Author Topic: WinGPIB - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)  (Read 216795 times)

yuhar and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ironcurtain

• Regular Contributor
Re: WinGPIB - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)
« Reply #800 on: June 06, 2024, 01:04:33 am »
If you added support for the HP 8924c command set, I could see quite some people interested in the project.

Keysight's 9018-40254.pdf contains the programming reference for all the commands :-)
"If you are going to fail, at least do so spectacularly."

Kurtz: [intercepted radio message] I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving. -- Apocalypse Now (1979)

Offline IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #801 on: June 06, 2024, 07:56:06 am »
If you added support for the HP 8924c command set, I could see quite some people interested in the project.

Keysight's 9018-40254.pdf contains the programming reference for all the commands :-)

I assume there's very specific features and interactions between much of the data and commands that need sent to the 8924c.
WinGPIB is a general purpose GPIB app, capable of communicating with any GPIB enabled device on a simple control or data logging basis.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Online yuhar

• Contributor
« Reply #802 on: June 06, 2024, 08:06:24 am »
Very nice job!

Working all interrupt type. (I tested at the device 2.)

a small note: without Query Async the interrupt pause in log is two sample periods longer than the set value.
(Later the interrupt may be indicated by a vertical marker on the live chart.)

I want to submit a claim for a second reed command (Query Async) at run; I could also query the system temperature with it. (:SYST:TEMP?)  - of course in optional form.

Many Thanks

Istvan

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #803 on: June 06, 2024, 08:46:22 am »
Very nice job!

Working all interrupt type. (I tested at the device 2.)

a small note: without Query Async the interrupt pause in log is two sample periods longer than the set value.
(Later the interrupt may be indicated by a vertical marker on the live chart.)

I want to submit a claim for a second reed command (Query Async) at run; I could also query the system temperature with it. (:SYST:TEMP?)  - of course in optional form.

Many Thanks

Istvan

The 'two sample' issue will be down to the various timers that are running in the background, one for the interrupt system, one for the Dev1 and also a stopwatch I am using for the interrupt duration etc....hence probably an overlap issue. Not an easy job to sync them up, but I will have a look.

It's possible AT RUN could be extended to allow multiple commands, like PRE-RUN, but I probably won't implement that as there just isn't the space......plus the knock-on effect for CSV logging etc might be problematic.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline ironcurtain

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #804 on: June 06, 2024, 08:53:56 am »
Yes, but the commands aren't especially complicated. The command set seems common to most GSM/mobile/RF "all in one" testsets from HP/Agilent/Keysight.
I might write my own batched test tool when I have some free time, since my use case is a bit specific (hamradio/commercial radio set/transceiver testing).
"If you are going to fail, at least do so spectacularly."

Kurtz: [intercepted radio message] I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving. -- Apocalypse Now (1979)

Online yuhar

• Contributor
« Reply #805 on: June 06, 2024, 08:58:57 am »
It could be continuously, maybe it would be controlled by the first "RESPONSE".

Introducing a new device name (Device*-temp or something) would not disturb the existing processes either (CSV, livechart...)

Or just add a new column to the rows.

Istvan
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 09:02:13 am by yuhar »

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #806 on: June 06, 2024, 05:58:08 pm »
New version in Post #1 available for download. - PLEASE READ THE INFO IN POST #766 BEFORE UPGRADING TO THIS VERSION IF YOU ARE COMING FROM V3.177 OR EARLIER.
WinGPIB_V3_189.zip
[Virus scanned using BitDefender AntiVirus]
Need help installing, upgrading or moving to a new PC, then see instructions in Post #1

General tidy up:
- Reverse direction of the Data Log & Event Log, more intuitive IMHO start at top and append new entry to bottom.
- Tidy up various writes to the Event Log that were missing the time/date stamp.
- App will shutdown more cleanly if 'X' is hit whilst connected to devices etc.

Ian.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 08:25:25 pm by IanJ »

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #807 on: June 06, 2024, 08:21:36 pm »
New version in Post #1 available for download. - PLEASE READ THE INFO IN POST #766 BEFORE UPGRADING TO THIS VERSION IF YOU ARE COMING FROM V3.177 OR EARLIER.
WinGPIB_V3_190.zip
Need help installing, upgrading or moving to a new PC, then see instructions in Post #1

Added the last write to the CSV file below the Data Log (Log File Metadata entry has moved).
Nice confirmation when logging to CSV that it's running.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 08:24:33 pm by IanJ »

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #808 on: June 07, 2024, 08:01:27 am »
Latest version (185) is marked as a trojan by Windows Defender. Please can this be fixed...

Microsoft's reply (7th July):

The warning you experienced indicates that the application had not established reputation with the Microsoft Defender SmartScreen Application Reputation feature at that time.
We can confirm that the application %wingpib.exe%,, (sha256 –“ac4047be6ad8734446f4c9808c7786e04a889e63b3c4862a582675d64981e72a”) has since established reputation and attempting to download or run the application should no longer show any warnings.

Please update MS Defender virus definitions to avoid another false positive, and I am guessing if I read the above right that it should never happen again.

Ian.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 12:05:34 pm by IanJ »

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #809 on: June 07, 2024, 04:16:53 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_192.zip

Small tweaks to the Live Chart:
- Y-Axis Temperature scale (right) now has same amount of labels as the Device value Y-Axis (left) labels.
- Small GUI changes.

Ian.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #810 on: June 07, 2024, 08:04:28 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_193.zip

Added the ability on the DEVICE METERS tab to enter in any units of your choice.
Two simple text editable fields, click to edit.

PS. I added this just so I can screen-capture the readout for inclusion on my YT videos!

Ian.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #811 on: June 13, 2024, 10:57:02 am »
WinGPIB_V3_194.zip

Small updates:
1. Device Meters units now saved on the main SAVE ALL PROFILES/SETTINGS button.
2. Cleaner shutdown, any open serial ports are now closed on the app shutdown 'X'.

Ian.

Online yuhar

• Contributor
« Reply #812 on: June 16, 2024, 10:19:49 am »
Hi Ian,

Can I have, the new "read" (Query Async command) clear the "Response" fild first? (Even before the command.)

(Maybe at Query Blocking too)

Istvan
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 11:20:38 am by yuhar »

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #813 on: June 16, 2024, 08:16:55 pm »
Hi Ian,

Can I have, the new "read" (Query Async command) clear the "Response" fild first? (Even before the command.)

(Maybe at Query Blocking too)

Istvan

Hi,

You'll have to explain better what you want, I don't have a clue what you are meaning...:-)

Ian.

Online yuhar

• Contributor
« Reply #814 on: June 17, 2024, 06:50:24 am »
I write a little shell to Your software that realizes my ideas... (controller for 34465A/34470A) read measurement and temperature one after the other... (maybe later tempereture controlled autocal)

And it is not the best, when the previous measurement value is still visible in the field - Please.

Istvan
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 07:11:38 pm by yuhar »

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #815 on: June 18, 2024, 05:14:31 pm »
I write a little shell to Your software that realizes my ideas... (controller for 34465A/34470A) read measurement and temperature one after the other... (maybe later tempereture controlled autocal)

And it is not the best, when the previous measurement value is still visible in the field - Please.

Istvan

Unfortunately, if I understand you, I think there are too many issues with alternating readings based on one reading completing before allowing the other......related to response time for each device.
At the moment I have a simple timer running Device 1&2. It already sends alternate commands to each device (added to each device queue), and although theoretically they should alternate responses perfectly it depends, as I said, on the response timing from each.
You can see in the Data Log that sometimes a device will respond before the other one in Device 1 & 2 mode.
I don't really want to mess with the existing code for this.

Ian.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #816 on: June 28, 2024, 03:53:40 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_195.zip

Bug Fix = PDVS2mini tab. COM Port selection had a bug whereby it wouldn't always CONNECT to the COM Port selected on the pull-down.

Ian.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #817 on: June 28, 2024, 05:43:54 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_196.zip

Bug Fix = PDVS2mini tab, if trying to SET OUTPUT back to PDVS2mini when Device 1 is not connected program will crash. Have changed this so that you can still communicate with a PDVS2mini even though Device 1 is not connected.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #818 on: June 28, 2024, 09:26:27 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_197.zip WinGPIB_V3_198.zip

Added Tx & Rx LEDs to the PDVS2mini tab so the serial comms with the PDVS2mini is more visible.

UPDATE: V3.198 - LEDs moved position.

Ian.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 12:12:56 pm by IanJ »

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #819 on: June 29, 2024, 09:52:47 am »
So I was playing around with a new USB to RS232 (TTL) device, the Waveshare USB TO RS232/485/TTL. I chose this model because it has an isolated USB port meaning that the any mains born noise on the earth will not make it's way to the PDVS2mini when connected using WinGPIB.
However, I came across an issue and thought I'd post here concerning a common issue of getting an FTDI based USB-Serial (TTL) adaptor working on Windows.

If you are lucky, you plug in your cheap FTDI based adaptor, drivers automatically load, and it just works! If not, then you sometimes have to jump through hoops, the symptoms being you can see a COM Port in Device Manager but it doesn't work properly with your Comms app, i.e. WinGPIB or any other serial app, or worse still you don't see a COM Port at all.

The quick fix is to dump the FTDI based adaptor and buy a CH340G, CH343G, CP2102 etc. based adaptor as they 'just work'. But, if you are stuck with FTDI, then here's some tips based on my experience:

If you install the FTDI driver software then it may appear in Device Manager under PORTS as "FTDI......", but this may not work properly.
It has to appear in Device Manager as "USB Serial Port (ComX)" where X is your port number.

Zadig is a great wee app ( https://zadig.akeo.ie ) that allows you to change drivers for a device on the fly, quickly and easily, however, I found that Zadig doesn't support changing to the FTDI driver.
If it could, you'd want Zadig to change out the driver for one listed as "FTDIBUS (v2.12.6.0)" but the selection available to do so is not listed and none of the ones that are will work.

So, going back to Device Manager the answer lies there.

First, download the FTDI VCP driver from https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/
(At time of writing I installed CDM-v2.12.36.4-WHQL-Certified)
Unzip and right click on both the .INF files and select INSTALL. You should get confirmation each time that the driver is installed......but of course it won't actually be active!

Next, open Device Manager, right click on the COM Port and select UPDATE DRIVER and select BROWSE FOR DRIVERS ON MY COMPUTER
Then at the bottom select LET ME PICK FROM A LIST OF AVAILABLE DRIVERS ON MY COMPUTER, and select "USB Serial Port Version........".
PS. HAVE DISK is an option but I didn't need to do that.

Once you do this (you may need to re-boot), Device Manager should now list your COM Port as "USB Serial Port (ComX)", and if you did open Zadig just for a look then it should list as "FTDIBUS (v2.12.6.0)"

Hope that helps somebody!

Ian.

Some screenshots (configured & working COM Port):

Device Manager:

Device Manager:

Device Manager:

Zadig:

Waveshare USB to RS232/485/TTL adaptor (FTDI version):
Note: There is an alternative version of this called the (B) that uses the CH343G chipset.

WinGPIB PDVS2mini comms:

Some of my, now redundant, cheap Chinese USB TTL adaptors!:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 02:07:24 pm by IanJ »

The following users thanked this post: Grandchuck

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #820 on: June 29, 2024, 07:12:09 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_199.zip

Most buttons on the PDVS2mini tab are now disabled until Device 1 is active.

Ian.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #821 on: June 30, 2024, 12:05:06 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_200.zip WinGPIB_V3_201.zip WinGPIB_V3_202.zip
WinGPIB is for non-commercial use only, contact me if you wish to use it in your business environment.

Decreased the size of the app on-screen a little, including the Playback Chart in order to help with lower resolution screens.
Fixed the Y-axis labels on the Temp/Hum chart on the Playback Chart also so that they match the grid better.
Re-affirmed the non-commercial use of WinGPIB by adding a message on the title bar of the app.

Ian.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024, 03:21:20 pm by IanJ »

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #822 on: July 03, 2024, 01:11:26 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_203.zip
WinGPIB is for non-commercial use only, contact me if you wish to use it in your business environment.

Further reduced size of the Playback Chart GUI so it fits better on low res monitors. I managed to squeeze out a few more pixels.

Ian.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #823 on: July 06, 2024, 07:53:05 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_204.zip

Small update to the Playback Chart - Disabling some of the Device 2 controls if Device 1 is the only device logged in the CSV.

Ian.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 09:14:27 am by IanJ »

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #824 on: July 06, 2024, 10:59:37 pm »
I just felt the need to point out how amazing it is that I'm able to set up WinGPIB, using the NI VISA Server and a VPN to run the app on my laptop here in Perth Australia and check how my 3245A is going with my 3458A that are located in my house in Renton USA...9262 miles away... absolutely amazing...

The following users thanked this post: IanJ

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf