Author Topic: Wanted (always !) : extenders/risers for Datron Wavetek calibrators  (Read 2729 times)

Offline jfphpTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hello,
I am looking for risers/board extenders for the DATRON/ WAVETEK calibrators 4000, 4200, 4700, 4708... (same boards) or, at least, the manufacturer and commercial part numbers of the male and female connectors to build a ribbon extender. Thank you.

Offline manganin

• Regular Contributor
Re: Wanted (always !) : extenders/risers for Datron Wavetek calibrators
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 06:44:50 pm »
The card edge connectors are easily available.

But every board type has a unique connector layout. Which is good, because it is nearly impossible to place a card in a wrong slot.

But the downside is that you need 8 different extenders. Quite a job to design and build.

Offline Henrik_V

• Regular Contributor
  • “ground” is a convenient fantasy
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 08:23:44 pm »
As far as I can interpret that picture , one extension board would fit all, depends on how the boards look like :)
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

The number you have dialed is imaginary, please turn your phone 90° and dial again!

Offline jfphpTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 09:29:46 pm »
Thank you for answers but do you know the manufacturer of the connectors or the connector's family

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 01:03:18 am »
As far as I can interpret that picture , one extension board would fit all, depends on how the boards look like :)
I suspect you would find a problem when you reach the slot with the ferrite transformer when using a 'one extender card ' approach  : :P.
How ever it does appear some slots could make use of the same riser. Looks like something you will have to make yourself for sure, and those sockets look like standard 0.1'' edge connectors to me.

As a random sample.
https://www.digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/2-5530843-2/A121041-ND/2310827

Nothing stopping you cutting a connector to size from larger ones !.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 02:02:23 am »
I have bought an extender kit for an hp microwave counter and an old Yeasu tranceiver from eBay seller sparko6079,  (no financial association other than happy customer)
Robert
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 10:22:51 am »
afaik, the original extender card has part no. 400625 and is there for Lithium Battery replacement.
If that is your planned use, you do not need it, because you can easily change the battery without it.

If you otherwise need an extender, here is what I found/tried so far:
original sockets are from "Dowty Interconnect"
similar connectors I found labeled "UECL England" (see att. pic.)

My plan was to use several double sided boards with stripes 2.54mm pitch  (see att. pic.) and connect them to the sockets via cable.

Offline manganin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 08:49:37 am »

It is possible to make a general purpose extender using five 48 pin connectors. But they must be open end type, which are very difficult to find. Standard type closed ends will intersect with the card edge if not exact same pin count / length as the original. The extra pins of the full length connectors also increase the card insertion force.

And unfortunately there are some components on the mother board which intersect with the full size card. So you have to design 2 or maybe 3 cards anyway.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf