Author Topic: Anyone had succes in getting calibration history from cal-lab on used equipment?  (Read 655 times)

Offline aronakeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Anyone have had success in approaching a calibration laboratory to get historic calibration data for some device bought used?

My particular case is a Fluke 732B which according to the calibration sticker was calibrated in December 2023. It was bought from a surplus electronics store so they had no clue about anything like calibration. The unit seems to be from early 2000. It would happily pay quite some money if i could get the calibration history, assuming it has not been adjusted and it would give a good drift history.

I will of course make a try to approach the calibration laboratory and see if it may work. But checking here first to see if there are any experience in this area.

I think the chances i can get the data is quite small. And will offer money for it. So lets see. And much equipment get adjusted when calibrated, so history less important. But for a voltage reference that has likely not been adjusted, it would be very valuable.

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
I bought a used 732A and contacted the cal lab that had last calibrated it. They wouldn't give any official documentation but were nice enough to send me the last measured values and associated uncertainties for no charge. It is certainly worth asking.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: aronake

Online mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
I have heard one lab saying its covered by the Data Protection Act, but if a request came to me at the lab I work at I would send the results, though I might remove the company that it was done for.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
I bought a used 732A and contacted the cal lab that had last calibrated it. They wouldn't give any official documentation but were nice enough to send me the last measured values and associated uncertainties for no charge. It is certainly worth asking.

Keysight actually did this for me, once upon a time which was a few years back - before they forgot who pays the bills. I resold a used 34401A to member here that I had purchased on eBay that was still in KS cal. He asked if I could get a cal cert for him. I did. Perhaps it helped that I asked on my company email which was a $40B global company. Yeah, I know I shouldn’t have done that… but it worked.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf