Author Topic: HP 3458A on a "Pure Sinewave" UPS  (Read 991 times)

Offline Tony_GTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
HP 3458A on a "Pure Sinewave" UPS
« on: April 07, 2024, 08:27:46 pm »
Hey All,

I'm just wondering if there is any issue with putting my 3458A on a UPS? I wanted to keep the PC that I'm using to record data from my 732A up if a power outage occurs and I'm wondering if I should just keep the 3458A on it as well?

Does anyone have experience with doing this?

Thanks,

TonyG

Offline KT88

• Frequent Contributor
Re: HP 3458A on a "Pure Sinewave" UPS
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 08:44:56 pm »
Since UPSs use  switched power stage s it won‘t be the cleanest supply voltage. Although you could use it detached from mains there is still some HF common mode noise to ne expected.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 09:09:10 pm »
The only issue I've had with my APC SMT1500 UPS is that the small amount of conducted noise that it has interfered with the noise floor on my Fluke 8506A in the lowest AC ranges.  I now have it set up so that I can take it out of the picture (which requires both a shut down and unplugging) reasonably easily.  I haven't seen any effects with 10V references or the meters measuring them.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online johansen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 11:26:26 pm »
If its a problem then a 100 watt isolation transformer will fix it.

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 12:47:34 am »
Some UPS units like the APC SMT1500 (I have a few of the Dell/EMC-branded ones) have a "Green" mode which can be enabled or disabled.  When enabled, the UPS is essentially in bypass mode with most of the electronics powered down and you are connected directly to the wall until there is an event.  When disabled, it operates like a normal double-conversion or AVR or etc. UPS where it essentially is running the inverter all the time and there is no direct connection to the wall, in a manner of speaking (ground is always connected of course).  Also, there is a slightly longer delay before the UPS intervenes when it is in green mode due to the relay switch delay.

I've had most of my equipment on pure sine UPSs for years (in green mode) and haven't ever had any issues, but I can't say I've run any specific tests to see what things look like when the UPS is supplying the power or with green mode disabled.  It probably depends on multiple factors, so running some tests would probably be the best way to determine which is better for you.  I wonder if some filtering could help as well.

Offline sweaterfluid

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 08:46:12 am »
UPSs employ switched power stages, therefore the supply voltage will be less clean. Although it may be used independently of the mains, some HF common mode noise is to be expected.
hill climb racing

Online IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 09:14:55 am »
My tuppence worth…….
If you have a UPS that isn’t producing the best sine wave output then look at adding an isolation transformer and an active or passive filter/ line conditioner. You could probably build something quite small if it’s only powering a couple of instruments.

Hmm, might have a go at this myself on my own UPS.

Ian
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf