Author Topic: GNSS RB (chinese)  (Read 8207 times)

Offline Leo Bodnar

• Frequent Contributor
Re: GNSS RB (chinese)
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2022, 09:37:48 am »
Would you publish that data?
God, no!  Even I didn't trust it at the time.  It was just a ballpark qualitative measurement.
Leo

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2022, 07:28:40 pm »
Now we are getting deep in the weeds. 
The frequency counter in question has a noise floor of around 1E-12 (found by using the same signal for clock and counter input) so I guess that's not a time-nutty level.
But it will reveal stuff about hobby-level equipment.
The frequency counter vendor spec says accuracy is 0.00001 Hz @ 10 MHz and that also sounds like 1E-12.

What I have been measuring is MDEV and doing runs of something like 8 hours or less (because you hit the noise floor by then).
In that time frame I don't expect aging to be a factor, in comparison with other things causing frequency perturbations. :)

But now you have me looking at msg 3396377  ....

Ken,

I was going over the message thread to see if there was anything I missed.  What frequency counter are you referring to?  It occurred to me that if you have access to a counter with a good reputation, you could use the Z3801A as the external reference and measure the frequency of the GPSDO-Rb.  This would give you a credible measurement.

Second, how do I find msg 3396377??  I've never seen anyone refer to message numbers on this board.  :-//

Ed

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2022, 09:35:49 pm »
[...]
Second, how do I find msg 3396377??  I've never seen anyone refer to message numbers on this board.  :-//

Ed

If you hover your mouse over the message title (or do a 'Copy Link Address' on it), you will see the URL contains the message number... 

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2022, 11:02:22 pm »
[...]

Ed

If you hover your mouse over the message title (or do a 'Copy Link Address' on it), you will see the URL contains the message number...

Yes, I saw that, but what do I do with that?  The URL also includes the name of the forum area, metrology in our case, and the subject of the thread, so I can't just paste 3396377 into the URL.  I tried searching for 3396377 but no luck.

Ed

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2022, 11:36:54 pm »
[...]

Ed

Yes, I saw that, but what do I do with that?  The URL also includes the name of the forum area, metrology in our case, and the subject of the thread, so I can't just paste 3396377 into the URL.  I tried searching for 3396377 but no luck.

Ed

I found a reference when using the "Google" search option in the dropdown.

For convenience, it is:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/a-simple-time-interval-counter-for-dmtd-work/msg3396377/#msg3396377

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2022, 02:50:18 am »
[...]

Ed

Ed

I found a reference when using the "Google" search option in the dropdown.

For convenience, it is:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/a-simple-time-interval-counter-for-dmtd-work/msg3396377/#msg3396377

Ah.  Google.  I think I've heard of it.   :palm:  Thanks, Silver.

Back on topic.....  Yes, the Parallax Propeller.  Something else that's stuck on my list of things to do.  It has some *very* nice features for us time-idiots time-nuts.  The creator of the counter program has a list of even nicer future capabilities but we have no idea if or when he will get time to do them.  It looks like his last update was Dec. 2020.  And he hasn't released the source code.  And the Propeller itself is more or less a dead platform since Parallax has come out with the Propeller 2.  I actually ordered three Propellers, but the place I ordered from didn't have 3 and was discontinuing the product so I cancelled the order.  Yes, I know they're available from various sources.

Ken, notice that the Propeller only has a resolution of 12.5 ns. so, by itself, it isn't really useful for your measurements.  However, it's perfect as a counter for a DMTD system.

Ed

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2022, 09:27:40 pm »
I don't know if I have to mention this, but if anyone else has one of these Rb-GPSDOs and can make some good measurements, please post them here so that we can confirm Ken's findings.  It's possible that he just got a bad unit.

Ken, would you be willing to pop the top off your unit and take a few pictures?  Good resolution shots of both top and bottom would be great.  We might be able to infer something about the architecture of the unit.

Ed

Offline FriedLogic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2022, 11:42:29 pm »

What's interesting is that multiple tests throughout the day always show the same offset.... it seems both devices are quite stable. Just that one of them is slower than the other.

That's pretty much how I would do it with that setup. The complication with GPSDOs - and particularly with rubidium ones - is that the filter time constants can be quite long. Taking measurements spread well out over a couple of days helps to get representative measurements.
   The scope should add relatively little uncertainty (maybe in the region of 1E-12 in this case) so if you are getting stable measurements close to 3.8E-11, that is likely correct.
   If you find the FA-2 counter, a log from it would show any fluctuations as well as the longer term average. They usually have small offsets that need to be taken into account.
   There are various other things that can be done, such as dividing the frequency down to increase the time range that it scope covers without slipping cycles, but if you already have a lot of similar measurements, spread over days, they're probably not really necessary.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 12:08:10 am by FriedLogic »

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2022, 04:28:52 am »

What's interesting is that multiple tests throughout the day always show the same offset.... it seems both devices are quite stable. Just that one of them is slower than the other.

That's pretty much how I would do it with that setup. The complication with GPSDOs - and particularly with rubidium ones - is that the filter time constants can be quite long. Taking measurements spread well out over a couple of days helps to get representative measurements.
   The scope should add relatively little uncertainty (maybe in the region of 1E-12 in this case) so if you are getting stable measurements close to 3.8E-11, that is likely correct.
   If you find the FA-2 counter, a log from it would show any fluctuations as well as the longer term average. They usually have small offsets that need to be taken into account.
   There are various other things that can be done, such as dividing the frequency down to increase the time range that it scope covers without slipping cycles, but if you already have a lot of similar measurements, spread over days, they're probably not really necessary.

I've been working on a rubidium oscillator reference project ever since I purchased an LPRO-101 way back in August 2020. I've been looking out for Rubidium based topic threads every so often ever since. This evening, I decided to see if there were any more recent threads on the topic and this appears to be the most 'current' discussion on the subject.  :(

Anyway, I was a little bemused by edpalmer's needless concern over the quality of the DSO being used to compare oscillators. He seems to have jumped down the wrong rabbit hole.  :) Anyway, I thought I'd add a few comments of my own whilst I pluck up the courage to actually start cutting out 40mm diameter ventilation holes and thus commit to the final enclosure build phase for housing my extremely well insulated LPRO with its fan cooled base plate heatsink attachment.

Regarding the quality of the DSO, unless it is seriously out of whack, it will have zero effect on the results when comparing one oscillator against whatever is being used as a reference from which the scope timebase is being triggered. There was absolutely nothing wrong about the way kpjamro was using his DSO to compare the two reference oscillators against each other.

When it comes to detecting whether the DUT has drifted by more than one cycle during protracted test runs, the infinite persist option is your best friend here. :) This was what I used when syntonising my newly acquired LPRO to my diy gpsdo's 10MHz output, initially discovering that simply using a passive heatsink wasn't good enough to hold the LPRO sufficiently stable against modest diurnal shifts in ambient temperature in my "lab", hence the thermally regulated fan cooler attachment and an initially inadequate 3mm thick layer of thermal insulation to allow the fan maximum control of the whole LPRO's temperature.

This initial attempt to stabilise the frequency against changes in room temperature did show some improvement but it was obvious that I needed much more insulation and a much larger enclosure than the one I'd initially chosen. I spent a few fruitless weeks searching for a suitable enclosure before giving the project a rest.

A few months later, I decided to make use of an old polystyrene frozen foods container from which to cut out 20mm thick panels to wrap around the LPRO and do some more testing. I'd decided that with that much insulation, the lack of an enclosure would make little difference as indeed proved to be the case.

Apart from changes to the temperature controller, that's pretty well where the project stands to date. I was now able at long last to syntonise the LPRO to my gpsdo reference sufficiently to see less than half a cycle drift in 24 hour long test runs using a solderless breadboard lashup that was prone to upsetting the temperature control if you so much as gave it a funny look.

This was when I finally came to fully appreciate the persistence feature of my SDS1202X-E (in particular, the infinite persistence option :)). Prior to that, I hadn't been able to see the worth of such a feature. :palm: 

As well as providing a check against cycle slip overruns, the persistence feature had also confirmed my previously estimated 6 to 7 ns pk-pk milliHertz phase modulation due to ionospheric disturbance and other lesser GPS system errors (the initial impetus for investing some 200 quid in that LPRO-101 in the first place! ::)).

As for the consistent frequency offset of kpjamro's Chinese GPSDRO, that surely can only be down to the use of a FLL algorithm, with a small rounding error (a 15mHz offset afaicr with the earlier GPSDOs), rather than the PLL algorithm called for in this usage case. Opening up the GPSDRO is unlikely to reveal whether it's using a FLL or a PLL algorithm (but it might reveal a JTAG by which to load a firmware update to correct this deficiency :)).

The use of a FLL instead of the more appropriate PLL algorithm seems a little odd until you remember that this guy is a radioham where such a slight frequency offset in the 10GHz band and beyond might be considered a lesser evil compared to the issue of phase noise being magnified by a PLL algorithm. I may be wrong but that's my best guess for what most of us here might think of as an oddball way to synchronise a Rubidium oscillator to a GNSS time/frequency reference source.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 11:29:33 pm by Johnny B Good »
John

Offline testpoint1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2022, 10:01:58 pm »
Hi, you need to know which Rubidium clock inside, and, my selling the Rubidium Clock that combined the GPS, I am in US:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185256532144

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2022, 11:23:04 pm »
Hi, you need to know which Rubidium clock inside, and, my selling the Rubidium Clock that combined the GPS, I am in US:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185256532144

Yes, I know where you're located. You sold me an Efratom LPRO-101 a year ago last August.  :)

EDIT: I've attached some photographs showing that LPRO I'd purchased from you.

The first shows it perched on top of the 1/4 inch thick alloy heatsink plate resting on top of what I'd originally thought would be a most suitable enclosure.

The second shows it resting on the heatsink plate, revealing my initial test measurements noted in black marker on the top cover.

The third demonstrates how woefully inadequate my initial choice of enclosure had been - it's perched on top of the custom built case that it's now destined to be installed into.

The fourth shows the LPRO wrapped in its initial 20mm thick polystyrene jacket still dwarfed by the more adequately sized enclosure - there'll be another 25mm thick wrapping of insulation plus 10mm polystyrene panels glued to the inner walls of the enclosure to prevent the warm/hot exhaust from heating up the enclosure itself.

The enclosure is going to be used to couple changes of room temperature to a sensor, the output of which currently sets the fan speed to match cooling demand and minimise over/undershoot and eventually allow me to compensate for their biasing effect on the base plate heatsink's temperature control.

Incidentally, the traces on the DSO are showing a 2MHz Sinc pulse from my modified FY6600 locked to the 10MHz GPSDO reference and the 10MHz output from the LPRO which is the trigger source. That had been my initial attempt to keep track of overnight phase drift due to leaving the LPRO "Hanging in the breeze". ::)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 03:38:35 am by Johnny B Good »
John

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2022, 03:22:38 am »
Hello all!

I've noticed that the attached images in my previous post did manage to attract some attention. The project is still a work in progress but in view of the interest shown, I thought I'd post a couple more images showing the more or less finalised assembly to satisfy curiosity as to its final incarnation.

I've had it assembled and running for the past three weeks or so but I've been rather pre-occupied with refining the code that controls the temperature regulation and compensates for the effect of ambient temperature on cooling demand as well as the minuscule effect of barometric pressure variations (~ +8E-14/hPa) to even consider posting an update on my efforts so far.

However, I've been itching to make some token effort at providing a brief update on my progress, hence the couple of attached images of the (almost) completed project.

The project is "almost complete" since I'd like to wire the "Lamp voltage" and VCXO EFC monitor pins to a rear panel mounted 3.5mm stereo jack and possibly do the same for the calibration tuning voltage and the 5v regulator dedicated to supplying a thermally stabilised bias voltage for critically sensitive circuit elements such as the calibration pot and the ADC reference pin on the nano mcu and maybe even use it to power an add on buffer to prevent the current ripple noise on the mcu's 5v power rail from polluting the PWM outputs.

However, this last item is going to require a mark II controller board since I've pretty well crammed as many components onto the current circuit board as I possibly can.  :palm:

I've given the images descriptive names. The full view shows the 'scope traces of the GPSDO and RFS with infinite persistence (GPSDO is the trigger source) and the GPSDO's EFC voltage (SDM3065X) in the background.

I do plan to post a full article on the project... eventually. I'm afraid you'll just have to make do with this mini-update and these attached photos for the time being.

John

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2022, 08:09:37 pm »
I've picked out some more photographs (19 in all so another post to follow this one) to show the transition from bare box with a polystyrene foam insulated LPRO simply plonked inside to the (essentially) "finished project".

I finally decided to rebuild a redesigned polystyrene 'overcoat' using 25mm thick foam (the original had been a bit of a bodge using 20mm thick foam and needed some improvement to better accommodate the nano mcu board I'd piggybacked onto the DC jack with SMA adaptor board that testpoint1 had added to the LPRO).

The pictures should give you an idea of the ventilation pathways which were designed specifically to minimise passive convective cooling (the heatsink fins are orientated horizontally to help meet this goal). The inspiration for this being the almost non existent convective cooling of FeelTech's (in)famous FY6600 AWG  >:D

The final seven picture sequence shows the run up from initial power on  through to reaching the target base plate temperature state. The bi-colour status LED shows red until "atomic lock" has been achieved, at which point it changes to green. Reaching the target base plate temperature typically requires another 15 to 20 minutes. It then takes another 12 to 24 hours to reach ultimate stability somewhere in the region of 1E-12 to 3E-13 beyond which, a daily ageing rate in the region of 1E-13  begins to make its presence known. :(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 08:22:59 pm by Johnny B Good »
John

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2022, 08:12:51 pm »
Here are the remaining 9 photographs:-

[EDIT 2024-02-28] I've added a photo showing the latest version of the oled display as a 'teaser' of my progress so far. I believe I'm now (at last!) very close to the completion of this epic project (fingers crossed - I've been making similar announcements over the past two or three years now ::) ).

« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 02:32:01 pm by Johnny B Good »
John

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf