Author Topic: Measuring nanoamps and below like a Ninja  (Read 117031 times)

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
Re: Measuring nanoamps and below like a Ninja
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2018, 08:52:14 pm »
With my Marconi / Meratronic Meratester I'm in like a Flyn. Sensitivity (noticeable relative change) is somewhere in region of 50 fA.  ^-^

https://youtu.be/3HFX_nMm6D0

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2018, 02:28:05 pm »
We do have one of those brown bricks, Keithley 617. Nice piece of kit. I ordered some Ohmite high value 1% metal oxide resistors (100meg, 1G, 10G) and build a small setup with the resistors mounted on teflon standoff. After all these years without being calibrated the readings on the meter are still consistent.

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2018, 08:50:05 pm »
Accidentally bought myself Xmas gift...  :o

Source is Keithley 6221.

Oh well... I hope buying not broken modern equipment will not become a habit.  :-//
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2018, 12:11:02 am »
TiN, I am going to message you about the Keithley 417 PicoAmmeter w/ 4170 input head.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:18:14 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2018, 08:04:30 am »
Thanks for offer, Inverted18650, but perhaps some other eager amp-nut would like that 417. I already have enough of backlogged projects.  :scared:
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2018, 08:22:01 am »
That is a beast, can handle fA like nothing wow, minor teardown at least coming? ::) ::)

Offline VintageNutTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2019, 06:17:26 pm »
I believe that I have shared these resistors on a different thread. For this thread, these resistors are intended to be used with an electrometer to check calibration points.

One end of each resistor has a BNC jack. The jack is for the voltage source of the electrometer. Any leakage from HI to LO through this jack is not measured. So, this jack can be a junk BNC with no negative effect on it intended use.

The other end of the resistor is a 3-lug triax jack. This jack is for the triax jack of the electrometer.

These resistors can also be used with a sourcemeter. Care has to be taken to account for any leakage (if any) associated with the BNC jack.   

I had these calibrated at a primary lab in 2017. I will be taking them back again for a cal in February of this year.

I have no idea about temp dependence of these. That info would be needed for any rigorous cal usage. 
working instruments :Keithley 260,261,2750,7708, 2000 (calibrated), 2015, 236, 237, 238, 147, 220,  Rigol DG1032  PAR Model 128 Lock-In amplifier, Fluke 332A, Gen Res 4107 KVD, 4107D KVD, Fluke 731B X2 (calibrated), Fluke 5450A (calibrated)

Offline e61_phil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2019, 07:11:44 pm »
Could you say some words about the calibration in the lab? How did they cal these resistors?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2019, 10:29:07 pm »
Could you say some words about the calibration in the lab? How did they cal these resistors?

I can sketch the methodology, but I do not have total command of the calibration procedure.

It was explained to me that the calibration system is a bridge. The bridge uses a very old collection of Keithley 5155 resistors that have a long calibration history. The bridge also has an old Keithley electrometer. The remainder of the bridge is unknown to me and the exact procedure is also unknown. I will try to find out more details when I visit in February.

Attached are the calibration reports

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:38:49 pm by VintageNut »
working instruments :Keithley 260,261,2750,7708, 2000 (calibrated), 2015, 236, 237, 238, 147, 220,  Rigol DG1032  PAR Model 128 Lock-In amplifier, Fluke 332A, Gen Res 4107 KVD, 4107D KVD, Fluke 731B X2 (calibrated), Fluke 5450A (calibrated)

The following users thanked this post: e61_phil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2019, 10:37:34 pm »
I double posted and missed one. Here is the missing one.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2019, 11:10:59 pm »
Since you asked about resistor calibration, attached is a calibration report for my Fluke 5450A. It was calibrated against two Measurements International bridges. The low ohms are calibrated with a constant current bridge and the high ohms are calibrated with a constant voltage bridge. You can see that the 100M resistor in the 5450A is measured with better than 10X uncertainty compared to the 100M stand-alone resistor that I built.

Every measurement on the MI bridge requires a soak time of about 30 minutes. Very time consuming.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2019, 09:34:24 am »
That is a beast, can handle fA like nothing wow, minor teardown at least coming? ::) ::)

We're you asking me or TiN?  :palm:

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2019, 12:26:47 pm »

We're you asking me or TiN?  :palm:
Oh I was asking TiN, that shiny new equipment calls for a teardown

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2019, 02:15:00 pm »
Question to the Electrometer-ninjas about the K617:

As far as i understand guarding is only usable when measuring voltage sources with high source resistance and when measuring high resistance DUTs with the electrometer-internal-current-source up to 200GR.
With the internal voltage source the K617 is capable of determining the resistance/leakage current of higher resistance DUTs like a reed contact, but without guarding it takes a great amount of measurement settling time.
Is there a way to get faster settling time with additional equipment like an external current source or would i need a better Electrometer?

Attached is the measurement of a reed contact MDSR-10, where the long settling time is visible. Cable used: 1.5m Keithley-7078-TRX

Offline guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2019, 04:33:19 pm »
Question to the Electrometer-ninjas about the K617:

As far as i understand guarding is only usable when measuring voltage sources with high source resistance and when measuring high resistance DUTs with the electrometer-internal-current-source up to 200GR.

I'd rather think of guarding being needed only when very low currents are to measured (you could have very low currents with voltage sources of low source resistance, but those would be very small voltages which then pose additional challenges).

With the internal voltage source the K617 is capable of determining the resistance/leakage current of higher resistance DUTs like a reed contact, but without guarding it takes a great amount of measurement settling time.
Is there a way to get faster settling time with additional equipment like an external current source or would i need a better Electrometer?
I don't quite follow.  Why can't guarding be used here and in which way would you want another instrument to be 'better'?

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2019, 05:09:39 pm »
The K617 manual (page 30) advises to not use guarding in Amps or Coloumbs-mode and it also doesnt show a how a guarded charge/current (when using the internal voltage source instead of the internal current source)-measurement would look like.
Thats why i thought the K617 isnt capable of guarding when measuring current/resistance using the internal voltage source.
The idea of "better Electrometer" meant that newer electrometers are capable of measuring higher resistance with their internal current source while providing guarding, which reduces the settling time.

Offline guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2019, 07:38:42 pm »
  Yeah, sorry, not sure what I was thinking there.  In current measurements, one can expect a very small difference in potential across low and high inputs (<1mV "burden voltage") which makes guarding typically unnecessary. 

Do I understand the problem now correctly as being that the resistance of the DUT is expected to be so high (>200GOhm) that direct resistance measurements (where the 617 offers guarded operation) is not possible and for the U/I mode (which allows for notably higher resistances, but where there's no option to use the guard) measurements are slow (due to stray capacities)?

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2019, 08:30:52 pm »
Yep, thats the problem.

Offline MiDi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2019, 10:24:02 pm »
The guard is driven from the preamp output.
In Volt and Ohm mode the preamp output is just the buffered input.
In Amp (V/I) and Coulumb mode it does not follow the input voltage.
As the input is held close to 0V, that should act as a guard to bootstrap input/stray capacitance.
See p. 116/6-4 in the manual.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:27:33 am by MiDi »

Offline MiDi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2019, 10:27:20 am »
The last post is simply wrong, next try well-rested ;)

For Amp (V/I) and Coulumb the inner shield is tied to signal gnd - for both normal and in guarding mode.
It would not make any difference, except for active guarding there has to be a return path to signal gnd outside of the triax cable.

Online Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2019, 11:01:40 am »
Attached is the measurement of a reed contact MDSR-10, where the long settling time is visible. Cable used: 1.5m Keithley-7078-TRX

I would advise you to repeat this measurement with just an air gap of roughly equivalent capacitance as the reed switch. You may find that the settling time is considerably reduced. If that is the case, the apparent settling time is the result of the dielectric absorption of the reed switch glass, so it is a real effect of the DUT, not of the electrometer used.

Cheers

Alex

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2019, 01:22:59 pm »
Thanks Alex.
I did the following tests:
-reed-contact-surface covered ~80% with aluminiumfoil and foil connected to V+ while sitting on a teflonplate
-reed contact airwired between electrometerinput and voltagesourceoutput and without sitting on teflonplate
-electrometerinput and voltagesource-output sitting on the teflonplate without reed contact

You were right: the settling comes directly from the DA of the reed-contact, since i can see only a very short settling time when no DUT is present and the teflon-plate isnt the DA/charge trapping-culprit.

Im a bit disappointed that reed-contacts arent behaving better and would have expected that the aluminiumfoil-cover would help.
Ive seen that you measured reed-contacts with same results regarding settling-time, any hints on what can be improved?

Offline MiDi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2019, 06:18:28 pm »

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2021, 01:49:34 am »
Can these electrometers measure the leakage of typical small engine spark plug (dry&clean, but USED). I'm just wondering... "Metrology object".  :-DD

The backstory is that some time ago I was repairing two motorsaws of mine, which both had problems, one later was diagnosed a failed magnetocoil. The thing related to this threas was the idea to just quickly measure the difference between the really used and soothy plug and the new replacement with only a few tens of minutes runtime.

...It was not as easy as I thought, not a quick check of relative leakage current with my Meratester in series with 10Vdc source and dut (fA range). Well I did crank up my lab psu to full 60V ... nothing.

Not only after I changed to 1000Vdc source in series I had some form of reading. IIRC somewhere at Teraohm region.

Which made me wonder if I reached the limits of my setup, but obviously they must have a good insulators after all, but still.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 05:35:24 pm by Vtile »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2021, 01:11:49 pm »
I have tried used the Keithley 617 and the 6517B to measure the insulation resistance of new spark plugs and that failed, because the pure Aluminium Oxid (Al2O3) insulator is better than the ATTO Amp resolution of the meter.

But the 6517B and also the 617 can be very well used to measure the insulation resistance of ignition coils.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf