
After removing the external case, and its cork lined thermally lagged enclolsure. We are greeted with the large black Bakelite structure that forms a shielded box around the double decade resistors. I haven't seen a ton of Bakelite in conditions as good as this. It almost looks like a black Plexiglas.

When I unscrewed the inner case from the chassis, I noticed, that it had an impressive weight to it. When I flipped it over, I was greeted with the red gleam of copper. With some oxidation in parts. I was thinking that it is from the reaction with mercury, as I never found and mercury in the unit. The thermometer was broken inside the unit.

The first decade we are greeted with is the decade containing 20, 1milliohm resistors. Remember each switch actuates 2 sets of movable rotary contacts, that select resistors in increment/decrement pairs. Since these resistors are silver colored I will assume they consist of the alloy Constantan(Correct me if I'm wrong please.) When It comes to how the switches are wired up, that will come in a much much later post. That might be part of another thread

.

This shows the 10milliohm decade. These resistors are designed the same way the smaller range is, except that these are covered in varnish. I'm not sure why these are, and the others are not. I will need to look and see if the smaller decade has any parts filed off.

When we arrive at the 100milliohm decade we are greeted with a common sight. The same resistor technique that is used to create the resistors used in not only my 4232 Wheatstone bridge, but those same resistors(different value) as those in the 4385 Shunt box.

With the 1.0 Ohm range , these resistors are wound a bit differently than those in the 4232. These are wound on a segmented ceramic bobbin, as opposed to being wound on a ceramic bobbin.This is of the design that I have seen, as opposed to being straight wound.

With the 10 Ohms range, the resistors have the same appearance as those in the 4232, so no use in explaining these.

With the 100 Ohm range there aren't any differences with those in the 4232. The interesting thing with these is that they are mounted so close to each other that rather than having wires connecting each resistor to the switch, than having the trim on another section of the switch for that decade. The trim resistor is mounted on the base resistor, and a wire connects that resistor to the switch.

Since L&N doesn't make a 20 position rotary switch, they employ another manufacturers switch. This picture also illustrates the explanation in the previous paragraph.
More to come...