Author Topic: Best out-of-the-box 10V reference?  (Read 65996 times)

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
Re: Best out-of-the-box 10V reference?
« Reply #175 on: March 25, 2018, 06:47:22 am »
Hello,

for measuring 1/f (0.1 .. 10 Hz) noise on references you will need typically a bandwidth limited low noise amplifier with 10000 fold amplification.
(3uVpp give 30 mV on your scope).

I have bought 2 VRE3050AS from DigiKey in 2011. (So short after Thaler was bought by APEX).

One of the main issues that I had was the high noise (3 uVpp typical in data sheet) and 9uVpp in average on measurements.
(Screen shot with 2uV/Div + 1s/Div)

with best regards

Andreas

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2018, 12:46:13 am »
Hello,

for measuring 1/f (0.1 .. 10 Hz) noise on references you will need typically a bandwidth limited low noise amplifier with 10000 fold amplification.

I have bought 2 VRE3050AS from DigiKey in 2011. (So short after Thaler was bought by APEX).

One of the main issues that I had was the high noise (3 uVpp typical in data sheet) and 9uVpp in average on measurements.

with best regards

Andreas

Andreas,   Any chance you could share the circuit for that 10,000x Amplifier?   I would like to build one.
Retired Pulsed Power Engineer/Physicist...now I just dabble in electronics

Offline cellularmitosis

• Supporter
« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2018, 01:22:07 am »
@Instaman, there are some good designs in this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/diy-low-frenquency-noise-meter/

If you are going to DIY, you need an input capacitor with very low leakage.  pmcouto found some rubycons which will work well: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/diy-low-frenquency-noise-meter/msg1214172/#msg1214172

You can also purchase an LNA from user Pipelie on this forum, if he still has some in stock.
LTZs: KX FX MX CX PX Frank A9 QX

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2018, 06:21:28 am »
Andreas,   Any chance you could share the circuit for that 10,000x Amplifier?   I would like to build one.

already did this in one of the LNA threads:
e.g. starting from here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/diy-low-frenquency-noise-meter/msg1148974/#msg1148974
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/low-frequency-very-low-level-dc-biased-noise-measurements/msg658078/#msg658078
one user here (mimmus78 ?) has built a more professional PCB from the full cirquit diagram (PDF) than my hand etched single layer design.

with best regards

Andreas
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 06:27:11 am by Andreas »

The following users thanked this post: Insatman

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2018, 07:21:46 am »

already did this in one of the LNA threads:
e.g. starting from here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/diy-low-frenquency-noise-meter/msg1148974/#msg1148974
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/low-frequency-very-low-level-dc-biased-noise-measurements/msg658078/#msg658078
one user here (mimmus78 ?) has built a more professional PCB from the full cirquit diagram (PDF) than my hand etched single layer design.

with best regards

Andreas

I followed that thread and it contains several spice simulations and a few schematics,  but I never found the schematic or PDF of your amplifier.   I was also not able to find mimmus78.   Lots of discussion of building out of discrete components but the photo shows two LT op amps.   Am I right in that the 10K:1 gain is done in a single stage followed by a buffer amplifier?    I would have guessed multiple stages but I'm not an analog expert.   Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks....Insatman
Retired Pulsed Power Engineer/Physicist...now I just dabble in electronics

Offline cellularmitosis

• Supporter
LTZs: KX FX MX CX PX Frank A9 QX

The following users thanked this post: hwj-d, Insatman

Offline mimmus78

• Supporter
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2018, 10:18:31 am »
Hello,

with best regards

Andreas

I have few more unpopulated PCB ... If you want one, just pm me.

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A5010 utilizzando Tapatalk

Offline 3roomlab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2018, 01:32:58 pm »
i had a little play time with the original spice model, and tried some numbers on it. it seems to work (the original file parameter TC = 20e-6)
but does anyone actually use it to determine compensation values?

but realistically speaking, if the VREF does have the TC on the edge of 20ppm/C, and the simulation seem to come up with a compensation for a certain range, would you still do it? (@ about 9th iteration, i found some values which give a "flat-ish" plateau even for a 20 ppm? how real can this be?  :-//) ** just to be sure, for the plot with the "flat", i added extra 2 points, the curve now appears to be a "S". a very interesting "compensation"
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:54:11 pm by 3roomlab »

The following users thanked this post: cellularmitosis

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf