Author Topic: WinGPIB - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)  (Read 172807 times)

IanJ, CatalinaWOW and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
Re: Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)
« Reply #400 on: January 04, 2022, 10:34:50 pm »
You certainly have been putting in a lot of time on this recently... I still haven't even had the chance to try 3.32 yet....LOL.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #401 on: January 04, 2022, 10:53:33 pm »
On holiday and going at a hundred miles an hour multi-tasking!........not to mention i really like Visual Studio for developing windows apps......great fun!

The 7th digit was easy: read the normal value, read a maths register to get the 7th digit value, sum them and thats the result.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #402 on: January 05, 2022, 05:43:34 pm »
Hi all,

Here's a quick log/graph of the 3457A 7th digit mods in operation. A 1Vdc signal applied.

First 20mins the 3457A is in normal 6-digit mode, you can see there are basically 3 levels, differing each by 1 least significant digit.
Second 20mins I turned on 7-digit mode and you can see there's a lot more data in there, and without the rounding up/down it's more compacted.
If you look closely you can see a tenth more resolution change i think.

How accurate or representative that extra data/resolution is, well the jury is still out on that one. I'll need to test a lot more and with a better voltage source setup, and compare with my 3458A.
WinGPIB is dual channel so those direct comparison tests will be easy.

Ian.

7-digits enabled and working
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 09:11:44 am by IanJ »
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #403 on: January 05, 2022, 08:06:18 pm »
Hi all,

New version V3.35 in Post #1 available for download.
[Virus acanned using Kaspersky Antivirus & Malwarebytes Premium]

HP 3457A DMM 7th digit mode now enabled and working on both channels.
Just check the "3457A Enable 7th Digit" checkbox (you can do it on the fly to see it working).
Note: This should only be used when connected to a 3457A......

PS. There was a bug in the beta version, advise you use this new one.

Ian.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 08:11:32 am by IanJ »

Offline hillflyer

• Contributor
« Reply #404 on: January 06, 2022, 10:38:09 pm »
Hello Ian,
thank you so much for the work you have put into this brilliant app!
I got my 34401A working via RS232. Yay! :)
I am using the "serial printer" feature by enabling GPIB Addr 31:TALK ONLY.
Here is my question:
I want to use the Temp & Humidity feature with my BME280/Arduino/CH340 sensor.
I am able to make it talk to WinGPIB as Device #2.
But what is the right ASCii structure of the temp/humidity payload so that WinGPIB recognizes it as a Temp sensor under the
Temp/Humidity tab? For example just sending "23.90 \n" only works very occasionally.
Greetings,
Hannes

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 10:49:27 pm by hillflyer »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #405 on: January 06, 2022, 10:57:52 pm »
Hannes,

Thanks!

If you look up Dogratian's website he gives full details of the simlle ascii protocol used with his various temp/humidity sensors.
You should be able to mimic one of them no problem and get it working with my app.

https://www.dogratian.com/

If you still have issues i can copy my code here so you can look at it from that direction when i am back in the workshop tomorrow. Let me know.

Ian
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 11:49:58 pm by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #406 on: January 07, 2022, 09:46:36 am »
Hello Ian,
thank you so much for the work you have put into this brilliant app!
I got my 34401A working via RS232. Yay! :)
I am using the "serial printer" feature by enabling GPIB Addr 31:TALK ONLY.
Here is my question:
I want to use the Temp & Humidity feature with my BME280/Arduino/CH340 sensor.
I am able to make it talk to WinGPIB as Device #2.
But what is the right ASCii structure of the temp/humidity payload so that WinGPIB recognizes it as a Temp sensor under the
Temp/Humidity tab? For example just sending "23.90 \n" only works very occasionally.
Greetings,
Hannes

See VB file attached which is the Temp/Humidity interface.

Hope that helps.......but as I said, Dogratians website I think has source code which is more specific to one type of sensor only and thus probably easier to read.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #407 on: January 07, 2022, 10:57:26 am »
Hi all,

New version V3.36 V3.37 V3.38 V3.39 in Post #1 available for download.

1. Fixed bug in the 3457A 7-digit mode whereby it wouldn't work when running Device 1 & 2 at the same time.

2. Added a new TAB called DEVICE METERS which gives large versions of the GPIB data received from both devices as well as Temp/Humidity.
Leading and trailing zero's are masked for readability.
Note: If the device isn't being used then the data will appear as all dashes.

3. 3457A 7-digit mode check box status now saved with the profiles.

4. Fixed bug in Playback Chart that would only show half the logged data per Device when logging both Device 1 & 2 together.

5. Fixed error in PPM Deviation calculation on Playback Chart

PS. Yes, my 3457A needs calibrated......those PPM's will be getting a little upset!

Ian.

EDIT: V3.37 now uploaded.
EDIT: V3.38 now uploaded.
EDIT: V3.39 now uploaded.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 08:20:09 pm by IanJ »

The following users thanked this post: TheDefpom, wolfy007, Labrat101

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #408 on: January 07, 2022, 06:07:10 pm »
Hi all,

3457A in 7-digit mode versus 3458A.

Same voltage source was used split off to both DMM's.
I'm not a fan of splitting a source, it's just a ways to introduce noise to both DMM's, not to mention I used cheap Pomona cables. Oh well!

Near the end of the logging run I switched the 3457A into 6-digit mode, you can see the affect.

CHART 1:-
Both set @ 10 NPLC (lets see everything!).
Sample rate for both set @ 2 secs.
No. of records = 2238
Total length = 75mins

CHART 2:-
Both set @ 100 NPLC
Sample rate for both set @ 10 secs.
No. of records = 1554
Total length = 155mins

Check out those +/-1ppm spikes on the 3457A. Not sure where they came from, more investigation required.

Ian.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 08:21:29 pm by IanJ »

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, DH7DN

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #409 on: January 08, 2022, 02:07:06 pm »
Hi all,

New version V3.40 V3.41 in Post #1 available for download.

Added control in the Playback Chart so select between LINE type and a new POINT type chart plotting. This works on-the-fly so you don't need to refresh the CSV.
The POINT type is useful for a few reasons:

- If you have graphs plotting over the top of other graphs with LINE type it can get messy, so selecting one as POINT type makes it readable.

- On a very dense graph it's more readable.

- Each DOT on the POINT graph is an actual data point from the CSV log file.

- Per the example below of data captured from my 3457A you can see things in POINT mode that you might miss in LINE mode, i.e. see the alignment of the various points along the graph which is the resolution of the 3457A in action (7th digit).

- Some minor tweaks (9th Jan).

Note: I have also added a REFRESH CSV button to make it easier to refresh the graphs when some changes are made to the settings (no longer necessary to reload the CSV from file manually).

Ian.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 06:52:52 pm by IanJ »

The following users thanked this post: Labrat101

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #410 on: January 09, 2022, 06:36:29 pm »
Just to say thanks for the great work   :-+  :popcorn:

The full screen display with super large Numbers I will be able to read without my Specs
 I was going to do the update tonight .
Thanks .
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 06:38:51 pm by Labrat101 »
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

The following users thanked this post: IanJ

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #411 on: January 09, 2022, 07:00:57 pm »
Just to say thanks for the great work   :-+  :popcorn:

The full screen display with super large Numbers I will be able to read without my Specs
 I was going to do the update tonight .
Thanks .

I know how you feel about the eyesight.......many pairs dotted around for many different distances!

V3.41 just uploaded. Minor tweaks.

Ian.

The following users thanked this post: Labrat101

Offline hillflyer

• Contributor
« Reply #412 on: January 11, 2022, 02:27:42 pm »
Hey Ian,
I am still working on getting my Temp/Hum Arduino and WinGPIB to talk to each other.
I hooked up a logic analyser and it seems that WinGPIB sends out AT\r commands instead of the \n described on DogRatian's
webpage. (Unfortuntely it looks like he does not sell single units via EBay anymore.)
I have attached the Arduino code that works if I send it the described commands via the Serial Monitor.
It also works as a DEVICE, only still no joy in the Temp/Hum tab. Maybe a timing issue?
I checked the comms with Portmon from Sysinternals and it shows the data arriving but then being chopped up into 2 pieces which WinGPIB does not recognize as a valid reading.
Suggestion: Could you make the readings of DEVICE #2 show up on a separate scale on the right hand side of the graph window?
That would open up a lot of possibilities in displaying correlated data from 2 instruments.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Hannes

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #413 on: January 11, 2022, 08:02:11 pm »
Hey Ian,
I am still working on getting my Temp/Hum Arduino and WinGPIB to talk to each other.
I hooked up a logic analyser and it seems that WinGPIB sends out AT\r commands instead of the \n described on DogRatian's
webpage. (Unfortuntely it looks like he does not sell single units via EBay anymore.)
I have attached the Arduino code that works if I send it the described commands via the Serial Monitor.
It also works as a DEVICE, only still no joy in the Temp/Hum tab. Maybe a timing issue?
I checked the comms with Portmon from Sysinternals and it shows the data arriving but then being chopped up into 2 pieces which WinGPIB does not recognize as a valid reading.
Suggestion: Could you make the readings of DEVICE #2 show up on a separate scale on the right hand side of the graph window?
That would open up a lot of possibilities in displaying correlated data from 2 instruments.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Hannes

I'll have a proper look this weekend and try it myself.....but I asked Dogratian in the meantime, he says:-

So, is he using USB to UART adapter (most likely)? Or direct serial port (I guess not).
SHT30 -> Arduino -> USB UART -> Windows
When using Virtual COM port (USB to UART), the data may not deliver to the application (WinGPIB) at once. As COM port is async, there is no rule to determine what is a end of message.

The other alternative is if you come up with your protocol, and let me know what it is and I will implement another new device in my code.

I'll also look at your graph request this weekend also.

Ian.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #414 on: January 16, 2022, 03:07:18 pm »
Hey Ian,
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Hannes

You have an error in your code........void loop()
You have an extra "}" near the end......I wonder if that compiled but then gave you some issues.

Ian.

Offline hillflyer

• Contributor
« Reply #415 on: January 16, 2022, 05:38:20 pm »
Hi Ian,
you are right about the "}", and no it does not compile like this for me either,
I changed the code so many times, that I was not 100% sure which version I uploaded. Sorry about that. ::)
Thanks for taking the time for testing it!
Thanks also for asking Dogratian. Is there a difference between a USB CDC 'software USB' and the usual hardware serial to USB implementations like FTDI or CH340 in regards to what they actually send out and how it is received?
Ideally I would love another option under the T/H tab that opens a serial port and just waits for a data packet to arrive
(maybe 1x per sec.) and then displays it. So no READ? commands like for the multimeters. maybe 9600 8N1. I don't know if slower Baud rates are maybe less prone to timing errors. Packet format: TT.TT  ;  HH.HH CRLF
I am still confused about the differences between CRLF and \r\n. So CRLF stands for whatever the Serial.println() sends out.
I hope I am making sense here..
Hannes

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #416 on: January 16, 2022, 07:20:33 pm »
Hi Ian,
you are right about the "}", and no it does not compile like this for me either,
I changed the code so many times, that I was not 100% sure which version I uploaded. Sorry about that. ::)
Thanks for taking the time for testing it!
Thanks also for asking Dogratian. Is there a difference between a USB CDC 'software USB' and the usual hardware serial to USB implementations like FTDI or CH340 in regards to what they actually send out and how it is received?
Ideally I would love another option under the T/H tab that opens a serial port and just waits for a data packet to arrive
(maybe 1x per sec.) and then displays it. So no READ? commands like for the multimeters. maybe 9600 8N1. I don't know if slower Baud rates are maybe less prone to timing errors. Packet format: TT.TT  ;  HH.HH CRLF
I am still confused about the differences between CRLF and \r\n. So CRLF stands for whatever the Serial.println() sends out.
I hope I am making sense here..
Hannes

With the serial (TTL) port on my PDVS2mini's I just use a serial to USB adaptor (FTDI or CH340 I can't remember but both work) and it's configured as a "USB Serial Port" in Windows Device Manager. I communicates perfectly with WinGPIB for PDVS2mini calibration. Thats effectively Arduino code sending out to WinGPIB (Serial.write for simple sending to WinGPIB, and waiting and capturing any received data for the other direction).

If the wrong driver ever loads on the  serial to USB adaptor, I use the ZADIG app to set it back or play with various different drivers.
This happens all the time with my AVRISPII programmers!

Ian.

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
« Reply #417 on: January 16, 2022, 08:39:47 pm »
For what its worth my 3457A and my other 2 meter if I connect with a serial to serial  ( Not USB)
They all connect fine and the WinGPIB  See them all . I only ever used 9600 8N as my meters are all 30 yrs Plus
I normally just use the GPIB to USB . My HP6612 is only serial to serial to the mother board serial which most MB still have they are
just not connected but the socket is there . Might be worth looking . If your using a regular PC and not a laptop

Offline hillflyer

• Contributor
« Reply #418 on: January 17, 2022, 02:05:00 pm »
Do you use Serial.write instead of Serial.print?
write sends out bytes, print sends out ASCII characters.
I have not used Serial.write before.
If WinGPIB would be able to recognize 20.00;55.00\r\n and put it as the temp and hum values, that would solve it for me.

@Labrat101
Thanks, yes I, too can connect both with my 34401a as well as the Arduino Temp/Hum sensor to the main page of the WinGPIB,
its the Temp/Hum tab that gives me problems.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #419 on: January 17, 2022, 06:07:09 pm »
Do you use Serial.write instead of Serial.print?
write sends out bytes, print sends out ASCII characters.
I have not used Serial.write before.
If WinGPIB would be able to recognize 20.00;55.00\r\n and put it as the temp and hum values, that would solve it for me.

@Labrat101
Thanks, yes I, too can connect both with my 34401a as well as the Arduino Temp/Hum sensor to the main page of the WinGPIB,
its the Temp/Hum tab that gives me problems.

Both serial and println actually.

Example of my PDVS2mini comms as follows:

dacZeroCal[0], dacSpanCal[0] etc are LONG vars.
The others are text strings hence the quotes.

Just a portion of the serial send routine:-
Code: [Select]
Serial.write("BMIM,0,"); Serial.println(BatteryMonICMult);
Serial.write("BI,0,"); Serial.println(BatteryI,0);
Serial.write("CMS,0,"); Serial.println(Calmodesub);
Serial.write("dacZ0,0,"); Serial.println(dacZeroCal[0]);
Serial.write("dacS0,0,"); Serial.println(dacSpanCal[0]);
Serial.write("dacS1,0,"); Serial.println(dacSpanCal[1]);
Serial.write("dacS2,0,"); Serial.println(dacSpanCal[2]);
Serial.write("dacS3,0,"); Serial.println(dacSpanCal[3]);
Serial.write("dacS4,0,"); Serial.println(dacSpanCal[4]);
Serial.write("dacS5,0,"); Serial.println(dacSpanCal[5]);
Serial.write("dacS6,0,"); Serial.println(dacSpanCal[6]);
Serial.write("dacS7,0,"); Serial.println(dacSpanCal[7]);
Serial.write("dacS8,0,"); Serial.println(dacSpanCal[8]);
Serial.write("dacS9,0,"); Serial.println(dacSpanCal[9]);

Then at WinGPIB the PDVS2mini receive comms VB is as follows:-

Code: [Select]
       ' If serial port has closed
        If SerialPort1.IsOpen = False Then
            SerialPort1.Close()
            connect_BTN.Text = "Connect"
            CommsStatus = False
            Timer1.Enabled = False
        End If

' If serial port is open
        If SerialPort1.IsOpen = True Then

receivedData = ReceiveSerialData()

intPos = InStr(receivedData, vbCr)
            If intPos > 0 Then

' Parse received data i.e. KeyVoltage,0,1.23456
                If InStr(receivedData, vbCrLf) Then
                    Dim TempBuffer() As String
                    TempBuffer = Split(receivedData, vbCrLf)  ' Split out each line received
                    If UBound(TempBuffer) > NoCommsVars Then           ' number of substrings

' Flag that comms is running
                        CommsStatus = True

Dim delimiter As Char = ","

Dim substrings0() As String = TempBuffer(0).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings0(0) = "KV" Then
                            LabelKeyVoltage.Text = substrings0(2)
                            Replace(LabelKeyVoltage.Text, Chr(44), Chr(46))
                            KeyV = CDbl(Val(LabelKeyVoltage.Text))
                        End If

Dim substrings1() As String = TempBuffer(1).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings1(0) = "BV" Then
                            TextBoxLabelBatteryV.Text = substrings1(2)
                            BattV = CDbl(Val(substrings1(2)))
                        End If

Dim substrings2() As String = TempBuffer(2).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings2(0) = "BVFM" Then
                            LabelBatteryVFeedMult.Text = substrings2(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings3() As String = TempBuffer(3).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings3(0) = "OVF" Then
                            TextBoxLabelOutputVFeedback.Text = substrings3(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings4() As String = TempBuffer(4).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings4(0) = "OVFM" Then
                            LabelOutputVFeedMult.Text = substrings4(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings5() As String = TempBuffer(5).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings5(0) = "BC" Then
                            TextBoxLabelBatteryCharge.Text = substrings5(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings6() As String = TempBuffer(6).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings6(0) = "BLI" Then
                            TextBoxLabelBatteryLowInd.Text = substrings6(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings7() As String = TempBuffer(7).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings7(0) = "Mode" Then
                            TextBoxLabelMode.Text = substrings7(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings8() As String = TempBuffer(8).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings8(0) = "BMIM" Then
                            LabelBatteryMonICMult.Text = substrings8(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings9() As String = TempBuffer(9).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings9(0) = "BI" Then
                            TextBoxLabelBatteryI.Text = substrings9(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings10() As String = TempBuffer(10).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings10(0) = "CMS" Then
                            ' do nothing
                        End If

Dim substrings11() As String = TempBuffer(11).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings11(0) = "dacZ0" Then
                            LabeldacZero0Cal.Text = substrings11(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings12() As String = TempBuffer(12).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings12(0) = "dacS0" Then
                            LabeldacSpan0Cal.Text = substrings12(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings13() As String = TempBuffer(13).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings13(0) = "dacS1" Then
                            LabeldacSpan1Cal.Text = substrings13(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings14() As String = TempBuffer(14).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings14(0) = "dacS2" Then
                            LabeldacSpan2Cal.Text = substrings14(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings15() As String = TempBuffer(15).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings15(0) = "dacS3" Then
                            LabeldacSpan3Cal.Text = substrings15(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings16() As String = TempBuffer(16).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings16(0) = "dacS4" Then
                            LabeldacSpan4Cal.Text = substrings16(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings17() As String = TempBuffer(17).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings17(0) = "dacS5" Then
                            LabeldacSpan5Cal.Text = substrings17(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings18() As String = TempBuffer(18).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings18(0) = "dacS6" Then
                            LabeldacSpan6Cal.Text = substrings18(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings19() As String = TempBuffer(19).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings19(0) = "dacS7" Then
                            LabeldacSpan7Cal.Text = substrings19(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings20() As String = TempBuffer(20).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings20(0) = "dacS8" Then
                            LabeldacSpan8Cal.Text = substrings20(2)
                        End If

Dim substrings21() As String = TempBuffer(21).Split(delimiter)
                        If substrings21(0) = "dacS9" Then
                            LabeldacSpan9Cal.Text = substrings21(2)
                        End If

Dim I As Integer
                        receivedData = ""     'cleanup the Static buffer
                        'receivedData = vbNullString
                        For I = (NoCommsVars + 1) To UBound(TempBuffer) - 1             ' I = XX which is number of substrings plus 1
                            'retain any extra data
                            receivedData = receivedData & TempBuffer(I)
                        Next I

End If
                End If
            End If
        End If
    End Sub
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 07:49:47 pm by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #420 on: January 18, 2022, 02:59:11 am »
download link on first page not working for me can anyone else check

Just checked via another device, working here.
Maybe EEVblog server had a wee glitch.
Try another browser maybe?

Ian.

The following users thanked this post: Tj138waterboy

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
« Reply #421 on: January 18, 2022, 08:01:58 am »
The link
Worked ok for me as well..

The following users thanked this post: Tj138waterboy

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #422 on: January 22, 2022, 07:11:38 pm »
Hi all,

Playing with my 34401A DMM with WinGPIB......I can't get it to work in GPIB mode.
Google search seems to indicate that a lot of folks have issues with the 34401A in GPIB mode and switch to the serial cable mode.
Also, Keysight Connection Expert Interactive IO can't communicate either.

With both the Keysight Interactive IO prog and WinGPIB i can establish a GPIB connection on the correct address, but no commands are processed whatsoever. The meter doesn't even appear to jump into REMote mode (indicator on the VFD). It apoears that all writes are being rejected.

Anyone here got the 34401A GPIB working.....?

PS. I have tried both the 82357B (GPIB0) and the E5810A (GPIB1), and I have set up the 34401A with an address and it's in the right mode including SCPI.

Ian.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 08:38:40 am by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #423 on: January 26, 2022, 06:53:08 pm »
Hi all,

Been playing with my 34401A and still having problems with GPIB(Visa) mode so started playing with two other methods, i.e. serial mode via direct COM1 and ASRL1 Visa mode (still using serial interface).

Some notes:-

Agilent 34401A
Serial comms via COM1 on PC

There are two options, as follows

OPTION 1:-

COM1:9600,N,8,1,CRLF
INTERFACE = Com port

Set up the 34401A (via DMM front panel) for SERIAL, 8-bit, No Parity.

As a PRE-RUN or a SEND ASYNC command, SYST:REM must be sent first to put 34401A in remote mode
(after power up of the meter).

Mode selection of 34401A examples:
CONF:VOLT:DC
CONF:VOLT:AC

Getting data from the 34401A:
READ?

OPTION 2:-

Still using the serial cable but using Keysight IO in Visa mode. The Keysight app will map COM1 on the PC to ASRL1 Visa address.

ASRL1::INSTR
INTERFACE = VISA

Set up the 34401A to SERIAL interface and 9600 baud, 8bit, No parity.

Set up Keysight Connection Expert as follows:
Visa Interface ID = ASRL1
SICL Interface ID = COM1
Logical Unit = 1
Baud = 9600
Data Size = 8
Flow Control = DTR/DSR
Stop Bits = 2
Parity = None
SRQ Line = RI

Test the connection using Keysight Interactive IO
Send SYST:REM as your first command otherwise you will not be able to receive data.
Try CONF:VOLT:DC and CONF:VOLT:AC make sure the 34401A can switch voltage modes.
Then send READ? and it should return data.

Then, in WinGPIB:
INTERFACE = VISA
ADDRESS = ASRL1::INSTR
Enable Polling = unchecked
Terminator NewLine = unchecked
Terminator CRLF = checked
When you CREATE DEVICE the 34401A will BEEP.
Send Async SYST:REM first
Then you can READ?

Ian.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:40:02 am by IanJ »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #424 on: January 26, 2022, 09:03:36 pm »
Hi all,

New version V3.42 V3.43 in Post #1 available for download.

Per my previous post I have fixed the issue in regard to the 34401A DMM and I guess other such like problematic devices where they need specific LF, CRLF terminations.

There is now a new check box "Terminator CRLF" alongside the original "Terminator LF" [renamed] checkbox. If you hover over the checkbox you will get info on what they actually represent.

This allows the 34401A to work in VISA mode and using the serial interface if you don't want to use the COM1 or such like direct address, i.e.

Interface = Visa
Address = ASRL1::INSTR

Note: The  ASRL address mapping is per the configuration in the Keysight Connection Expert.

Enable Polling = unchecked
Terminator NewLine = unchecked
Terminator CRLF = checked

Terminator Info/Meaning:
CR carriage return……..moves to column zero without advancing paper
LF line feed…… advances paper without returning to column zero
CRLF……. does both the above
\r = CR = 0x0D = 13
\n = LF = 0x0A = 10 = newline

34401A GPIB failure:-
My 34401A is still not working in normal GPIB mode (not via Connection Expert or WinGPIB), it's not accepting writes whatever I do....faulty maybe?.....Hmmmm, I'll try changing the GPIB interface buffer IC's (2off them I think).
UPDATE: Reviewing other folks issues about the same, it appears the 34401A sometimes cant be set to remote mode. There's a pin on the GPIB connector for this, so will have a look there for any issues, possibly even a test hack!

UPDATE V3.43, I have also made a slight tweak to the PPM Deviation calculation on the Playback Chart.

Ian.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 12:06:14 pm by IanJ »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf