Author Topic: Getting acquisition dumps / Reading DAV files [from Multimetrix 2025 DSO]  (Read 791 times)

Offline antoine22Topic starter

Hi,

I've seen a few topics under metrology about oscilloscopes in general, hopefully this is the right place, otherwise please let me know.

So, I've a Multimetrix DSO (2025 model, I agree that it may not be a well known one, but these days the innards of many instruments are the same, just branded differently), it can save data to USB as CSV or DAV files.

I have done pretty basic DSO stuff, capturing some one shot data at slow time base, putting it into "stop", zooming in the signal by changing the time base and time offset. So far so good.

I saved the data to CSV but I notice the files have only 16K points, so I'm not getting all of the signal I can explore on the scope itself.
The signal is not periodic so I'm sure the data must be in memory somehow.

Question: Does that kind of behaviour rings a bell to anyone ? Considering I can zoom into the signal, there must be many more points somewhere in the scope's memory, right ?

I also saved to another format, .DAV, and the file is a bit larger, but still under 64Kbytes, and does not look compressed, so still may be lacking points, and I did not find how to read it anyway [1].

Am I not understanding something basic about how DSO work ?

Thanks for your help !

[1]: by searching for .DAV format I arrived here: https://siglentna.com/operating-tip/oscilloscope-binary-data-format/ and then here https://siglentna.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2021/09/How-to-Extract-Data-from-the-Binary-File.pdf but the format does not match my dumps.

Re: Getting acquisition dumps / Reading DAV files [from Multimetrix 2025 DSO]
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 03:57:15 pm »
Nobody ?  ???

Any suggestions at all ? Did I ask the question wrong ?

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 04:04:07 pm »
There is a better section to ask your question - Test equipment, for example..

Online Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 04:26:22 pm »
... but I notice the files have only 16K points, so I'm not getting all of the signal I can explore on the scope itself.
The signal is not periodic so I'm sure the data must be in memory somehow.
But it only has an "Acquisition memory depth 16K pts"
Can you change the display to dot mode ? I suspect that the scope is joining the dots when you zoom-in.

But it only has an "Acquisition memory depth 16K pts"
Can you change the display to dot mode ? I suspect that the scope is joining the dots when you zoom-in.

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the late reply, got caught up in job insecurity...

I need to get the setup again to try, but assuming that the scope joins the dots, would it be reasonable to expect that those same dots would be dumped to CSV ?

The CSV is totally flat (aside from quantisation noise), while scrolling horizontally I can get to the portion where the signal is, and visualise it properly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf