Author Topic: Null Detector based on Conrad Hoffman design check  (Read 6268 times)

Offline hozoneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Null Detector based on Conrad Hoffman design check
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2024, 08:40:44 am »
That's interesting, seems the difference is that your design has a + indicator as well as a - indicator.
Can you please share the LTspice file? I'll pack it with the detector files.
Later I'll share the KiCad source too, when all is done.
Find attached the .asm file for the 5V low monitor. As Kleinstein stated current consumption is pretty high, 4mA almost. Need to investigate an alternative way maybe.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2024, 08:59:53 am »
4 mA is indeed pretty high for battery operation. The alternative is a comparator / OP to compare the 2.5 V (half of 5 V) to some 45% of the input voltage. This could getaway with some 200-250 µA when using a MCP6001/2 and less if needed.

The following users thanked this post: hozone

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2024, 09:12:56 am »
That's interesting, seems the difference is that your design has a + indicator as well as a - indicator.
Can you please share the LTspice file? I'll pack it with the detector files.
Later I'll share the KiCad source too, when all is done.
Find attached the .asm file for the 5V low monitor. As Kleinstein stated current consumption is pretty high, 4mA almost. Need to investigate an alternative way maybe.

The wiring is different, see yours and mine.
Attached the sim file. Mind it is a sim only, I would highly recommend to try it in HW whether it works fine. Also blinking the LEDs might be "dangerous" for your design - the weak virtual ground might cause issues with 1mA pos/neg pulses.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 09:23:16 am by iMo »

The following users thanked this post: hozone

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2024, 11:32:30 am »
Thanks!

For the low voltage detector I'm moving to MX810, the one with 4.6V threshold, and I'll put it after the LDO. I've worked with MAX809 before (for other purpose), they work good. Do you think it will be ok even there?

I've notice the peak detection in your circuit changes regarding the led used, and op amp used. Find my asm attached. I've to check my design with LTspice too. For my purpose I think there will not be many blinking.

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2024, 12:02:04 pm »
The behavior of my null indicator changes based on
a) the opamp is rail2rail or not,
b) the opamp can work at +/- 2.5V
c) the LED diode forward voltage - with only +/- 2.5V your LED's Vf has to fit somehow (based on the color the Vf is from 1.6V to 3.5V, afaik).

PS: I doubt your above indicator may work as there is none feedback manipulating the input threshold levels..

PPS: Recommended reading:
Jerald G. Graeme: Applications of Operational Amplifiers, Third-Generation Techniques, McGraw-Hill, 1973, p.112
 ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 12:44:50 pm by iMo »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2024, 12:25:58 pm »
I've to investigate about that specific implementation, but I can confirm you I've one built in another project that works. It's RC4558 based, +-15V rail and it peaks almost +-8.5V.
Note: posting here I've notice this +-2.1V implementation has +- rails inverted, I've to swap them.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 12:29:31 pm by hozone »

Offline trobbins

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2024, 06:47:56 am »
Thanks for the thread - it has inspired me to start preparing a null detector to drive the original galvanometer in a nice 1950's PYE wheatstone bridge I tweaked last year. 

I had been using the mV range on an Aneng AN8009 cheap DMM in lieu of the galvanometer for much better auto-ranging and discrimination, but I think a bit of interface circuitry based on an AZ opamp could well do a much better job, and could be easily powered by 5V from an external USB battery brick.  The application doesn't need accurate FS voltage ranging, and the load is likely a few tens of uA (although I haven't measured what the meter FS current actually is).  I'll try and keep the original initial/final keying of the galv, and retrofit the final key with a 'super final' press-button.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2024, 07:50:13 am »
A power bank could add quite some EMI issues. With some care the circuit can be relatively low power and well get away with direct battery supply with a linear regulator, as shown. The OP-amp can also work with less than 5 V so even a single LI cell can work.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2024, 08:23:45 am »
In a couple of weeks I think I'll take this PCB to production, I'll keep you updated.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2024, 08:37:35 am »
Forget to post here the peak-detector based on my design. Op amp is 741, and like the iMo design, changes in the Led and the Op amp makes changes in the R5 detector resistance.
One option could be reuse the 100k trimmer already used in the BOM in place of the R1,R5 or use one trimmer in place of R5 and a fixed R1.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf