Author Topic: Solartron 7075 Cable and Displays  (Read 4074 times)

Online tggzzzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Solartron 7075 Cable and Displays
« on: October 01, 2016, 09:30:15 am »
It looks like my Solartron 7075 has given up the ghost; I can't be bothered to try to fix it.

Since it is old and big, I doubt that it is worth shipping costs. But it does have two things that people might want and which it would be cheaper to ship:
  • the input cable, Lemo connector, 4 wires + banana sockets, shield
  • working Panaplex displays on a circuit board

Any comments?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Solartron 7075 Cable and Displays
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 03:03:19 am »
Hello,
sorry for the slow reply.

I always need an extra meter, there is still space in the pit of despair. Would you want to ship it to my Vienna office?
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 09:09:48 am »
Hello,
sorry for the slow reply.

I always need an extra meter, there is still space in the pit of despair. Would you want to ship it to my Vienna office?

I would consider that, but be aware that it is no longer a meter. Is is broken, defunct, deceased, an ex-meter :)

I suspect the only salvageable bits are the display/driver and the cable; I presume the analog circuits are beyond repair.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 06:02:47 pm »
Is there any chance that Solartron 7071/7081 might be using the same connector? There aren't many pictures of the 7075 available online, but the input jack seems to have the same pin arrangement, just rotated.

I have a Solartron 7081 which I scored on an auction quite some time ago, but it didn't come with any accessories, so I'd be very happy to take the cable off your hands if it happens to be the right type. :)
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 06:35:52 pm »
Unless damaged by something like really high energy over-voltage (thus larger burnt areas) or a significant to high supply, chances are good that damage in the analog section is repairable.

Depending on the parts that are broken one may not get full specs easy, but at least close. The good thing is that schematics are available and mainly of the shelf parts.

Offline guido

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 06:55:31 pm »
I could use the panaplex displays as spares for two Data Precision meters. But it would be a sacrifice to part up such a nice meter.
I would also be interested in all of it, but i'm not the first one  :)

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 11:52:11 pm »
Well Folks, now this is a bit hard. I would take a stab at repairing the unit - it is all through hole, so I should be able to work it ;)

Re the Panaplex displays: I am, in fact, thinking about creating a new age technology replacement for these once I have the meter running. Would this be something you guys are interested in?
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 01:03:32 am »
Talk to feedback.loop . He made a display for his datron.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 01:40:31 am »
Hello,
my target is a bit "more" than that. I am sitting on a library worth of all kinds of data processing and diagramming algorithms ;)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 07:40:47 am »
Thanks for all the replies; they are interesting.

I don't know about the 7075/7081 cable correspondance. The connector's pins are a completely symmetrical pentagon plus a centre pin. The orientation is determined solely by the connector body, which makes visually determining the orientation error prone. The surest way to proceed would be to compare the schematics and parts lists. Alternatively, if that becomes a serious consideration, I might be able to see something more unambiguous after disassembly.

I too share a dislike of breaking up an old instrument, but I'm sceptical the analogue section can be revitalised without significant repair and corresponding complete recalibration.

I think I'm going to keep an eye on fleabay until the new year, and then decide. My mind might be changed if someone throws obscene amounts of money at me :)

Offline wiss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 08:33:08 am »
I would have a few spare parts if any one want to repair it, only the input and switching transistors in the analog section are unobtainium as far as I remember and I have not seen those break yet...

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 08:45:37 am »
Hello,
so the meter isnt going to be shipped for now. A pity...I would have looked forward to another repair project ;(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf