Author Topic: Branded meter for electrical and electronic school  (Read 8752 times)

Offline dw8000Topic starter

• Contributor
Branded meter for electrical and electronic school
« on: February 24, 2024, 05:10:46 am »
Looking for a company that will brand a RMS multimeter for electrical and electronic school. We are going to resell to students.

I looked online without going to alibaba etc. but didn't see anything. Called UEI and they said they didn't do that.

Thanks

FYI

6000 Count
RMS
auto ranging
10 amp current
LOZ
capacitance
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 05:49:17 am by dw8000 »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Branded meter for electrical and electronic school
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 10:22:16 am »
That sounds like a strange thing to want to do, unless you are intending to re-sell to students at a discounted price. You would do better to approach a distributor and negotiate volume pricing on a standard model.
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: mendip_discovery

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2024, 10:58:28 am »
That sounds like a strange thing to want to do, unless you are intending to re-sell to students at a discounted price. You would do better to approach a distributor and negotiate volume pricing on a standard model.

I agree, I think approaching the likes of Bryman so you can do a group buy and you can pass some savings onto the students and they end up with a half decent meter.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 11:04:43 am »
You will be looking for a white-box manufacturer. But then who at the school will be responsible for servicing, repair and warranty? Also compliancing etc?

I'm with the other's, negotiate a bulk/educational /etc discount with an established manufacturer. Many manufacturers have a system in place for this sort of thing (even offering educational versions of certain models), as when they get their products into the hands of students, those students are more likely to keep buying that brand.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mendip_discovery

Offline Hullen

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 11:53:36 pm »
I know a lot of the trade schools (including UTI) have used Blue point branded TPI multimeters. They usually have the school name on it as well
Fluke 87V MAX, KPS 9000BT, UEI 525DM, TPI 192-II, Wamptek DPS3010U, Snap On EEDM504D

Offline EC8010

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 11:25:55 am »
Like the others said, approach a distributor or manufacturer for a deep discount (>30%) on a standard model. Test equipment manufacturers know that engineers are notoriously conservative and have serious brand loyalty, so they're keen to get students on board.

Strike RMS off your list. You're looking at a handheld DMM and they're rarely good for measuring AC above 60Hz. What does it matter if the meter can measure true RMS? When you get to a 6 digit DMM, bandwidth tends to be good enough that true RMS can be used for measuring random noise within the audio bandwidth (although I've never done it). RMS calculation on an oscilloscope is far better for measuring noise. And even then you need to precede the oscilloscope with a filter to define the bandwidth and a pre-amplifier to get the noise into the measurable realm. Students do not need true RMS. Students need cheapness and mechanical robustness. Oh, and a meter that doesn't eat expensive batteries (no PP3). That needs to be tested, not taken on trust from the manufacturer. Students leave meters switched on...

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 03:27:18 pm »
As far as I'm aware true rms meters are necessary in some trade specific jobs, lighting and hvac for instance. At least if you want comparable measurements.

Regarding 9V batteries, it's the convenience. A box of batteries and you have spares for the class. You just don't go buy them from supermarket in singles where they are super expensive. Get them from an electronics or hardware trade supplier.

I'm not pro 9V or anything, my workable solution for AA or AAA is low discharge NiMH recharables. But you don't want to pay me while I'm swapping or charging batteries out on a job. Limiting your options or going with a less convenient solution will come back to bite you in the end.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 03:30:43 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline EC8010

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 06:19:13 pm »
As far as I'm aware true rms meters are necessary in some trade specific jobs, lighting and hvac for instance. At least if you want comparable measurements.

I wonder if they're really comparable? Measuring RMS is tricky, especially if spikes are involved. And unless each meter uses the same converter in the same way, they're likely to be different.

I absolutely take your point on where and how to buy batteries.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf