Author Topic: Line filters for your Calibration gears and dmm  (Read 1538 times)

Offline opa627bmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Line filters for your Calibration gears and dmm
« on: September 26, 2022, 06:58:16 am »
Hi all,
I believe i have finally fixed my 731A i have replaced the 2 resistors at the gain opamp and 3D printed a small shell around the reference ic and opamp blocks.
However during the data recoding, i am getting about 30uv jump from time to time and not sure where it is coming from then i realized it is in sync with my light switch and outdoor acunit.
I have slapped a keithely harmonic reduction module that feeds both my 34470 and dmm7510 but can only minimize the effect. 731A is on battery so i think it is ok..
Is there anything else i can do to minimize this?
Regards
Li

Online strawberry

• Super Contributor
Re: Line filters for your Calibration gears and dmm
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 07:18:40 am »
test lab in steel cage or underground
radio amateurs turn off all devices to not spoil their expensive receivers (sensitivity <0.1uV)

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 07:20:11 am »
Debounce the switch(es) causing the interference. :phew:
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Online strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 07:46:30 am »
Debounce the switch(es) causing the interference. :phew:
if it is not SCR

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 05:38:52 pm »
Hello,

Did you already try a 100nF capacitor across the 10V output pins?
Eventually you will need a 10-100 Ohms series resistor to prevent the output from oscillating.

With best regards

Andreas

Offline opa627bmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 07:38:50 pm »
Hello,

Did you already try a 100nF capacitor across the 10V output pins?
Eventually you will need a 10-100 Ohms series resistor to prevent the output from oscillating.

With best regards

Andreas

Hi Andreas,
I dont have any output caps or series resistors, there is a 1K series resistor inside the Fluke 731A , but I will try it tonight.
will sliver-mica cap works ?

Regards,
Li

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 08:48:15 pm »
Hmm,

short wiring is more essential than the material.
At maximum I would use a polypropylene capacitor.

with best regards

Andreas

Offline miro123

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 06:25:45 am »
Hi,
I end-up with this configuration.
- line filters for room input grid cables.
- optical ethernet cables
- big metal plate for the test setups
- Reliable PE
- last but not least - setups runs on many 200Ah/LiFePO4 cells. See picture below for one  +-12V setup configuration. Battery packs are independant (floating). It reduces the headache with grounding.

============
All it begun 30 years ago with introduction of switching power supply in home appliance.
It started with TV, computers and end with PV inverters, washing machine and LED lighting, WiFi did not make life easier too.

PS: Isolation transformers did not worked for me. They had huge leakage capacitance

« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 07:40:09 am by miro123 »

Online dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 07:46:10 am »
For one of the setups here i am using a CONet shielded transformer that received an additional 3-phase line filter like these:
" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
(2x phase and PE). The transformer shield is connected to secondary guard, as well as the metal crate. At high frequencies that works as an inductive divider. With the line filter inductance of 5 mH and the cabling inductance of some uH one gets about 60 dB attenuation. A 100 V switching spike of a nearby device passes with 100 mV, still not a lone island. So one needs to work on devices that emit those spikes as well.

One day i intend to make a voltage regulator for that transformer. CONet also made a similar shielded transformer with voltage regulator (CEK 300), but that one switches primary coil steps with triacs.

Regards, Dieter
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 07:52:35 am by dietert1 »

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 10:18:40 am »
Hi all,
I believe i have finally fixed my 731A i have replaced the 2 resistors at the gain opamp and 3D printed a small shell around the reference ic and opamp blocks.
However during the data recoding, i am getting about 30uv jump from time to time and not sure where it is coming from then i realized it is in sync with my light switch and outdoor acunit.
I have slapped a keithely harmonic reduction module that feeds both my 34470 and dmm7510 but can only minimize the effect. 731A is on battery so i think it is ok..
Regards
Li
Check whether you noise is coming through your input wiring or via the mains supply by applying a short to the inputs of your DMMs and seeing if the noise spikes still appear. If they are significantly reduced that indicates that the noise is arriving by your input cables and you need to look at shielded cables and also make sure that ground loops do not exist between pieces of equipment or in the mains power connections.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 01:23:10 am by srb1954 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 10:35:17 am »
One easy to try technique is to take the mains lead of the interference source, and wind that through a ferrite toroid several times.

If it helps fine, if it doesn't then try something else!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline miro123

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2022, 12:55:37 pm »
If you are going to play with filters.
Assumption that higher Inductance is better does not work. The damping equation is D=Z1/Z2 not D=L1/L2
Look at Wurth video - 5:50min.

It is worth to follow the whole Wurth series "askLorant ". I wish those videos ware available before. Unfortunately I have learned this on hard way.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 12:57:51 pm by miro123 »

The following users thanked this post: opa627bm

Online dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2022, 04:28:48 pm »
The idea is to use the isolation transformer at low frequencies, the 3-phase filter shown above at medium frequencies, and a snap-on ferrite at higher frequencies, let's say above 50 MHz.
If one also works on the emitters, one can get pretty far. In my case i found and removed a problem in an old russian made stereo microscope, where the illumination runs from a transformer and the mains switch of that transformer was sparking.
In spring two Würth application engineers visited our lab and i bought from them these coils, as i thought they might serve with a similar circuit as in the 7000 reference. I would use a two layer board in between with a shielding pattern on each side, or maybe two thin ones with air space in between.
https://www.we-online.com/katalog/datasheet/760308101302.pdf

Regards, Dieter

Offline miro123

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2022, 09:24:40 pm »
Yes, triple stage filter do the jobs pretty good.
one advantage of those pi filters is that they are not perfectly symmetric. On such way they serves as common mode and partially as differential mode filters.
Thanks for sharing the link of wurth component. The idea is great!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf