Author Topic: Lady Heather v6 Beta for Windows .exe  (Read 91445 times)

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
Re: Lady Heather v6 Beta for Windows .exe
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2019, 03:04:37 pm »
TexasPyro

I stayed up late and read everything I could about clock bias.  I know now, there are two, one for satellite itself and one for receiver.  I know I didn't break the satellite.  (phew)  But what remains to be understood is is this good thing or bad?

I found one university lecture material that says it doesn't matter if we are only interested in time.  But I find it hard to believe.  I also read technical article by NIST and US Navy.  They explain it but don't tell me what it actually mean to the user.

Would you mind elaborating a bit on this?  At least tell me if I need to be concerned or not?  1 pps output will be used to discipline PRS-10.

Offline deepskyridge

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2019, 06:24:20 pm »
Do you know of a command for the UCCM gpsdo's that will output data that is easier to parse ?

Thanks
Gary

Offline texaspyroTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2019, 04:30:37 am »
Do you know of a command for the UCCM gpsdo's that will output data that is easier to parse ?

Nope.   You have to poll the device for any info (except the time code message if it is emabled).

Offline Gerhard_dk4xp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2019, 08:16:01 pm »
Hi,

the readme file from tinyupload .zip that I just downloaded says
that it is Version 4. Can I ignore that?

regards, Gerhard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2019, 08:52:27 pm »

the readme file from tinyupload .zip that I just downloaded says
that it is Version 4. Can I ignore that?

Yes... not much has changed that affects the build instructions since then.

I thought of another thing that might be related to what you are seeing.  It could be your serial port driver.  On Windoze with the Prolific USB dongle, their driver seems to start messing up data after several hours.  This can cause lots of problem... for instance with Heather v5.xx with receivers that output binary data, you could get wildly corrupted values.  When Heather tried to print them, a buffer overflow could occur which could crash the program.   Heather v6.xx sanitizes all data values so that does not happen.

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2019, 01:28:50 am »
<begging mode = on>
TexasPyro

I'm at a stage where I'm trying to package a Rb standard and include or not include GPS receiver.  Remember you helped me with this quite a bit?  The receiver bias graph making a saw tooth pattern, exact same shape up and down forever - I really need to know what this means.  If this is expected somehow or it is a bad sign.  Will you please help me out on this?  I read everything I can find.  Still can't reach my own conclusion.

</begging mode = off>

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2019, 01:51:13 am »
It's normal...

Offline Gerhard_dk4xp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2019, 02:30:17 am »
I thought of another thing that might be related to what you are seeing.  It could be your serial port driver.  On Windoze with the Prolific USB dongle, their driver seems to start messing up data after several hours.  This can cause lots of problem... for instance with Heather v5.xx with receivers that output binary data, you could get wildly corrupted values.  When Heather tried to print them, a buffer overflow could occur which could crash the program.   Heather v6.xx sanitizes all data values so that does not happen.

I do not use Windoze but Linux Mint 18.3, which is mostly Ubuntu. But the data seems to be corrupted with the 5.? version, for example the pps adev goes very quickly to e-11 land and then suddenly drops to e-2.
I'll look into this over the weekend. At least, it seems that I don't have to cut down some trees.  ;D

cheers,
Gerhard

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2019, 07:35:42 pm »
@Gerhard

I'm using Debian , and have no problems w. LH 6.x.
Using LH for a Tbolt via TCP->RS232  , and a Z3801 via FTDI USB

/Bingo

Offline Gerhard_dk4xp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2019, 07:50:47 pm »
Yes, V6 runs much better than V5.x on Linux Mint 18.3 since last weekend.
No more complaints!

Hama USB <-> V.24 cable with the fake RS-422 connection as someone
proposed some years ago on the time nuts list.

regards, Gerhard

Offline ZL1CVD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2019, 10:40:10 am »
Hello. Is there a version for DOS please. I have UCCM Samsung I want to try and install install in Rohde & Schwarz CMU.

If I need to compile source code, what compiler do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2019, 04:52:42 pm »
Hello. Is there a version for DOS please. I have UCCM Samsung I want to try and install install in Rohde & Schwarz CMU.

No,  Heather uses way to much memory to run under DOS.   At one time there was a DOS version that worked with only Thunderbolts.

Offline dekagon

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2019, 06:41:37 pm »
Hello texaspyro,
is it possible to run heather on a raspberyy pi 3B+ in server mode?
I compiled your sources quickly without any problems.
It is running fine on my raspberry but I want to collect data from two gpsdo's and serve these with the raspi over my home LAN if this will be also possible.
I looked into the heather.txt and the heather.cpp but I was not successful.
Also tried the search function but nothing comes up. Only the windows serve mode.... But this was already known.

Thank you in advance and have a nice weekend.

Chris
---

The following users thanked this post: ZL1CVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2019, 07:04:46 pm »

Easiest way is to connect the GPSDOs via serial to LAN converters.

The Windows server that John Miles wrote really only works well with Trimble TSIP devices.  You could modify it to work with others... the main issue is detecting something like an end-of-message byte to trigger sending / decoding messages.

Offline dekagon

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2019, 07:24:48 pm »
Thats a pity ... I thought there is an easy way to do that because the raspi is very low power consuming and could in the running time also collect a lot of data...

But thank you for your quick answer :)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
---

Offline dekagon

• Contributor
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2019, 06:51:28 pm »

Easiest way is to connect the GPSDOs via serial to LAN converters.

The Windows server that John Miles wrote really only works well with Trimble TSIP devices.  You could modify it to work with others... the main issue is detecting something like an end-of-message byte to trigger sending / decoding messages.

I decided to let the raspi do the job :)
It is the first joice for logging data and if you plug an usb serial adapter with an ftdi chip inside you can plug it in and it is working like a charm...
I used two of them for running two instances of heather one for my gpsdo and the other one for the disciplined rubidium...
I can access the desktop with vncview and the data with ssh...
That seems to be a really practical and low power consuming solution for that purpose.
The raspi 3B‘s do have enough power for these tasks and with the use of such raspi enclosures with fan you are on the secure side. Absolutely no noise ;)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
---

Offline dwholland

« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2019, 12:34:50 am »
Hi... Long time reader/watcher of EEVblog, first time poster...  ;D

I'm trying to use the latest beta from this thread w/ a RPI3, and a Lucent KS-24361 pair.  (via a couple of USB/RS232 adapters).      The end goal is (hopefully) to use LH to talk to the Lucent pair, and suck the GPS stats out, and feed them into a Splunk (or Zabbix) instance, (as well as make a pretty display) so I've been playing with assorted options, probably some of which aren't particularly intelligent, nor valid, to see what else I can get besides the usual log file.

But I did notice that a /ee=127.0.0.1:45000 option will keep LH from talking to the Lucent pair.    A little strace shows LH gets stuck sending "1819  write(3, "*PTIME:*CLS\n", 12)     = 12" over and over to the GPS, which doesn't appear to be syntactically correct to me...

Poking around in the source code, it appears to me that the sendout() routine really should encapsulate the static "x" offset variable into the COM_INFO structure, since I'm pretty certain the routine is used to send data to both the USB serial port, and the "ee" TCP/IP port, and things get relatively confused when outputing to multiple devices.

And FWIW, doing just that seems to take care of my "hang".  (and it shows the /ee option isn't terribly interesting for what I want to do. C'est La Vie)

Never the less, looks like a bug to me, and I've got a diff if you want it.    (Is there a GitHub/GitLab copy of LH you'd rather I generate a pull request against?)

Cheers!

David

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2019, 02:38:48 am »
Good catch, David.   It's been ages since I used the /ee feature.   I've fixed it (I think) in the version that I am working on now.

Offline dekagon

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2019, 11:55:30 am »

But I did notice that a /ee=127.0.0.1:45000 option will keep LH from talking to the Lucent pair.

David

Hi David,

thank you for this info :)

Hi texaspyro,
is this the option to switch on the localhost server mode?

kind regards
Chris
---

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2019, 11:09:49 pm »
I found a slight cosmetic issue.  The rubidium in my PRS-10 went into nuclear fusion today, and recorded several million degrees C.  When that happened, graph showed an obvious anomaly, and "Temp" under Receiver data overflowed.  Overflowed part was in red and 000C was left behind.  Subsequent normal data did not overwrite this.  Unfortunately, when I took a screen shot, that did not show up but it read 74.0000C(in red) space C.  An obvious overflow and possibly a string conversion issue.  I don't know what this is, but my PRS-10 does this every now and then.  I'd imagine these data are kept in array, so possibly, it can step over the next data. 

Can you filter out an obvious erogenous data or show 9999 or something?  Again, when I took a screen shot, it refreshed the display and THAT portion went away. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2019, 12:50:54 am »
Can you filter out an obvious erogenous data or show 9999 or something?  Again, when I took a screen shot, it refreshed the display and THAT portion went away.

Nope,  Heather is a garbage-in garbage-out display.  It shows what it got and will not put lipstick on garbage data to make it look pretty.  Altering the data for a pretty display can hide valuable information that might tell you what is going on.

You can do a screen dump without re-drawing the display with the \ keyboard command.  In this mode, it uses a default file name based upon the device type.

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2019, 12:40:18 am »
I will provide this screen shot for FYI purpose only then.  PRS-10 went wonky and returned extremely high value.  This is what happens after it returns to normal.  This is only a screen corruption.  I can refresh it and it returns to normal.  Another manifestation of this is it will say "C  C" and the last C is in red.

If you don't want to provide all data, as provided, I agree.  It's just that it shouldn't remain on screen like this.  YES, it is a cosmetic issue.  From one developer to another, I understand these are last of priorities.

Otherwise it is working great.  Any release day target?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2019, 01:25:54 am »
The red stuff gets left behind because the length of the printed value exceeds the allocated space.  I leave it behind as an indication that something funky happened in the past.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2019, 08:17:03 am »
Texaspyro, does LH support this GSPDO below ?

I assume connect thru the "GPS Out" connector ?

As you experienced in so many GSPDOs brands/types, any idea of this unit as I can't find any reference on the net.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2019, 04:16:40 pm »
Texaspyro, does LH support this GSPDO below ?

Probably not... I have no idea what it is.   Maybe try connecting Lady Heather to the GPS OUT connector and see if auto-detect comes up with anything.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf