Electronics > Metrology

RANT - Buying a 3458A why is that hard?

(1/21) > >>

mimmus78:
I went to town to buy a 3458A but I couldn't imagine that it could be so difficult.

I can understand the average "ebay" seller but also the big players seems to ignore concepts like:

- machine manufacturing date
  - short term drift issue
  - cal ram batteries replacement plan
  - calibration history

In a few days I got some very genial replies:

- "I don't know how old is the meter" when there is an HP logo on it
  - "cal ram is working properly"
  - "if meter passed calibration it meets its specifications included short term drift"
  - "I can offer traceable cal (without measurement uncertainties) included in this price."
  - "We can calibrate only up to 7 digits not 7.5"

Really the level of the qualified T&M equipment dealers is this?
Last one was from when I was asking for calibration of my just repaired K2001, thought it worth
mentioning too as this coming from a cal lab is the most genial of all.

Anyone knows where I can buy one of this meter from someone knowing what is selling?

pelule:
I would recommend Keysight, if you like to have security on the status.
But you need the required budget for it.
Unfortunately "cheap" and "good condition" do not match by default.
Buying such a high precision DMM used means to take a certain risk in any case. And the risk increases, as cheaper it is offered.
Just take a look to TiN's "used" gears and the efforts he put in to get it back to a proper condition.

rastro:
You may want to join the yahoo hp/agilent equipment group and post a WTB 'Want To Buy' for a 3458A. 
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/hp_agilent_equipment/info

mimmus78:
Keysight asked me a reasonable price for an almost new unit not that much higher than the one selling on eBay.

Everyone is on a budget, but you are a dealer and asking me for almost 50% the price of a new one when it's a 20 Y old unit that you don't even have an idea if is ok or not is not fair.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 6P utilizzando Tapatalk

HighVoltage:
It took me almost 2 years to find the right one and I don't know how many hundreds of mails
I finally found one and was very lucky to get a good one
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-3458a-gpib-data-aquisition-software-and-options/msg1043469/#msg1043469

You have to be patient or spend a little more and get one from the manufacturer with warranty.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version