Author Topic: DIY precision thermistor/NTC temperature measurement  (Read 3757 times)

Offline MiDiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
DIY precision thermistor/NTC temperature measurement
« on: April 10, 2021, 11:49:18 pm »
Goal was to design a quite cheap dual precision temperature measurement circuit with 10kΩ NTC.

Target key specs:
Range: 0-60°C
Accuracy: <100mK (after calibration)
TC: <1mK/K
Short term noise: ~1mKpp/min
Mid term noise & drift: ~10mKpp/hr
Long term drift: <100mK/year
Self-heating: ~10mK
Cost: ~20$ (~10$/channel - single quantity w/o mcu)

Chosen topology is simple ratiometric measurement, consisting of resistive divider (reference resistor & NTC), ADC and voltage reference.
This needs only one precision resistor, a precision ADC and a jelly bean voltage reference.
As ADC a MCP3911 was chosen, cheap dual channel 24bit with integrated 1.2V reference.

Measured specs:
Range: 0-60°C (with some margin)
Accuracy: TBD
TC: ~0.2mK/K
Short term noise: ~2mKpp/min (estimated by eye)
Mid term noise & drift: ~4mKpp/hr (estimated by eye), -4°C: ~6mKpp/9h, 25°C: ~6mKpp/13h, 87°C: ~18mKpp/11h (measured with dummy resistors instead of NTC)
Long term drift: <100mK/year (~4mK/month w/o NTC - estimated by eye)
Self-heating: TBD (calculated 0°C: ~12mK, 25°C: ~8mK, 60°C: ~3mK)
Cost: <30$ (<15$/channel - single quantity w/o mcu) - with some tweaks and optimizations ~20$ should be possible

Quite impressive performance for such a cheap ADC that is not specifically designed to be used at DC...

Wanted to share this not quite finished project in addition to thread Measuring mK with small RTDs.
The measurements done so far are attached.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 02:36:04 pm by MiDi »

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DIY precision thermistor/NTC temperature measurement
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 11:50:27 pm »
reserved for future
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 11:55:11 pm by MiDi »

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Offline Anders Petersson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 10:16:43 pm »
Thanks for sharing, it looks good!
The self-heating will depend on the sensor, of course. Also, since thermistors have such a non-linear response over the temperature range, all temperature performance has to be calculated across the range. (I'm sure you're already aware.)

I suppose you don't connect the NTCs with long cables, given that it's a 2-wire connection? Your graphs say the resistance is 40 kOhm at -4 C and 1 kOhm at 87 C. Not too difficult resistances to work with, but without running the numbers I guess the tempco of the leads still is important at high resolution.

Do you use tantalum capacitors as the 3D hints? If so, why?

The C1, C2 caps are marked "MKS" and look orange in 3D. Looks like these: https://www.wima.de/en/our-product-range/metallized-capacitors/mks-4/
Do they have any advantage over regular MLCC?

R4 and C2 are the anti-aliasing filter that "attenuates the frequency content around DMCLK and keeps the desired accuracy over the baseband of the converter" (quoting the MCP3911 datasheet p 35). Is your placement of this filter before the buffer better than after? Can't the buffer introduce new noise?

Is R6/C17 a low-pass filter for the buffer? What's such a filter called?

What's the purpose of D1, D2? Won't they short out the signal?

The following users thanked this post: MiDi

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 07:14:15 am »
At 1 µF it is hard to get MLCC with C0G dielectric. The cheap X7R and similar types have higher leakage, significant dielectric absorption and may be pressure and temperature sensitive. So they are not the right choice for a low level signal.
One may argue that 1 µF is not absolutely needed. So one might get away with 100 nF, which is available as C0G variant at reasonably, though slightly higher cost. This is especially true if fast response is wanted and not 50 Hz suppression. The MCP3911 is a rather fast ADC. 

The buffer may indeed add new noise and interference - especially chopper ripple and spikes. So some extra filter between the buffer and ADC may be a good idea.

The diodes see a relatively low voltage, so they won't conduct much. It depends one the type used (schottky or 1N5401 may be bad, 1N4148 or similar should be OK)

The following users thanked this post: MiDi, Anders Petersson

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 10:54:31 am »
MiDi,

thanks in advance for your contribution.. I'm curious, which precision NTC you have used, and which reference thermometer, and how you did the physical calibration and characterization.

What I also find great is your methodology, i.e. by first defining the requirements and tentative specification, then make the design-to-spec, and in the end to characterize the whole work product.

Often engineers tend to make the design into Thin Air, meaning 'to put the cart before the horse'

Frank

The following users thanked this post: MiDi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 02:28:00 pm »
Thanks for sharing, it looks good!
The self-heating will depend on the sensor, of course. Also, since thermistors have such a non-linear response over the temperature range, all temperature performance has to be calculated across the range. (I'm sure you're already aware.)

Target sensor is GA10K3A1IB TT/Measurement Specialties with a dissipation factor of 0.85mW/K.
There are much cheaper ones with good enough stability, so option to cut cost - NTC long-term drift measurement p.58ff.
The sensor will be calibrated anyway, but you are right, with rising temperatures the required precision rises - especially in this not ideal configuration with high reference resistor (tradeoff for lower self heating).

I suppose you don't connect the NTCs with long cables, given that it's a 2-wire connection? Your graphs say the resistance is 40 kΩ at -4 C and 1 kΩ at 87 C. Not too difficult resistances to work with, but without running the numbers I guess the tempco of the leads still is important at high resolution.

For my primary purpose max lead length will be 1/2m.
NTC has ~2.5kΩ@60°C with ~90Ω/K, e.g. a 30AWG wire has around +-41mΩ/m in +-30K span.
This translates to absolute max +-1mK due to tempco of 1/2m wire - so even longer and smaller diameter wire is not an issue.

Do you use tantalum capacitors as the 3D hints? If so, why?

The C1, C2 caps are marked "MKS" and look orange in 3D. Looks like these: https://www.wima.de/en/our-product-range/metallized-capacitors/mks-4/
Do they have any advantage over regular MLCC?

Yes, yellow cases are tantalum, but could be replaced with MLCC - followed reference design which uses tantalum (p.20).
Kleinstein already gave the answers, in addition the cheap MLCCs (X, Y, Z) are microphonic.

R4 and C2 are the anti-aliasing filter that "attenuates the frequency content around DMCLK and keeps the desired accuracy over the baseband of the converter" (quoting the MCP3911 datasheet p 35). Is your placement of this filter before the buffer better than after? Can't the buffer introduce new noise?

Is R6/C17 a low-pass filter for the buffer? What's such a filter called?

What's the purpose of D1, D2? Won't they short out the signal?

C1/C2 MKS 1µF are for anti aliasing and reducing noise (emi) in conjunction with NTC & R1/R2, but are not effective at line frequency or VHF.
1µF increases response time of sensor only by some ms, which is insignificant as sensor has ~1s response time.
Would be worth checking if an anti aliasing filter between opamp and ADC input is better -  particularly if a more noisy opamp is used.

R3/R4 give some input protection.
R5/C16 & R6/C17 in FB: R for input protection, C for compensation of input/stray capacitance to GND (keep gain close to one at high frequencies).
Most opamps have input protection clamping diodes between inputs and inputs to rails, which can handle only a couple of mA continuous.
D1&D2 are low current jelly bean diodes (e.g. BAS316) for input protection of ADC, they are only slightly biased when measuring low temperatures @high PCB temperature.

thanks in advance for your contribution.. I'm curious, which precision NTC you have used, and which reference thermometer, and how you did the physical calibration and characterization.

Target sensor is GA10K3A1IB TT/Measurement Specialties, but all (released) measurements were made with dummy resistors (PTF56 5ppm/K @21+-1°C).
Calibration will be against a SHT35 in thermal chamber, which were used for TC characterization already.
Have 3xSHT35, which were calibrated against each other, ice-bath and boiling point of water and were in accordance to each other mostly within noise (+-10mK), ~+20mK@0°C and ~+100mK@100°C.

Overall the current version was designed to get the performance of the ADC, final version is targeted to get lowest cost/channel without sacrificing performance significantly.
Full project files will be released soonTM  ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 02:46:11 pm by MiDi »

The following users thanked this post: mycroft, Anders Petersson

Offline Anders Petersson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 09:32:32 pm »
Thanks for answering my questions!
It all makes sense. The only thing I question is the emphasis of low capacitor drift, as I don't think the filters and decoupling depend on exact values.
Looking forward to hearing more results. As Dr. Frank said, you have a good methodology.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 11:33:45 pm »
The only thing I question is the emphasis of low capacitor drift, as I don't think the filters and decoupling depend on exact values.

Not sure what you are referring to, capacitor drift or exact values are not relevant, "noise" is more a concern.

Offline Anders Petersson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 11:53:37 pm »
I assumed C0G were chosen for the low temperature dependence, but I suppose I was wrong.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf