Electronics > Metrology

Keysight 34401A

(1/6) > >>

cemelec:
Just acquired a new old stock Keysight 34401A (6.5 digit) at a good price, never used, original packaging, complete with all accessories and calibration certificate dated January 2016.

Its accurate in all functions according to the best standards I have - 0.01% dc low voltage, 0.1% resistance, drift after warm up is negligible. Full self test all pass.

A general question - what is the main cause of drift in such an instrument? Is it usage or age?  It has some age but no usage.

I'm contemplating getting it to a calibration service, but it won't be cheap. I know I don't need that level of precision, just want it. Also a cal certificate might improve its value?

Thanks
Charles

Andreas:

--- Quote from: cemelec on May 22, 2021, 03:57:37 pm ---A general question - what is the main cause of drift in such an instrument? Is it usage or age?

--- End quote ---

Can be both. (usually effect from usage is larger since the voltage reference is heated).

Another effect may be humidity during storage.

So I would let the device run at least for a week before comparing it to a standard.

With best regards

Andreas

HighVoltage:

--- Quote from: cemelec on May 22, 2021, 03:57:37 pm ---
Also a cal certificate might improve its value?

--- End quote ---

These instruments are very stable over time.
If you get it calibrated, most likely it will be within specification and no adjustments are needed.

The value of the instrument is greatly increased with a new cal certificate, especially if you want to sell it.
In addition you have a good reference point with the certificate because the cal certificate should tell you how far off the instrument is in all ranges.

Just be careful falling in love with such instrument, soon you have two and you do not know which one to believe!

cemelec:

--- Quote ---Just be careful falling in love with such instrument, soon you have two and you do not know which one to believe!
--- End quote ---

You are so right - I now have 5 oscilloscopes, at least 7 AF/RF sig gens, 9 or 10 multimeters, etc.etc. plus a mountain of components enough to stock a small shop.

Still, its mostly hobby so I don't need to justify it. The 33401A is so nice I'll be keeping it, I'm now searching for a decent voltage calibrator I can afford. Saw an Analogic AN 3100 DC Voltage Standard recently, supposedly 0.005%, maybe worth getting....

Charles

Andreas:
Hello,

I'd rather go for Ians PVDS2 instead of the AN 3100

https://www.ianjohnston.com/index.php/onlineshop/handheld-precision-digital-voltage-source-2-mini-detail

with best regards

Andreas

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version