Author Topic: WinGPIB - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)  (Read 175623 times)

yuhar and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
Re: 3458a logging via Windows app.....revisited
« Reply #325 on: November 16, 2020, 09:23:05 pm »
Hi all,

Version 2.90 available for download in post #1.

- Fixed bug in "Enable Polling", not working on "Query Async" button.
- "no EOI" checkbox added as an option for those instruments that don't use EOI (untested).
- "Remove Chars" checkbox added as an option to remove 'letters' from the data returned from an instruments such as the Racal-Dana 1991 which appears to echo the last command sent appended with the numerical data.
- Updated GPIBchannels.txt file (copy of my own).

Ian.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 09:48:19 pm by IanJ »
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #326 on: November 19, 2020, 05:18:05 pm »
Hi all,

Version 2.94 available for download in post #1.

Playback Chart modifications/bug fixes:

- Fixing the Zoom buttons so they work better/more accurately.
- Set the grid scales (X & Y) dynamically per the X & Y axis data being displayed.
- Temperature & Humidity checkboxes now work immediately when checked/unchecked thus no need to hit Zoom All to refresh.
- Added additional Left/Right buttons, the inner ones move the graph with less increments.

Well, unless there are any glaring bugs or functions that need to be looked at then this is it for a while...............Please enjoy the App, and don't forget the DONATE button on the App if you want to help me with coffee!

Cheers!

Ian.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 05:57:28 pm by IanJ »
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

The following users thanked this post: enut11, wolfy007

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #327 on: January 02, 2021, 01:15:05 pm »
Hi all,

Version 3.05 available for download in post #1.

This is a major re-write of the GUI. There interface is now now tabbed making for a much less busy interface.

The tabs as follows:-
- Device 1/2
- Temperature/Humidity
- Data Log / CSV / Event Log
- Charts
- PDVS2mini
- Misc.
- 3458A Cal Ram

I have also added /1000 checkbox on the main Device 1/2 form to move the D.P. when logging some devices.

The 3458A Cal Ram tab is not implemented yet, the plan is to be able to read the caldata from a 3458A DMM DS1220 non-volatile ram IC similarly to some of those DOS/Linux/Py applications out there................If anyone has any C# or VB code, or otherwise some instruction as to how to extract the calram data then let me know.

Ian.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 11:46:22 am by IanJ »

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, Grandchuck

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #328 on: January 03, 2021, 07:23:17 pm »
Hi all,

Version 3.06 available for download in post #1.

I have added a utility to download the calram IC (DS1220Y) data from the 3458A multimeter and save it to a binary file.

It is experimental, but seems to work fine with me. I compared the output with the DOS app (3458ACalramExtract.exe) from Alan Ambrose and the files generated are identical.

Ian.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 08:30:58 pm by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
Re: Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)
« Reply #329 on: January 04, 2021, 07:35:35 am »
Topic title renamed:

Old - 3458a logging via Windows app.....revisited
New - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #330 on: January 04, 2021, 10:10:01 am »
3458A calram reading query:

Reading back the calram from my 3458A during the development of this feature I got some unexexpected results.....I have written around them but just wondered what others think, and ask if I have missed something.

So reading back the calram data address locations from the 3458A I got decimal strings (not HEX) and therefore realized I would have to convert to hex. However, some decimal numbers were negative and some had 'digits' missing when converted to HEX. The latter just a leading zero thing when converting decimal to HEX so not too bothered about that.

Issue 1:
A large negative decimal number (can't remember exactly what it was) and when I converted to HEX gave FFFFE3B9
I stripped off the FFFF
I stripped off the B9 (this I did know, it's well known that the low byte is not required and needs stripped off)
Which left E3.....which I knew was correct.

Issue 2:
A small decimal number which I converted to HEX.
I'd get FB9 which needs needs a 0 added to give 0FB9, and then strip off the B9 per above.
Which left 0F.....which I knew was correct.

Issue 3:
A small decimal number which I converted to HEX.
I'd get B9 which needs 00 added to give 00B9, and then strip off the B9 per above.
Which left 00.....which I knew was correct.

With the above as part of my code the net result is a perfect match between my results and the existing DOS app out there that I had used on my 3458A before hand.
I'm just curious why the negative numbers!

Ideas?

Ian.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 10:43:38 am by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #331 on: January 05, 2021, 07:46:53 am »
Hi all,

Version 3.08 3.09 available for download in post #1.

I have added a utility to download the calram IC data from the 3457A Multimeter (as well as the 3458A).
The 3457A has two versions of hardware with different memory maps so I have provided provision for both.

For the 3457A, it is highly experimental, I have not tested or verified the .bin output in any way. Feedback appreciated.

UPDATE:
Slight tweak to 3457A address range, should be 64 to 511 not 512.

Ian.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 08:44:00 am by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #332 on: January 05, 2021, 07:01:08 pm »
Hi all,

Version 3.10 available for download in post #1.

Bug fix on the 3457A calram extract to do with making sure the Hex values are formatted properly when incoming numerical strings are all different lengths.
Also the counter wasn't being reset when re-running the extraction again.

PS. I have two 3457A's:-
03457-88810 D/C 9111 REV 2
03457-88810 D/C 9048 REV 2
It appears these two units are the older type since they get different results using the 64-511 address range (presumably the calram), but get identical results with the 20480-22527 range.

Ian.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 07:04:25 pm by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #333 on: January 08, 2021, 12:22:59 pm »
Hi all,

Version 3.12 available for download in post #1.

General tidy up, moving things, better layout, adding HEX addreses to CalRam addresses on form.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #334 on: January 08, 2021, 03:31:41 pm »
Hi all,

Version 3.13 available for download in post #1.

Fixed glaring bug on CHARTS.....none of the buttons were working!

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #335 on: January 09, 2021, 02:19:10 pm »
Hi all,

Version 3.14 available for download in post #1.

I have added the ability to extract the Settings NVRam IC (DS1235) contents (both) from the 3458A DMM. See the screenshot in post #1.
NB. The Settings NVRams store the ACAL data and the front panel custom button config etc I believe.....and a whole lot more probably!.

These are 32k NVRam IC's and take around 20 - 30mins to extract per IC.

INFO:
Address range (Cal Ram) 0x60000 (393216) - 0x60FFE (397310)
Address range (Settings Ram 1) 0x120000 (1179648) - 0x127FFF (1212415)
Address range (Settings Ram 2) 0x128000 (1212416) - 0x12FFFF (1245183)

I have also added an ABORT button in order to quit the extract process if required.

I have attached here my own 3458A CalRam IC contents and both the Settings IC contents here for info.
Also, the 3457A CalRam IC contents from both my 3457A's (both old type Rom)

Please note that whilst I have verified the 3458A calram extract .bin file with another DOS app (identical result) I have not verified the Settings .bin files......it's mostly theory based on memory address and other info I found.

Ian.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 03:04:37 pm by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #336 on: March 07, 2021, 07:24:06 pm »
Hi all,

Version 3.18 available for download in post #1.

Added some extra features to PDVS2mini auto-calibration, and also made it more flexible by adding a "Re-run Final Calibration button" and the ability to manually tweak calibration at 100 NPLC.

Ian.

The following users thanked this post: Grandchuck

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #337 on: March 09, 2021, 05:17:11 pm »
Hi all,

Version 3.20 available for download in post #1.

Finally got the PDVS2mini auto-calibration "sorted"...........I was plagued with an intermittent GPIB time-out when manually adjusting some of the settings, so re-wrote that part and now it works.
As such, am now able to manually tweak/calibrate at 200 NPLC.

I know just about nobody else will be using the PDVS2mini Auto-Cal facility except me......but there are folks that like to have the latest build.

Please remember to DONATE (see the ABOUT tab in the app)......it's much appreciated.

Ian.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:32:26 pm by IanJ »

The following users thanked this post: THDplusN_bad, wolfy007

Offline THDplusN_bad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #338 on: March 23, 2021, 01:43:40 pm »
Good Day Ian,

thank you for your time and efforts that went into this. I have found this very useful! Donated a small amount via paypal.

I have misinterpreted your program in the first place, as I have thought that this would work with the mentioned HP/Agilent/keysight/Dunnothecompanynamethisyear 3458As/3457s only.
Not so. I got this working just fine with a Tektronix 4050 DMM (Fluke 8846 equivalent) today. I have started with the unit in 8842A compatibility mode, then got it working with SCSI commands.
It works fine with NI VISA from National Instrument installed on my system. Here are a few friendly tips. I am including a few screenshots, too.

Cheers,

THDplusN_bad

Tips for setting up the program:

* Install NI VISA and a GPIB adapter.
* Make sure everything works as expected. Use NI MAX to double-check GPIB address details.
* You can either:
    * Set the Tek 4050 into 8842A emulation mode.
    * Command for "emulated" 8842A: '*F1R1S1T2'
* or use the following equivalent commands to operate the 4050 DMM in "native mode"; refer to the setup instructions from Ian:
    * Send Asyc: 'Conf:volt:dc DEF; volt:dc:nplc 10; :INIT'
    * At run: 'read?'
* With zero-ing:
  *Send Asnyc: 'Conf:volt:dc DEF; volt:dc:nplc 10; Zero:auto 1; :INIT'
  *At run: 'read?'

Further tips:
* If your sample rate settings allow, use 100 NPLCycles with the following command for 'Send Asnyc:' 'Conf:volt:dc DEF; volt:dc:nplc 100; Zero:auto 1; :INIT'
* You might also want to save the 4050 DMM's VFD / display a few hours of operation, and add the following command to turn it off: 'DISP OFF' to the 'Send Async:' command.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #339 on: March 23, 2021, 01:50:47 pm »
Good Day Ian,

thank you for your time and efforts that went into this. I have found this very useful! Donated a small amount via paypal.

I have misinterpreted your program in the first place, as I have thought that this would work with the mentioned HP/Agilent/keysight/Dunnothecompanynamethisyear 3458As/3457s only.
Not so. I got this working just fine with a Tektronix 4050 DMM (Fluke 8846 equivalent) today. I have started with the unit in 8842A compatibility mode, then got it working with SCSI commands.
It works fine with NI VISA from National Instrument installed on my system. Here are a few friendly tips. I am including a few screenshots, too.

THDplusN_bad,

Thankyou very much for the donation, it is very much appreciated.
I'll add your hints and tips to the notepad instructions text file (next release) so that it's there for others also.

As you found out, the app is very much generic across most makes and models of devices. I have only come across one device where it didn't work 100% properly and that was due to a device problem and not the app.

Thanks again,

Ian.

Offline THDplusN_bad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #340 on: March 23, 2021, 09:26:28 pm »
Cheers, Ian!  :-+

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:28:13 pm by THDplusN_bad »

Offline pwlps

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #341 on: March 23, 2021, 10:11:01 pm »
Hi,

Just one little correction to your tips:

* Send Asyc: 'Conf:volt:dc DEF; volt:dc:nplc 10; :INIT'

should have been

* PRE RUN: 'Conf:volt:dc DEF; volt:dc:nplc 10; :INIT'

Offline THDplusN_bad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #342 on: March 24, 2021, 09:00:59 am »
Good Day,

Doh - yes, thanks. The commands were entered into the right entry field in Ian's program, I believe; but my write-up was incorrect.

Cheers!

THDplusN_bad

Offline THDplusN_bad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #343 on: March 26, 2021, 08:47:21 pm »
Good day Ian,

I trust this message finds you well.
Here is my final, working setup for a Keithley 195 (non-A) digital multimeter/DMM for your excellent program. That is one of those "brown boxes"  from the early 80s. It has a proprietary command set for remote programming; i.e. the command set is not SCPI-compatible. Successfully tested your program with a NI VISA installation. Screenshot attached.

Here are the settings for your program:

"STB mask" set to "16" (default)
"Enable Polling" disabled
"Remove 1st two letters" disabled
"Abort Errors" enabled
"Terminator" disabled
"Send Blocking" enabled

In the "Pre run" entry field:
F0Z1R1P2S6W0A0G1T4X
In the "At run:" entry field:
No entry

Configuration details for the type 195 device. Reference: Keithley 195 Publication Date: August 1983 Document Number: 195-901-0IC
Section 4.10 DEVICE-DEPENDENT COMMAND PROGRAMMING
"F0Z1R1P2S6W0A0G1T4X" configures the Keithley type 195 DMM as follows:
F0 = DC Volts
Z1 = Zero-ing
R1 = Range 20 mV
P2 = Filter off, 32 samples averaged for 5 1/2 digits
S6 = 100 ms integration period, 5 1/2 digits
W0 = min. delay.
A0 = Enable internal multiplex routines (for accuracy)
G1 = Readings without prefix/suffix.
T4 = Trigger Continuous on X commands
X = Execute

I am also including a histogram and a trend plot taken with MS Excel based on 3,500 readings at 5 sec each.
Excel's internal formulas calculated a few parameters as follows:
AVERAGE of -1.58µV
AVEDEV as average of the absolute deviations from mean is 0.161 µV
and a STDEV.P standard deviation of 0.203µV.
If I follow the "six sigma"-theory, then 6 x sigma equals 1.22 µV, which I believe is not too shabby for a 5 1/2 digit multimeter with a basic 24-hour accuracy of 100 ppm plus 40 counts for the 20mV DC range.
The last calibration was in July 2014.
I am not a "volt nut". I was simply curious about the unit's performance. I have shortened the inputs with a bare, short 0.5 mm² / AWG 20 copper wire.
The unit was exposed to some regular temp. difference over the day, i.e. between approx 18 and 24 degrees C in my room.

Cheers,

THDplusN_bad
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 09:20:16 pm by THDplusN_bad »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #344 on: March 27, 2021, 10:48:05 am »
Hi THDplusN_bad,

Thats a wierd screenshot above as some stuff is shifted around on it. Your earlier screenshot was fine though.
........I can only assume in Windows you have increased the font scaling or something?

Hmmmm!

Ian.

Offline THDplusN_bad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #345 on: March 27, 2021, 05:40:22 pm »
Hi Ian,

now worries here - you are correct that I am using large fonts in Windows (150%). Works fine for me, though.

Cheers,

THDplusN_bad

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #346 on: April 10, 2021, 04:06:10 pm »
Hi all,

One user has reported that my app may have been infected with a threat (virus/adware etc) so as a precaution I have double checked everything and uploaded new versions of the zip files.
See Post#1, these new zips are clean (Kaspersky Anti-Vir & Malwarebytes Premium), but I can't guarantee any previous zips as I don't keep them. My Dev PC is clean.

V3_21b_Quick.zip
V3_21b_Installation.zip

Please run a full scan of your PC, remove the old version including deleting download ZIPs and install this new one.

Reference thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/fluke-8842a-gpib/

Thanks,

Ian.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 07:44:42 pm by IanJ »

Offline THDplusN_bad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #347 on: April 15, 2021, 06:24:20 am »
Good Day Ian,

thanks for the heads-up. I cannot confirm any virus alerts or detection, however.  :-+

Cheers,

THDplusN_bad

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #348 on: April 16, 2021, 08:42:38 pm »
Hi all,

Version 3.22 available for download in post #1.

I have modified the 3457A Calibration memory download by adding a user-adjustable range option, I.E:

Address Range start/end anywhere between 0 and 32767 (decimal).

Ian.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #349 on: April 25, 2021, 05:42:06 am »
I can confirm that the software is also working on a Solartron 7061, at least it seems to be, this is my first foray into GPIB.

I spent HOURS trying to get the Agilent USB-GPIB interface up and running, I have no idea what I did but it eventually started working, and once the GPIB showed up properly in the keysight IO software, I was then able to get it to see instruments (none of the unit I have tried so far have been auto identified though, and *IDN? or ID? doesn't seem to work, at least in my case).

Im using a windows 7 machine for this testing too.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf