds (but still trying to work out that one).
Again, it may be misconfig by me, I'm just setting my first steps on GPIB....

Offline TonoT

« Reply #678 on: December 24, 2023, 02:48:25 pm »
P.s. I'm using a National Instruments GPIB-USB-HS which works, its working fine with my Fluke PM2813; so adapter and cabling are fine.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 03:07:33 pm by TonoT »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #679 on: December 24, 2023, 07:15:59 pm »
Here's my 1991.
I have a couple of GPIB networks, the 1991 just happens to be on GPIB2 which is an Agilent E5810A and Keysight IO libraries loaded on a WIN10 PC.
First thing to do is verify that the 1992 is appearing in your GPIB drivers, in your case NI software, and get the network and GPIB address correct.
I don't know much about NI drivers so not sure what is required in setting up.
PS. In the examples below I did a QUERY ASYNC.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 07:18:13 pm by IanJ »
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline TonoT

« Reply #680 on: December 27, 2023, 03:31:41 pm »
Thanks Ian.
I retested the RACAL DANA 1992 with the settings you gave. The commands like RUT (starting with an R) work okay, but the FA-part will not receive a response and all timeout.
It may be typical for the 1992-version, it may be a hardware-error or a user-error, but I've decided to abandon the GPIB-path for the 1992; getting it to work for that device isn't that important to me.

I noticed in your first post that the source can be requested, is that still valid? If so, I really would like to have a peek at it.....

Ton.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #681 on: December 27, 2023, 04:10:40 pm »
Thanks Ian.
I retested the RACAL DANA 1992 with the settings you gave. The commands like RUT (starting with an R) work okay, but the FA-part will not receive a response and all timeout.
It may be typical for the 1992-version, it may be a hardware-error or a user-error, but I've decided to abandon the GPIB-path for the 1992; getting it to work for that device isn't that important to me.

I noticed in your first post that the source can be requested, is that still valid? If so, I really would like to have a peek at it.....

Ton.

The 1991 has all the GPIB commands that the 1992 has, it's just that the 1992 has some the 1991 doesn't have i.e. FC, RC etc.
A note I made in the GPIBchannels.txt document states "Note: It appears the 1991 needs an input running for GPIB to return 'any' data.", i.e. if you are trying to get GPIB data from Input A then you actually need an Input A running otherwise it'll fail. Wierd!, but thats a Racal-Dana issue.

If you want the source then email me via my website.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #682 on: December 30, 2023, 03:35:50 pm »
New version in Post #1 available for download.
WinGPIB_V3_124_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_124_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

WinGPIB_V3_125_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_125_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing
[Virus scanned using BitDefender AntiVirus]

I have modified the PLAYBACK CHART to now include an RMS average which takes into consideration any baseline drift of the data.......so you only get the average noise across the data irrespective of whether there is drift.
Note that the x1000 & x1000000 multipliers will affect the result in addition to the Max-Min values.
So, in the Device 1 example below the Max-Min value is 6.359uV, whilst the average noise value is 0.9843uV.

PS. I may tweak this because there is a window value I can also take into consideration (not shown). Also, I have done limited testing!
A value for "RMS Window" can be set, as follows:

RMS Window is a variable that represents the size of the window used for calculating the moving average.
The moving average is a statistical calculation used to analyze data points by creating a series of
averages of different subsets of the full data set.

You can adjust the value of RMS Window based on your specific requirements.
Larger values will result in a smoother moving average but might overlook short-term variations,
while smaller values will capture short-term variations but might be more sensitive to noise.
The choice of an appropriate window size depends on the characteristics of your data and the level of
detail you want to capture in the analysis.

Example: For a graph with fast-rising or falling drift/trends, using a smaller windowSize for the moving average can be beneficial. A smaller window size makes the moving average more responsive to short-term variations, allowing it to capture rapid changes in the signal.

This is still a work-in-progress.

Ian.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 11:23:35 am by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #683 on: December 31, 2023, 02:14:22 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_126_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_126_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Added a textbox to the PLAYBACK CHART where you can read off the y-axis scale per division easily.........saves getting out the calculator!

Ian.

Offline doktor pyta

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #684 on: December 31, 2023, 06:03:44 pm »
Is there any idea why my new Dogratian USB-PA (BME280) is not recognized by V3.66 ?
I have no problem talking with it using terminal commands.

Sorry for bothering You but there are more info on quoted subject.
I've sniffed the USB communication between the WinGPIB and Dogratian USB-PA.
WinGPIB v3.126. The software sees what is shown below.

Have an excellent 2024 !

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #685 on: January 01, 2024, 01:24:40 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_127_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_127_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Hi all,

The Dogratian BME-280 Temp/Hum sensor is now working.

A typo in the source code, the returned string when interrogating the BME280 sensor on START is "USB-PA", not "USB-PA (BME280)" as per the other sensors.

PS. This issue may still exist with Dogratian LM75 sensors but I don't have one to test.

Ian.

Is there any idea why my new Dogratian USB-PA (BME280) is not recognized by V3.66 ?
I have no problem talking with it using terminal commands.

The following users thanked this post: doktor pyta

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #686 on: January 01, 2024, 09:01:51 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_128_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_128_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

I have added some functionality so that other types of USB Serial Temperature sensors (or even your own!) can be used with WinGPIB and without me coding WinGPIB specifically to read them.
This is done via the Interface Type  "USB-User" I have added to the pull down.
The idea is the user specifies the command to be sent to the Temperature sensor which initiates a reply string from the sensor containing the Temperature value - See your sensor datasheet.
From there, the string returned may contain other characters and so needs cleaned up. There are two options for cleaning this up, as follows:

If the string is fairly simple and contains text either side of the returned temperature value, i.e. Temp22.6degC, then the Parse Left and Parse Right entries allow for characters to be removed leaving the final temperature value.

Or, regular Expressions as specified by the user can be used instead:

Regarding the Regex (Regular expression) used in my example above = (\d+(\.\d+)?) as follows:

\d+ This part matches one or more digits. \d is a shorthand character class that represents any digit (0-9), and + indicates one or more occurrences.

(\.\d+)? This part represents an optional decimal portion. It is enclosed in parentheses to form a capturing group. Here's how it breaks down:
\. This matches a literal dot (decimal point). The backslash \ is used to escape the dot because in regular expressions, a dot typically represents any character. Here, we want to match a literal dot.
\d+ This part matches one or more digits after the decimal point.
? This indicates that the entire group (decimal portion) is optional, allowing for cases where there might not be a decimal part.

Putting it all together, the entire pattern (\d+(\.\d+)?) can be explained as follows:
\d+ Match one or more digits (integer part).
(\.\d+)? Optionally, match a dot followed by one or more digits (decimal part).

This pattern is useful for extracting numeric values from strings that may include integers or decimal numbers. It ensures flexibility by allowing for the presence or absence of a decimal portion.

Ian.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 10:15:23 am by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #687 on: January 02, 2024, 11:03:11 am »
WinGPIB_V3_129_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_129_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Further mods to the user adjustable protocol for the Temperature sensor.

I have added the ability to perform arithmetic operations on the parsed value.
In the example below I entered *1.8,+32 which takes the parsed value and multiplies by 1.8 and then adds 32.
If you haven't noticed this is DegC to DegF, but you can do any arithmentic operations and any amount of them (comma delimit).
Leave this textbox empty, or use *1 if you don't want to use it.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #688 on: January 02, 2024, 12:17:40 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_130_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_130_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

I have added the ability to change the Temperature & Humidity units across the app.
Per the screenshot below change the text here, go to the main WinGPIB tab and save the settings.

The new units text labels will be reflected across the app including the Device Meters, PlayBack Chart & PDVS2mini tabs.

Note: To be clear this is the text labels only and assumes your incoming data is in the units you want.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #689 on: January 02, 2024, 01:59:30 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_131_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_131_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Some small GUI tweaks:

1. Temp./Hum TAB, if USB-User is not selected then the relevant settings are greyed out.
2. Animated the title banner on the App........specifically the "Please Donate....." text........Hint Hint....:-)

Still to do: Allow for User setting of the BAUD rate etc on the USB-User protocol.

Ian.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 10:45:45 am by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #690 on: January 03, 2024, 10:45:34 am »
WinGPIB_V3_132_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_132_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Have added the ability to set the serial port settings for the USB-User User Defined Protocol.
I can't test very easily as I don't have any non-DogRatian temperature sensors, but my limited testing it looks ok.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #691 on: January 03, 2024, 01:27:13 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_133_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_133_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Tidied up the Temp/Hum TAB, added some notes etc.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #692 on: January 03, 2024, 04:31:25 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_134_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_134_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Small update to the TEMP/HUM tab, I have added a couple of flashing indicators to show the serial port Tx and Rx.
This will help troubleshooting if you happen to use your own USB-User protocol.

The example screenshot below shows a reply from the Temperature Sensor has been received.
An example of a problem would be the Tx flashing but no Rx flash at all.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #693 on: January 05, 2024, 01:25:16 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_135_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_135_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

WinGPIB_V3_136_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_136_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

The COM Port on the Temp/Hum tab now saves the selected port when you hit the Save Settings button on the main tab.
This took a little longer to fix up because ports can drop off when you unplug USB devices etc so had to do some checks first etc.
If your saved port from a previous session isn't available then the COM Port will display as blank.
A pop-up will appear if you try to START without a COM port selected.

Update: Added tooltips and text labels on baud rate text boxes etc.

Ian.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 07:25:15 pm by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #694 on: January 07, 2024, 11:32:51 am »
WinGPIB_V3_137_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_137_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Small update to fix bug in PDVS2mini Calibration functions and tidy up the GUI layout (Temp/Hum) tab a little.

Ian.

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix

Offline chilternview

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #695 on: January 10, 2024, 04:26:20 pm »
Hi Ian,
There seems to be a bug appeared since v3.136 with the temp/humity sensor.
I have the DogRatian USB-TnH SHT30 on COM4, when I select that in the dialog and hit Start it immediately changes the port to COM3 then does nothing. Changing the port back to COM4 and it reads temperature but humidity is 'nil'. The start/stop buttons have Stop greyed out. Pressing Start resets to COM3 every time.
regards
Keith
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 04:33:31 pm by chilternview »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #696 on: January 10, 2024, 07:04:14 pm »
Hi Ian,
There seems to be a bug appeared since v3.136 with the temp/humity sensor.
I have the DogRatian USB-TnH SHT30 on COM4, when I select that in the dialog and hit Start it immediately changes the port to COM3 then does nothing. Changing the port back to COM4 and it reads temperature but humidity is 'nil'. The start/stop buttons have Stop greyed out. Pressing Start resets to COM3 every time.
regards
Keith

Did you save your port selection?
To do so, pick the correct port on the pulldown (COM4 in your case), then go to the DEVICE 1/2 tab and press SAVE ALL PROFILES/SETTINGS.
Restart WinGPIB and when you go to the TEMP/HUM tab you should see your COM4 already selected in the pulldown......and if you press START now it should be ok.

I suspect it is jumping to COM3 because thats the default selection save from my PC here. Let me know how you get on.

In the next version I'll add some instructions next to the buttons to help folks and/or amend the code a little.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #697 on: January 10, 2024, 07:20:22 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_138_full.zip - Fresh install
WinGPIB_V3_138_updated_exe.zip - Updated exe to replace existing

Small update regarding selection of the COM port on the Temp/Hum tab.

Ian.

Offline chilternview

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #698 on: January 10, 2024, 08:49:31 pm »

To do so, pick the correct port on the pulldown (COM4 in your case), then go to the DEVICE 1/2 tab and press SAVE ALL PROFILES/SETTINGS.
Restart WinGPIB and when you go to the TEMP/HUM tab you should see your COM4 already selected in the pulldown......and if you press START now it should be ok.

I suspect it is jumping to COM3 because thats the default selection save from my PC here. Let me know how you get on.

In the next version I'll add some instructions next to the buttons to help folks and/or amend the code a little.

Ian.

Ah yes, I thought I had, but when I saved and restarted it picked up the saved port - and now the humidity works (not that its of much interest ;)

I do like the interrupt facility, so I can run an ACAL automatically on the two 3458A's at a regular interval.

One more 'nice to have' request - can you also save the Live Chart Y scale / temp scale values to the settings? That would save having to enter them every time...

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #699 on: January 11, 2024, 02:08:02 pm »

Ian.

Ah yes, I thought I had, but when I saved and restarted it picked up the saved port - and now the humidity works (not that its of much interest ;)

I do like the interrupt facility, so I can run an ACAL automatically on the two 3458A's at a regular interval.

One more 'nice to have' request - can you also save the Live Chart Y scale / temp scale values to the settings? That would save having to enter them every time...

The Live chart seting are saved.......the Live Chart page has it's own SAVE SETTINGS button.
On the next version I have given the Temp/Hum page it's own SAVE SETTINGS button also.

Ian.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf