Author Topic: Make your own Rubidium-stabilized OCXO reference  (Read 2068 times)

Offline TheUnnamedNewbieTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
Make your own Rubidium-stabilized OCXO reference
« on: November 06, 2019, 10:30:29 am »
Anyone here know of people who have tried this in a more diy-context? I imagine that by far the hardest part here is the sourcing of the rubidium itself?

Some colleagues and I are looking at giving this a shot for our 'project friday' workdays. This does mean we have access to some good equipment from T&M point of view.
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline FriedLogic

• Regular Contributor
Re: Make your own Rubidium-stabilized OCXO reference
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 12:00:17 pm »
How 'DIY' are you thinking of?

If you're starting off with a few bits from an old rubidium it's one thing, but trying to make the cell is something else.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 12:35:28 pm »
Anyone here know of people who have tried this in a more diy-context? I imagine that by far the hardest part here is the sourcing of the rubidium itself?
You want to DIY-manufacture rubidium gas-cell frequency standard? This:

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 04:55:42 pm »
I imagine that by far the hardest part here is the sourcing of the rubidium itself?

these may or may not be suitable..
https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=1470
600 to 900eur, they seem to have both 'natural' (mostly Rb85 I guess) and Rb87.

There are some all-optical Rb-clock setups, where you only need 780nm light (frequency doubled 1560nm telecom laser) - which might be worth a look?

Offline maat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 10:32:23 pm »
There are some all-optical Rb-clock setups, where you only need 780nm light (frequency doubled 1560nm telecom laser) - which might be worth a look?

If you want to go the laser route. Check out Eagleyard Photonics (https://www.eagleyard.com/products/single-frequency-laser-diodes/) and their DFB diodes, but don't expect this route to be cheap. Better, but certainly not cheaper than a brand new PRS10.

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 02:56:52 am »
good luck
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rb-High-Precision-Low-Phase-Noise-Rubidium-Atomic-Clock-Soviet-Ussr-DIY/123737315177?hash=item1ccf519769:g:~K0AAOSw0VBctceW

If this turned out to be a combined cell rather than a seperate resonance cell or filter cell, that would be a huge stroke of luck.  I thought I read something about someone evaluating these cells, but I haven't seen any results.

Ed

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf