Electronics > Metrology

Measuring nanoamps and below like a Ninja

<< < (69/84) > >>

TimFox:
"Tension" is sometimes used for voltage in English, especially in the phrase "high tension".

Atomillo:
In Spanish too. "Alta tensión" (high tension) is a lot more common than "Alto voltaje" (high voltage).
In all other cases they are used pretty much interchangeably.

RoGeorge:
In Romanian, too, it's tension.  Usual (and academic, too) is to say, for example for AC voltage, "tensiune alternativă", as opposed to "voltaj alternativ".  "Voltaj alternativ" just sounds wrong, though the word "voltaj" is listed in our dictionary as a neologism, imported from the French "voltage".

MegaVolt:

--- Quote from: guenthert on June 01, 2022, 11:50:21 pm ---     I noticed that the Russian word for voltage has been translated into 'tension'.  I've seen the same in other documents (google-)translated from Chinese.  I found that amusing, as the German word for both tension and voltage is 'Spannung'.

--- End quote ---
Yes. The translation into Russian of these two words sounds the same.

2N3055:

--- Quote from: RoGeorge on June 02, 2022, 07:16:13 am ---In Romanian, too, it's tension.  Usual (and academic, too) is to say, for example for AC voltage, "tensiune alternativă", as opposed to "voltaj alternativ".  "Voltaj alternativ" just sounds wrong, though the word "voltaj" is listed in our dictionary as a neologism, imported from the French "voltage".

--- End quote ---

Same in Croatian.  Official name is "napon" which is tension. There is a colloquial word "voltaža", a voltage, but that is used very rarely and is usually a sign you don't really know much about electricity .... :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version