Author Topic: Calibrating a 100A DC shunt  (Read 12667 times)

Offline enut11Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Love building/modifying/restoring test equipment
Re: Calibrating a 100A DC shunt
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2023, 10:56:10 pm »
Hi @JohnG. The fans blow fresh air into the tubes and work well.

Setting up for the first test with the new setup. Decided to duplicate results from Reply #1. DUT is 100A from Bulgaria and Ref is the 100A (MP, 2002 Cal).
enut11
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 01:20:38 am by enut11 »
an electronics nut from wayback...

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2023, 11:03:52 pm »
I don't remember if this was discussed already, but you could build up to 100 A. Say you had a DMM that you trust to 10A. Take x identical shunts, put them in series with DMM, and measure voltage drop at 10A. Then put them all in parallel, if necessary compensate differences between shunts with a series resistor, and send X*10A through it. Measure voltage across each shunt add and up for total current. Use this to calibrate one or more X*10A shunts or DCCT. Repeat until you're at 100A.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2023, 01:24:43 am »
@alm, it has some merit but outside the capabilities of my equipment at this time.
enut11

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2023, 01:35:06 am »
First test with new setup. Time was limited to 2min so may not be directly comparable with previous results. DUT (BUL100A) is on 34401A DMM.

Load resistor was much cooler (~50C cf 100C previously). I don't see any real difference now between the REF (MP100A) and the DUT (BUL100A).

The ratio chart is also close to flat indicating similar tempcos.

Need to think about these results.
enut11

EDIT: Fundamental error here. I need to run these tests for at least 4 min in order to use the 2002 calibration data to compute the test current and hence the DUT resistance.  |O
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 09:03:57 am by enut11 »

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2023, 01:45:10 pm »
Sure there is.

Linearity error is 3 ppm max and temp co. is 2.5 ppm/K max. Initial offset is 250 ppm max and it might drift by 2.5 ppm/month.

Sure they tend to measure a lot more than 50A, but they are so stable that they are perfectly usable even down into miliamps.

What other accuracy stats you need to know?

I went to the PDF, typed "accuracy" in the search.  Came up short and called it a day. 

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2023, 02:08:23 pm »
Isabellenhütte makes some very good shunt resistors, the RUG-Z
They can be loaded to 250W and they are very stable.
I have a few of their 1 mOhm versions and I am very happy with them.

At 100A and 1 mOhm you just have 10W power dissipation in the resistor.
The connection is done with M6 screws.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: enut11, 2N3055, eplpwr

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2023, 03:16:32 pm »
I don't remember if this was discussed already, but you could build up to 100 A. Say you had a DMM that you trust to 10A. Take x identical shunts, put them in series with DMM, and measure voltage drop at 10A. Then put them all in parallel, if necessary compensate differences between shunts with a series resistor, and send X*10A through it. Measure voltage across each shunt add and up for total current. Use this to calibrate one or more X*10A shunts or DCCT. Repeat until you're at 100A.
At high currents, the resistance of the wires that help connect the shunts in parallel will kill the entire metrology :(

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2023, 03:22:01 pm »
At high currents, the resistance of the wires that help connect the shunts in parallel will kill the entire metrology :(
Why? Each shunt is carrying 10A and using the same 4w sensing. Measure voltage across each parallel shunt and add up currents. Leakage current is probably not a concern at these voltages/currents. The only concern I'd have is shunts not sharing current equally thus being far away from the point at which they were calibrated, but that's why I suggested series resistors to compensate.

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2023, 03:24:28 pm »
Why? Each shunt is carrying 10A and using the same 4w sensing. Measure voltage across each parallel shunt and add up currents. Leakage current is probably not a concern at these voltages/currents. The only concern I'd have is shunts not sharing current equally thus being far away from the point at which they were calibrated, but that's why I suggested series resistors to compensate.
Yes. If you take measurements on each shunt, this should work if the current at this point in time is considered constant (the noise is not great).

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2023, 09:09:07 pm »
Found this listing on eBay, $33AUD. Anyone care to comment on suitability for shunt current testing? What else do I need to set this up?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/134745360474 [snip tracking parameters that were making the URL ridiculously long]
Here is the datasheet. I don't quite see the point of a device with 1% accuracy and linearity error specs. Don't you have shunts that are better than this?

From the datasheet, it looks like the sensor just needs symmetric power rails from +/- 12V to +/- 15V, and has a voltage output of +/- 4V. But I don't see the point unless you need galvanic isolation or the wide bandwidth.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2023, 09:27:37 pm »
Thanks @alm. Poor accuracy and poor linearity. No go. Cheap for a reason.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2023, 10:33:40 pm »
Test results to duplicate Reply #1, MP100A (2002 calibrated Ref) vs 100A from Bulgaria (DUT).

Leap of faith here: I am assuming that a 21 year old calibration certificate is still valid!

Calculated resistance of the DUT is now 0.607 mOhm, ie 1.2% high?

REF/DUT ratio  chart looks good with a small downward slope.

Still, not sure if I'm making progress here or just running around in circles.  Maybe the next test, 2002 Cal shunt vs Murata, will shed some light.
enut11

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2023, 11:20:50 pm »
This test compares the 2002 Calibrated shunt with the Murata 100A specified at better than 0.25%.

Calculated resistance of the DUT (Murata 100A) is 1.001 mOhm. Spot on, but is this just a coincidence?

REF/DUT ratio chart looks OK but with a downward slope. Also, been getting a weird oscillation during the tests??

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2023, 11:59:41 pm »
Third of a trio of comparisons, this one MUR100A vs BUL100A at 20A.

Calculated DUT (BUL100A) resistance is .606 mOhm, ie 1% high.

Ratio of REF/DUT is a rising plot. May be due to the small size/mass of the Murata 100A which is less than half of the BUL100A.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2023, 12:12:24 am »
Can we draw any conclusions from this project?

It is based on the assumption that the 2002 100A shunt is still in cal.

One result does seem encouraging, the 2002 MP100A vs MUR100A test. They seem to validate each other.

Until I get a better reference, I think I have done as much as I can. I played with test current reversals but the results were inconclusive. None of the shunts heated up by more than a couple of degrees - not surprising as they only had to deal with less than 0.5W.
enut11
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 12:14:16 am by enut11 »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2023, 12:42:28 am »
This test compares the 2002 Calibrated shunt with the Murata 100A specified at better than 0.25%.

Calculated resistance of the DUT (Murata 100A) is 1.001 mOhm. Spot on, but is this just a coincidence?

REF/DUT ratio chart looks OK but with a downward slope. Also, been getting a weird oscillation during the tests??

Interesting play time  :-+ Like any metrology you are now left wondering what about if? Time to chase the next level of certainty because 'settling' on what you have just isn't ok :-DD

I should rig up the 100A one when you get it back to me (NO Rush I am booked until the New Year) and hook it up to my 3-15V 60A bench supply and see what sort of comparative numbers I can get.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 12:44:54 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2023, 04:15:45 am »
Hi @beanflying. Quite right. There is never an end to it. This can be good or bad but always something new to discover. Now curious about those damn LEM sensors!

A bonus for me was discovering how stable PC PSUs can be. At 20A on the 5v outlet, after 2min settling in time, the Gigabyte voltage stayed within a millivolt or so for 5 min at least. Not bad for $5.
enut11

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2023, 05:05:00 am »
BUL100 and MP100 seem to have smaller drift or they drift in a same way after applying current. I'd be inclined to guess that MUR100 has highest drift since it is  physically lot smaller. But impossible to say without some extra equipment and measurements.

MP100 vs MUR100 ratio changes 0.08% during the test and it is more than I'd have expected as the shunts are operated at only 1/5th of nominal current.

What you might be able to do is add cooling fan right on top of the MUR100 and see if the BUL100/MUR100 ratio would be more stable.

The following users thanked this post: enut11

Offline trobbins

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2023, 06:34:11 am »
Another way to possibly get some more insight is to initially have two test shunts in series but with one shunt 'shorted' whilst the other shunt warms up and stabilises, and then unshort the first shunt, and monitor its change against the other shunt.  Then vice-versa, as a way to characterise each shunt's warm-up period.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2023, 07:22:55 am »
The easy way to test for shunt temp co. is to wrap it up in some cloth for insulation, stick a thermocpule inside then log the thermocpuple as you run the test. That way you can produce a chart for the shunt resistance versus temperature.

This way you can extract the ppm/°C temp co out of it. These characteristics are often not quite flat, so it also gives you an idea of how much variation in temp co there is. In order to check that you got the right measurement you can repeat the procedure with different conditions and they should all follow the same curve, regardless of the test current.

The way i did this test is i used a big boatanchor 500A lab PSU to send a large test current trough the shunt, measuring it as it heats up (Using a Danfysik flux gate to accurately measure the current). Getting it up to about 100°C. Then i switch the cables over to a Rigol DP832 where a script over SCIPI toggles the PSU between 9A and 1A while a 8.5 digit DMM mesures the shunt voltage. This toggling lets me null stray thermal voltages. Since the test current is much smaller the shunt cools down and i am continously mesuring it while it does so. Towards the end i unwrap the insulation about it to let it cool faster towards room temp.

So this way i get a test at different currents and temperatures in one run. At the same time also testing out that the shunt can survive the full rated current.

Also do use cable shoes to connect to the large screw terminals. For low resistance shunts the resistance of the block on the end matters, so you will get different results depending on where exactly on the block the current enters. Similar for where the sense wires connect (the block doesn't have the same voltage everywhere on it).

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2023, 10:00:08 pm »
Can we draw any conclusions from this project?

Coming up with any absolute value beyond what you already know is impossible since you don't know for sure how much each resistor has drifted. But you could try to estimate the uncertainty of your relative measurements based on things you can measure, like the noise in the setup (based on standard deviation of the voltage values), temperature coefficient (see post above), accuracy of the DMMs you use to measure the voltage (probably negligible contribution) and repeatability of the comparison between the shunts. Try reversing the current to see the effect of this, and varying connections (see the Ohm-labs white paper someone posted early in the thread). The result of this should be that you can see the ratio between the resistors is 1.xxxx +/- 0.xxx as 95% confidence interval (k=2). That should tell you how accurately you know this ratio. A lot of metrology is about ratios, not absolute values. Absolute values are just ratios relative to some higher standard.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2023, 10:16:40 am »
Finally received the Ultrastabs from ebay. They work great.
Used 6 x 10.5Ohm parallel resistors (YR1B10R5CC) as load, to get a total of 100mV/100A at the output. Used all coaxial cables to the sensor (+15, -15, output).

Offset was about 5uV ( 5mA), so could easily measure 100mA as 100uV after nulling this offset.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2023, 09:01:09 pm »

These shunts are great. How did you get them? I wanted to acquire one at home since I used them about a decade ago for calibrating things as the resistance reference.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2023, 09:17:36 pm »

These shunts are great. How did you get them? I wanted to acquire one at home since I used them about a decade ago for calibrating things as the resistance reference.

They are usually very expensive:
https://www.distrelec.de/de/leistungswiderstand-1mohm-250w-isabellenhuette-rug-r001-tk1/p/16057580?queryFromSuggest=true&itemList=suggested_search
(EUR 1.251,88)

I was very lucky a few years ago, when they were offered at a huge discount at Distrelec
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf